billvon

Number 3

That's cool. You know, keep getting patents and maybe step 3 will happen for you, that would be a good thing and I'd be very happy for you!

I'm working on a couple of things with a partner of mine that will end up being patented. When we get closer to that point, I'm going to be dropping you a line for some unofficial advice.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, as I said, I'm not the world's biggest fan of the USPTO. In my not so humble opinion, they set the bar for 'not obvious to a practitioner skilled in the art*' far too low when determining whether to grant a patent.

Still, well done on having three patents to your name.

* from memory; it's probably not exactly correct.

>Is this about the same?

Not really. You have five buttons that your fingers/thumb touch when you hold the phone normally. To type "hello" you'd use:

H first and second fingers push their buttons
E first finger pushes its button
L second and third fingers push their buttons
L second and third fingers push their buttons
O fourth finger pushes its button.

That way you can type as fast as you can press the buttons without having to move your fingers or look at the screen.

But let's say you forget what the combinations are. You look at the screen. It says "E T A O" next to the four buttons for your fingers. If you want to type E you just push the button next to the E. If you want to type H you push the E button and the display changes to E H X Z So you press the second button to get H. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you're used to it you can type pretty quickly without looking.

In a way it's similar to using a valved trumpet; different combinations of the valves give you notes A to G. You just have to remember the combinations.

congrats, my father just got awarded a patent with GE... he gets to keep the "created" by line while GE takes the ownership......

so when should we expect to see this on our cell phones??? it sure is a pain to hit all the keys like 3 times to get the right letter.. not that i send text messages much...

If you've got a phone manufactured in the last four years, you can just turn on the T9 dictionary... it takes a little while to get used to, but it's great.

Bullshit. The last time I had it turned on I chunked my phone across the yard in a hissy fit over trying to simply type a txt message.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you've got a phone manufactured in the last four years, you can just turn on the T9 dictionary... it takes a little while to get used to, but it's great.

Bullshit. The last time I had it turned on I chunked my phone across the yard in a hissy fit over trying to simply type a txt message.:P

I know exactly what you mean.
If I want to send a message I'll plug the fone into the laptop

An for us people with big fingers it's a nightmare

Gone fishing

I just told my daughter about your accomplishments. She said, "don't ever introduce him to me, I'll feel so stupid." :ph34r:

That's one of the things about being Bill's friend, is that you would never know just how smart he really is, cause he doesn't act it. :ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just got awarded patent #3, for a way to enter text into a phone that doesn't involve pushing the 5 button 3 times to get an L. I always hated that.

Not surprising that someone called Bill thought of it then. ;)

Congratulations Bill, i'm sure many women called Lilly will be singing your praises. :P

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning