AHoyThere

What do skydivers in Iowa do during the winter?

That doesn't look safe at all... I would be scared that the hunk I just wedged my foot long ice pick into would break off!:D:o

Looks like fun though - nothing works up the appetite for a :D like some strenuous ice climbing!B|

LMAO - a skydiver saying ice climbing doesn't look safe :D:D

Top roped ice climbing is almost as safe as top roped rock climbing (falling ice and swinging around ice tools near ropes makes it a little more dangerous). I used to lead trips where we took middle and high school students top rope ice climbing. We never had any major incidents aside from a few minor cases or hypothermia. You think a classroom full of middle school kids is scary? Try strapping cranpons to their feet and putting ice tools in their hands :D

Leading ice? Now that's a different story.... I have never been very comfortable leading on ice. There are a lot of variables within the ice itself and I really have a hard time trusting ice screws. I have several friends that have broken legs and ankles leading on ice. But I guess that isn't any different than skydiving? :D