Conundrum

Declawing cats

Contrary to most people's understanding, declawing consists of amputating not just the claws, but the whole phalanx (up to the joint), including bones, ligaments, and tendons. To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. Thus declawing is not a “simple”, single surgery but 10 separate, painful amputations of the third phalanx up to the last joint of each toe. A graphic comparison in human terms would be the cutting off of a person's finger at the last joint of each finger.

I think it's sad that people do this to their cats merely to fit their lifestyle, aesthetics, or convenience without any benefit to the cat.

I am a cat lover and I have had a cat who lived inside. Ya his claws got on my nerves once in awhile. I just clipped them.

I have a new cat (almost had 2 pictures later) she will keep her claws.

Declawing is just wrong an inhumane. >:(

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

My cat of 14 years is declawed. But I didn't do it. Someone else did it to her before I adopted her. She seems fine (outside of knowing when she wants to eat, we have a communication barrier) and she still scratches with her front paws on all sorts of objects. But I don't think I would do this to another cat and thus voted against declawing cats. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

the cat's under anaesthetic while undergoing surgery, it's no like they tear the damn thing's paws off.

Cool...then we can put you under anaestetic and take half your fingers off ;)

If you take the time to train the animal where it can scratch, there are no problems. Owners get lazy.

Do you remove a dogs teeth when it chews? ;)

I am not a huge fan of de-clawing. I will follow this with I used to be an animal care worker for a humane society...so i have been around alot of crap.

There is no medical need to remove the animals toes, it is soley done out of lazyness.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

the cat's under anaesthetic while undergoing surgery, it's no like they tear the damn thing's paws off.

terrible analogy.
the degree of handicapping received by removing one's fingers is not analogous to removing a cat's claws.

try again.

terrible analogy.
the degree of handicapping received by removing one's fingers is not analogous to removing a cat's claws.

try again.

Care to elaborate on why it isn't?

terrible analogy.

try again.

You really dont think it handicaps the cat? Are you that insensitive?

Dude I don't think I like you much...

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Anybody that declaws a cat should be chased down by an angry mob and have their lips sewn together with wire.

It's unnessary, inhumane and cruel. If a cat is given the correct environment, it won't damage anything. I've had my cat 11 years, and he's never so much as put a scratch om anything in my house. I provided him with his own piece of wood to work out on when he was little, and once he made it his own, he never scratched anything else.

terrible analogy.

try again.

Wow where did you take anatomy????? um yes you are taking part of the fingers off... ;)

Ok how about this....why is it done???? VANITY!...there is no reason other then that...so first off, it is pointless...completely pointless...Not to mention selfish..

and no I DO NOT like cropped tails or ears on dogs.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

terrible analogy.

try again.

Care to elaborate on why it isn't?

simple. by removing all the fingers from a hand, the hand becomes totally useless. Removing claws from a cats paws does not render them totally useless. the cat can still run, jump, hold, etc. (with a lesser degree of effectiveness).

if you take my fuckin fingers off, i'm not holding shit.

so find a new analogy.

i said the degree of handicapping is not equivalent.

apparently reading comprehension owns you.

No I think I understood you 100% correctly. Chopping away the cats claws (fingers) isn't as bad as taking your fingers to the second knuckle.

IT IS just as handicapping to the cats. Ever seen a declawed cat run? Try to climb up on a cat perch? Or the worst is try to defend itself.

Go arrest some low life or harrass the public handing out parking tickets. You make me sick..

Go arrest some low life or harrass the public handing out parking tickets. You make me sick..

reading comprehension is way beyond you. when's the last time a DEA agent handed you a parking ticket?

i'm done arguing about this sissified nonsense. point is, it's not inhumane. inhumane is tearing it's claws off with no analgesic present. It may suck for the cat, and people may do it for the wrong reason, but it's DEFINITELY not inhumane.

stop going to extremes people, it's borderline sad.

so find a new analogy.

Didnt say the whole finger, just part of it...and yes you can still hold stuff.....

So no you try again....
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

This post is not directed to anyone in particular but rather to everyone that wants to find out more.

There are lots of articles on this issue and very few that support declawing cats.

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en&q=Declawing+cats
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

simple. by removing all the fingers from a hand, the hand becomes totally useless. Removing claws from a cats paws does not render them totally useless. the cat can still run, jump, hold, etc. (with a lesser degree of effectiveness).

so find a new analogy.

reading comprehension > you

A graphic comparison in human terms would be the cutting off of a person's finger at the last joint of each finger.

Where does it say anything about taking off the entire finger? If the last joint of all your fingers was removed, it would be the same as declawing a cat, so your argument is completely void.

:D:D:D

funny thing is i never stated whether i was for or against declawing, but i have a much more open mind than some of the folks posting on here.

some people don't have the time, resources, money, etc. to properly train a cat. ( i can already hear the extremists coming out of the woodworks..."THEN THE SHOULDN'T HAVE A CAT!!" ) blah blah blah.

the point is that the procedure is not inhumane.

:D:D:D

funny thing is i never stated whether i was for or against declawing, but i have a much more open mind than some of the folks posting on here.

some people don't have the time, resources, money, etc. to properly train a cat. ( i can already hear the extremists coming out of the woodworks..."THEN THE SHOULDN'T HAVE A CAT!!" ) blah blah blah.

the point is that the procedure is not inhumane.

Never said we didnt plan on putting you under when we took your fingers off from the knuckle ;)
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I've never heard of cropped ears being anything other than a vanity alteration, and in my environment, it can have a negative effect on the dog's health (excessive sand/dust build-up in the ear), however docking tails is sometimes a good thing. Some breeds (e.g. boxers) are prone to injuring their tails and docking removes that possibility.

My dog (a boxer) has natural ears, but her dewclaws are removed and her tail is docked.

As for the original post, I'm also against declawing cats.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

My wife and I have two indoor cats, neither are declawed. The only thing they ever scratch is our office chairs, but we bought some cheap car seat covers so they don't get ruined. Usually they use either their scratching post or the carpet on their cat condo (it stands about 5 feet tall and is covered in carpet and has a built in scratching post as well).

I don't see a need to declaw my cats, and I don't see why anyone would want to do that to their pets. It DOES hurt them, and it is not really worth it. If you can't train the cat and love it the way it is, give it to somebody who can.

Mike

I've never heard of cropped ears being anything other than a vanity alteration, and in my environment, it can have a negative effect on the dog's health (excessive sand/dust build-up in the ear), however docking tails is sometimes a good thing. Some breeds (e.g. boxers) are prone to injuring their tails and docking removes that possibility.

I should have clarified on my statment...if there is a medical reason...then I have no issues, but when someone says "but it just looks better" or " I dont want them knocking stuff off my coffee table" yea...that I have an issue with ;)
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto