murrays

Hunter S. Thompson Suicide?

CNN has a breaking news banner that HST has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Bummer.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Who the fuk is Hunter S.

A wild man that wrote several books I enjoyed immensely. Google him.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

MSN

ASPEN, Colo. - Hunter S. Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularized a new form of fictional journalism in books like “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas,” fatally shot himself Sunday night at his home, his son said. He was 67.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News.

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson’s time in Las Vegas, he is credited with pioneering New Journalism — or “gonzo journalism” — in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story.

An acute observer of the decadence and depravity in American life, Thompson wrote such books as “Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail” in 1973 and the collections “Generation of Swine” and “Songs of the Doomed.” His first ever novel, “The Rum Diary,” written in 1959, was first published in 1998.

Other books include “Hell’s Angels” and “The Proud Highway.” His most recent effort was “Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and The Downward Spiral of Dumbness.”

HST was a 60s/70s counter-culture writer/icon.
He was the inspiration for the Doonesbury character Uncle Duke. The jokes about him drunkenly shooting his Luger at John Denver were not too far off.

During the 70s, he wrote articles for Playboy. Like any writer, he had good/bad days. He was a product of the times, prone to excess in vices.

Probably his most memorable story was when he lived with the Hells Angels for a while. When he got out of hand, the HAs beat him up pretty well. There again, when your behavior is too outlandish for the HAs... you are out of hand.

If he shot himself, it wasn't by accident.

Talent can't save you. It can be a curse. Time can't save you. You just get more tired. Truth, too, can't save you. People believe what they want to, whatever fits their preconceived notion of "reality".

Depression kills.

Thanks for all the adventures and thoughts you've provoked, Mr. Thompson. Godspeed, and God bless.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Wow – I heard it here first and I must admit I am taken off guard and shocked. I borrowed a copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas from a friend maybe 13 years ago – when I finished reading it I promptly stole my own copy from a bookstore in the mall near my house. While I haven’t read everything he has written, I’ve read a great chunk and have enjoyed most of it.

Unbelievable.

neil

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. - Hunter S. Thompson

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Very sad indeed. Thompson was an addiction that was hard to shake. After reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in 1973 I was hooked. Went through Woody Creek one year and stopped at the tavern he dranked at in hope of meeting the Great Man. Unfortunate for me he was out of town. The Doctor will be greatly missed by all he hooked with such elegant style and originality. Sadly the Doctor is out.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Something the Doctor wrote many years ago.

Security
by Hunter S. Thompson (1955).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Security ... what does this word mean in relation to life as we know it today? For the most part, it means safety and freedom from worry. It is said to be the end that all men strive for; but is security a utopian goal or is it another word for rut?

Let us visualize the secure man; and by this term, I mean a man who has settled for financial arid personal security for his goal in life. In general, he is a man who has pushed ambition and initiative aside and settled down, so to speak, in a boring, but safe and comfortable rut for the rest of his life. His future is but an extension of his present, and he accepts it as such with a complacent shrug of his shoulders. His ideas and ideals are those of society in general and he is accepted as a respectable, but average and prosaic man. But is he a man? has he any self-respect or pride in himself? How could he, when he has risked nothing and gained nothing? What does he think when he sees his youthful dreams of adventure, accomplishment, travel and romance buried under the cloak of conformity? How does he feel when he realizes that be has barely tasted the meal of life; when he sees the prison he has made for himself in pursuit of the almighty dollar? If he thinks this is all well and good, fine, but think of the tragedy of a man who has sacrificed his freedom on the altar of security, and wishes he could turn back the hands of time. A man is to be pitied who lacked the courage to accept the challenge of freedom and depart from the cushion of security and see life as it is instead of living it second-band. Life his by-passed this man and he has watched from a secure place, afraid to seek anything better What has he done except to sit and wait for the tomorrow which never comes?

Turn back the pages of history and see the men who have shaped the destiny of the world. Security was never theirs, but they lived rather than existed. Where would the world he if all men had sought security and not taken risks or gambled with their lives on the chance that, if they won, life would be different and richer? It is from the bystanders (who are in the vast majority) that we receive the propaganda that life is not worth living, that life is drudgery, that the ambitions of youth must he laid aside for a life which is but a painful wait for death. These are the ones who squeeze what excitement they can from life out of the imaginations and experiences of others through books and movies. These are the insignificant and forgotten men who preach conformity because it is all they know. These are the men who dream at night of what could have been, but who wake at dawn to take their places at the now- familiar rut and to merely exist through another day. For them, the romance of life is long dead and they are forced to go through the years on a treadmill, cursing their existence, yet afraid to die because of the unknown which faces them after death. They lacked the only true courage: the kind which enables men to face the unknown regardless of the consequences.

As an afterthought, it seems hardly proper to write of life without once mentioning happiness; so we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Who the fuk is Hunter S.

It so pangs me when someone asks a question like that B|.
But I like to see it as an opportunity for enlightenment.
...And while you're at it, look up Ken Kesey (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, et.al.), and William Burroughs (The Naked Lunch, et.al.). Better yet, f*ck the internet and just go into BN and grab the first paperback you see by any of them. They lived in that dark alley just outside the intersection of Sanity and Society, where a now nearly extinct commmunity of geniuses hung out. And they make me kind of disappointed to be part of the Stephen King generation.

I saw an interview with him about a year ago, must've been one of his last. He was pretty far gone :S and his best work was already done, but the world is a little less interesting now.

And he would've made a great skydiver.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Hell, while you're at the book center, grab Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, which completely describes that era. (Its essentially about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters). Get Kerouac's On the Road, and grab Paul Perry's Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson which is a biography of Thompson. He lived a very interesting life, and did things most people couldn't even dream about.
This ad space for sale.

FUCK. That guy was my idol for the longest time.

Kind of reminds me of the people that idolized Hendrix and Presley. Sad. I didn't mean to belittle him just didn't know who he was.
Blue skies,your pain on earth has ended but the hell you left behind just began for those you may have left behind. Suicide is the easy way out. Sticking it out is when all seems lost what heros do.

Hell, while you're at the book center, grab Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, which completely describes that era. (Its essentially about Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters). Get Kerouac's On the Road, and grab Paul Perry's Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson which is a biography of Thompson. He lived a very interesting life, and did things most people couldn't even dream about.

Ah, Ken Kesey. I haven't thought about him in years. Ever read "Sometimes a Great Notion"? I read it 3 times. What a great book.

Hell, while you're at the book center

And if you need a book center, try the City Lights Bookstore in San Francisco. It was at the birth of the movement that eventually led to HST.

Rest in peace, Hunter, it's been a very weird trip.

"A word to the wise is infuriating. " - Hunter S Thompson
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Very sad indeed. Thompson was an addiction that was hard to shake. After reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in 1973 I was hooked. Went through Woody Creek one year and stopped at the tavern he dranked at in hope of meeting the Great Man. Unfortunate for me he was out of town. The Doctor will be greatly missed by all he hooked with such elegant style and originality. Sadly the Doctor is out.

I was at a lawyer function around 1990 when I ran into him. Camera was handy so I got a shot of us with his permission.

RIP :|
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com