skymama

First Ski Trip: Got any hints for me?

The kids and I are taking our first ski trip over Spring Break. None of us have ever done anything in the snow other than walk in it and throw snowballs. Any good hints you have about anything would be greatly appreciated. We know nothing!

One question I do have is should we learn to ski or snowboard first? The kids are leaning towards snowboarding because that is the current cool thing to do. I want to do the thing that is easier to pick up and has a lesser chance of injury!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Whichever you pick, take lessons. Yes, you can see little bitty kids who skitter all over the place. But either they take lessons, or they live where they can go down little bitty slopes all the time, so that the mountain is no big deal.

I only know how to ski, so I lean that way.

My neighbor told me that she learned by buying the sexiest ski suit ever for her second ski trip. A bunch of guys were hanging around her (duh), and asked if she could ski. She said she could make it down the mountain :P. So they went up with her, and she said that to their credit, when it became clear that, in fact, she could just make it down the mountain, they spent all day skiing with her again and again. I'm sure they had nothing else on their minds :ph34r:

So, I guess the next hint would be to invest in a really sexy ski suit :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'd say go with skiing, it's easier to start off day one with and I think you will enjoy it more.

And yes get a lesson or two no matter which one you do you will be much happier over the course of the vacation if you do.
Fly it like you stole it!

You'll make more progress with boarding. That first day can be a real pain but once you get the basics the progress is REALLY quick after that. I'd have to say boarders are A LITTLE LESS injury prone. It's not quite as easy to get those knee injuries as on skis. If you don't have any friends to teach you I would suggest a lesson or two.

Group lessons are a great way to spend a ski vacation.

Learning how to ski is surprisingly easy, if you have good, quality instruction.

Do NOT allow a friend to teach you skiing, unless they're actual instructors.

When I was teaching, I could literally have anybody skiing confidently and safely by noon of the first day. Group lessons are great for kids, but you'd progress faster on your own with a private lesson.

Having the kids in a group of their own skill level will mean that you won't be held back by their abilities - or vice-versa.

Enjoy the family time "off the hill".

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

So, I guess the next hint would be to invest in a really sexy ski suit

LOL...when they take a look at the two teenagers hanging around me, I don't think a sexy suit is going to help much! :ph34r:

We are definitely planning on taking lessons. Since it's the end of the season and we will be there during the week, they have a price of $38/day for a lesson, rental and lift ticket. Is that a good price?
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You are going to be using muscles you aren't used to using, so take your favourite muscle relaxant...whatever form that may be.;)

I found skiing easier to get to grips with than the board, but that's what I learned first. Either way you are going to fall over quite a lot, so leave the ego at home (if you actually have one!) and just enjoy learning a new game.:)
Formal lessons will help a lot.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Oooo... I am jealous. Where are you going?

I only ski (although I want to learn to snowboard)but from friends who have done both, they say that once you learn to snowboard, you don't want to go back to skiing. And while snowboarding is really tough at first, after you get the hang of it (1-2 days) there is a really quick learning curve. Skiing can be very challenging even after years of skiing. But its definitely fun too. Oh -- also when you bite it on skis it can be a bit more dangerous than snowboarding.

I would definitely start with lessons for the first few days -- it really helps to learn the basics and get the right technique down. You could all take group lessons together with a private instructor or the kids could go off to the kid school.

have a blast!

Having taught both, the learning curve for snowboarding is steeper (i.e. the first couple days are hard) but after that you can evolve faster technically.

Advice? Dress warmly in layers so you can take them off if you get warm and WEAR A HELMET!!!! Helmets are cool now and could save you from a concussion, specially when you're learning.

so leave the ego at home (if you actually have one!) and just enjoy learning a new game.

