Conundrum

Declawing cats

simple. by removing all the fingers from a hand, the hand becomes totally useless.

really? maybe for some of the lesser primates, but for most of the more advanced ones, we would still be able to pick up items (using both fingerless hands), clap, move things, etc.

my hands would not be rendered completely useless because my fingers were removed. but wait... i might not be able to wear a ring anymore.

arlo :ph34r:

I had my cat declawed for one reason.
My Jack Russel terrier LOVES to play with my cat and chases the cat incessantly. The cat likes to play too but not all the time and when she doesnt feel like it she would claw his face and head pretty badly at times. He was getting clawed up really badly. One time he almost lost his eye. He is too dumb and happy to stop.
He is like Odie in the Garfield comic strip.

I didnt want to do it but the choices were

1. Get rid of either the dog or the cat which usually means euthanizing because its terribly hard to find good homes

2. Allow my dog to cause severe injury or blindness to himself by playing with my cat when she doesnt feel like playing.

3. Have the cat declawed.

I opted for #3 as the best of a bunch of bad choices
__

My mighty steed

I should have clarified on my statment...if there is a medical reason...then I have no issues, but when someone says "but it just looks better" or " I dont want them knocking stuff off my coffee table" yea...that I have an issue with ;)

So you're saying those breast implants I got for my yellow lab are cruel? Whatever! You people are so quick to judge. How do you know she doesn't like those breast implants? She gets so much more attention now when we go for walks.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

terrible analogy.
the degree of handicapping received by removing one's fingers is not analogous to removing a cat's claws.

try again.

You sure about that? Cat's walk with their whole paws, including the part that's amputed in the procedure. You chop that part off and corresponding nerves the cat's not gonna be the same. http://maxshouse.com/Truth%20About%20Declawing.htm Cat's have claws for several reasons, declawing is just wrong IMHO.

I owned a cat- declawed. We didn't really have a choice (other than putting it up for adoption). We tried everything to get him to stop clawing our furniture. But nothing we put in the house (scratching posts, pads, etc...) interested him. He'd much rather tear into the $800 couch. So declawing it was.
Anyway, I own a Doberman now (guess that will start a whole new rash of abuse comments) His ears are cropped, his tail docked, and his dewclaws removed. Do I think it inhumane? No- not a at all.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

I'd never de-claw a cat.

What I did was train the cat on where he can scratch, and by looking at the shape of his scratching post he does know that it's ok to scratch there. 2nd I trained my dog where the cat wasn't allowed to scratch (the funiture). So cat scratches post, dog doesn't bat an eye, cat scratches couch and we are off to the races. As a bonus the dog learned that when she couldn't get to the cat herself if she came and got me she would still be a good dog for tattling.

I'm ok with pet tattling.:P
Fly it like you stole it!

Now that's funny!

I used to get upset when my cats would claw my chair, but it isn't really that big of a deal. We just had to start clipping their claws every once in a while, and the damage was minimized. Even moreso when we got covers for the chairs.

But training your dog to train your cat- that's genius. Post pictures :P.

Mike

In Reply To
-----------------------------------------------------------
some people don't have the time, resources, money, etc. to properly train a cat.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Your are damn right, if you don't have the time to train a cat, then your shouldn't have one.
A cat is not a toy. And I hope you don't have or ever will get any kind of animal... Your are obviously not fit to have one!

------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To

the point is that the procedure is not inhumane

Really!!! Then I suggest you get your ass over here and we will help you cut the top part of your fingers off.... We will even sedate you...And then you get back to us and see how not inhumane it is.
You will still be able to function. And you can still eat so you will be good to go...
Skydivers are a bunch of insensitive jerks...
And that's why I don't skydive anymore!

Anybody that declaws a cat should be chased down by an angry mob and have their lips sewn together with wire.

It's unnessary, inhumane and cruel. If a cat is given the correct environment, it won't damage anything. I've had my cat 11 years, and he's never so much as put a scratch om anything in my house. I provided him with his own piece of wood to work out on when he was little, and once he made it his own, he never scratched anything else.

Hear, hear, hear.

It takes a bit of patience to train cats, but we've got WICKER FURNITURE in our home that has never been touched. Toenail clippers take care of the claws when they get too long.

De-Fingering (which is what de-clawing should rightly be called) is brutal and unnecessary.

It's my understanding that it's unlawful in Britain, too.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

i had my cat's legs removed at the elbows. she is now easier to catch and she's so cute when she tries to run.

LOL! You should put scotch tape on her nubs and let her loose in the kitchen.
The sound will drive her batty!

--------------

Ever seen a declawed cat run? Try to climb up on a cat perch?

My cat is declawed. No, we didn't do it to her, the people we rescued her from did it. She doesn't have any problem running around though. She runs and chases toys so much that we really think she's a dog-wannabe! She doesn't have a perch to climb on but she is quite adept at getting to the top of my highboy dresser to stalk me when I'm in my bathroom. :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

[reply

So you're saying those breast implants I got for my yellow lab are cruel? Whatever! You people are so quick to judge. How do you know she doesn't like those breast implants? She gets so much more attention now when we go for walks.

You'd have been better off spending the cash getting them for yourself.

It's my understanding that it's unlawful in Britain, too.

Unecessary surgical mutilation of animals is banned in the whole EU as far as I'm aware. Rotts and sheepdogs have tails, cats have claws, and ears remain as supplied on the original models.

I think they all look better for it too.

[reply

You'd have been better off spending the cash getting them for yourself.

What would I do with 6 more boobs?

--------------

I had my cat declawed for one reason.
My Jack Russel terrier LOVES to play with my cat and chases the cat incessantly. The cat likes to play too but not all the time and when she doesnt feel like it she would claw his face and head pretty badly at times. He was getting clawed up really badly. One time he almost lost his eye. He is too dumb and happy to stop.
He is like Odie in the Garfield comic strip.

I didnt want to do it but the choices were

1. Get rid of either the dog or the cat which usually means euthanizing because its terribly hard to find good homes

2. Allow my dog to cause severe injury or blindness to himself by playing with my cat when she doesnt feel like playing.

3. Have the cat declawed.

I opted for #3 as the best of a bunch of bad choices

amen. but none of the closed minded people here will hear any of what you're saying..

be careful, i think i see an angry mom coming after you...you know, since anyone who declaws a cat should be chased down and beaten :|

let's not even get into stories of babies who have been badly clawed when fooling with a cat.

Both of my kitties are declawed. Of course when i got it done i thought it only involved clipping the nail off. I do admit i enjoy them having no claws. If i get another cat, im honestly not sure what i would do.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!