Haha...there's no hiding how much of a dork I am, so I just go with it! I'm sure between the 3 of us that there will be much giggling at our own expense! :ph34r:

So, I guess the next hint would be to invest in a really sexy ski suit

LOL...when they take a look at the two teenagers hanging around me, I don't think a sexy suit is going to help much! :ph34r:

We are definitely planning on taking lessons. Since it's the end of the season and we will be there during the week, they have a price of $38/day for a lesson, rental and lift ticket. Is that a good price?

thats a really good price! Lift tickets alone can cost $50 plus a day in Vail.

Also -- enjoy the apres-ski -- hot toddies in a hot tub :-)

If you are going to start out snowboarding, I would highly reccomend investing in wrist guards. I have known quite a few people who broke their wrists in their first few days snowboarding by trying to catch themselves with their hands when they fell. Aside from the wrist issue, I think that snowboarding is safer. You do not open yourself to the multitude of knee injuries on a snowboard that you are prone to on skis.

Although snowboarding generally hurts more the first day, the learning curve does seem to be steeper. I have seen many people who are fairly competant snowboarders by their second or third day. I can't say the same for skiing.

I think that snowboarding is safer. You do not open yourself to the multitude of knee injuries on a snowboard that you are prone to on skis.

One concern I have is my son hurting an ankle or knee that will blow his good chance he has of making the state soccer team this year. There really are less of those types of injuries on snowboards? Why would that be?

I've been snowboarding a few times. Italy, Switzerland, South France (most of the Alps lol) and dry ski slopes in the UK. Heres a few:

1. Wear more than one pair of sockets.

2. Always wear gloves. I've cut my hands on jagged ice from falling over before, not very nice.

3. Be prepared to have VERY bruised knees and backside.

4.Take some sun lotion for your face, sometimes you can get sunburnt from the reflection off the snow (panda eyes :D).

5. Pay for professional lessons from the first day. All ways helps in the prevention of injuries early on.

6. I can only vouch for Europe but be warned about some of the prices of ski passes.

7. Sometimes its better to borrow ski suits and goggles and stuff from friends, rather than hiring them, as it can get expensive.

8. Be prepared to ache in places you never realised you had :D.

9. Always make a note of where you are and how to get back if your decide to go off on your own anywhere. I would recommend sticking to the blue and green slopes for the first few days, before taking on the red runs.

10. VERY IMPORTANT. Have fun!!!

One concern I have is my son hurting an ankle or knee that will blow his good chance he has of making the state soccer team this year. There really are less of those types of injuries on snowboards? Why would that be?

On skis, your foot and leg can rotate with the ski independent of your body. On a snowboard when the board rotates, it takes your whole body with it. This is why it hurts more to fall but you are less prone to twisting injuries of the knee and ankle.

With a snowboard the feet can't go in opposite directions which CAN happen with skis (funny to watch until someone gets hurt!!!).... but like the previous person said, you increase the chance of other injuries......
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Lessons lessons lessons!!

I've only got experience skiing, and not much of that, but here's my $.015 -

Definitely lessons - and if you can get them as individual or as a family group (as in just you and the kids) so much the better!

Skiing vs snowboarding injuries - what I've seen of them are that skiiers seem to hurt legs more (bury a tip and mess up their knee, possibly) and boarders seem to hurt arms more (catching themselves when they fall down).

Lessons will do a lot to negate the injury factor either way - it's entirely possible to be off the bunny hill and on the easier slopes after your first lessons.

Either way, have fun!!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

There really are less of those types of injuries on snowboards? Why would that be?

It's not impossible but less likely. Being that your feet are connected to one large board instead of two planks that can turn independently it tends to be MUCH safer. You still go through a process of learning HOW to fall down without hurting yourself. As someone else mentioned.....Wrist guards are probably a good idea. I never wore them while boarding but you certainly do spend a lot of time with your hands on the snow.

If your boarding it only hurts to fall over if your REALLY PELTING it down and you fall head first. Other than that, falling over is just funny. If your going to fall, fall on your backside, you won't slide as far down the hill that way ;) lol.

Oh and one more thing, if your snowbording? Have a WONDERFUL time on the button lifts LOL. You'll see what I mean when you first get on one LOL.:D:D