windcatcher

Inventive/creative devices to bring along camping/backpacking???

a small rock hammer, a large rock hammer,

You take those on a backpacking trip? Gee....I try not to carry heavy stuff.

HAHAHAHAHA..you'd hate hiking with me then!
I usually bring back a pack full of rocks too!
:D:D:D

The most was in the southern Sierras...60 lbs of rocks from 11,000 ft...wth was I thinking?
Scars remind us that the past is real

100 feet of 6mm rope
some slings
a few biners

I don't think she's going on that kind of trip, Bill.

Seriously Bill is dead on. That suff comes in so handy, and in an emergency you will be glad you had it. I also like 3mm cord it's very useful for tieing up loads.
Fly it like you stole it!

>I don't think she's going on that kind of trip, Bill.

And how do you know that? You can do some very creative (and at times quite useful) things with rope.

I used to carry that kit (one large sling, biners and 100' accessory cord) when I was skiing so I could self-evacuate from a chairlift if I got stuck. I ended up using it one day to help get a new skier down an expert hill; tied the sling around her waist and skiied behind her until we got to less intimidating terrain.

I used to carry that kit (one large sling, biners and 100' accessory cord) when I was skiing so I could self-evacuate from a chairlift if I got stuck. I ended up using it one day to help get a new skier down an expert hill; tied the sling around her waist and skiied behind her until we got to less intimidating terrain.

Yeah, whatever...

And did you remember to untie the poor girl when you got to the less intimidating terrain?

:P

>I don't think she's going on that kind of trip, Bill.

And how do you know that? You can do some very creative (and at times quite useful) things with rope.

Oh my god, you and Derek....He wears a rescue belt when boarding along with the other stuff. "Just in case"

I use to throw my ski patrol stuff in my backpack when I was on the slopes. You know, just in case. Then I started thinking........WTF, I don't have to do that now. I travel very light while on the slopes now.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

- A book to read (a light one - paperback).
- Moleskin, from pharmacy, for covering blisters.
- superglue, for emergency skin cut repair: glue together.
- Mini-mag flashlight, for exploring caves.
- miniature multi-tool, for field repairs, pulling cactus needles out of your legs, etc.
- compass, and know how to use it. GPS too is good.
- topographical map
- emergency whistle, signal mirror, cyalume light stick
- snake bite kit
- gloves, for climbing on sharp rocks, pushing through brush.
- fire starter: special damp-proof matches
- bath kit: mini versions of: toothbrush, soap, floss
- MRE's (military food rations)
- spare dry socks
- water, a gallon per day
- wide brim hat, and mosquito netting
- sun lotion
- poncho
- camera!
- walking stick!

And most importantly: toilet paper! Keep it in a ziplock bag to keep it dry, and put a disposable lighter in there with it. When your business is finished, burn the paper, so that it won't be left to blow all over the place, or have animals scatter it around.

Ounces add up. Go as light as practical. Be willing to endure some discomforts in order to minimize your load.

Get a proper fitting backpack. Most of the weight should be carried on your hips, with the shoulder straps just to hold it against your back.

a penny whistle. Some of my friends and I got pretty good with penny whistles and spoons when we use to backpack a lot....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I could never forget TP when out on the trail. Trust me, I've learned from all the times going hunting in the middle of winter, or being in a mountain village in Mexico....never leave home without it if you are in an area like that

Remember to pack it out with you (yet another thing ziploc bags are good for). A small trowel for digging out/covering up the place you leave your poo is a good idea too.

A battery operated TV. Don't laugh, yeah go ahead and laugh. My husband and I did rough it camping for several years before we got our first RV, and the one thing that we always made sure we packed was the battery operated TV :)

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

battery operated TV is kinda lame. you go hiking to get away from that crap.

One cool thing to bring is candles. It's cool when you're hanging out at night (just don't burn down the woods)

Oh those glowsticks are cool.

I also bring a Petzel. it's a little flashlight with a head band on it, so it shines forward like a miner's helmet. So you can see at night & still have both hands free.

Another handy item to bring is a flask of whiskey.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Another handy item to bring is a flask of whiskey.

I was going to mention that, but I didn't want to sound like a lush. :)

So, windcatcher, where are you going?

I like camping and hiking, but I've never been on a real backpacking trip. I think I'd like it though... I'd love to hear about what you're doing (and how much fun you had when you get back!) :)

You guys are cracking me up.

You can carry enough gear for about threedays with a pack that holds 3,000 to 4,000 cubic inches.

For overnighters, you use a backpack with a capacity of 2,500 to 3,000.

Windcatcher is going to need a pack mule if she takes some of the things you guys are say:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

backpacking is one of the few times box wine is appropriate. And though it doesn't seem to apply to OK, even cheap wine seems to taste ok at high altitude for some reason. Might just be the exercise beforehand.

Box wine? Where the hell do you put it? (linz scratches her head....)? Penny whistle, otoh, takes up very little space and is fun to fiddle with....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

You guys are cracking me up.

You can carry enough gear for about threedays with a pack that holds 3,000 to 4,000 cubic inches.

For overnighters, you use a backpack with a capacity of 2,500 to 3,000.

Windcatcher is going to need a pack mule if she takes some of the things you guys are say:ph34r:

See this is why I have Derek, I make him pack all the extra crap so I have a nice light pack. :)

Windcatcher is going to need a pack mule if she takes some of the things you guys are say

It's SO easy to over pack. It SUCKED when I was in the military. Before I even started my pack weighed 60-75lbs or more just with radios and ammo. I had to VERY selectively pack after that. Break down MRE's and only take what I REALLY needed. A couple pairs of socks. Usually just the goretex liner to my sleeping bag. One change of clothes (So if my first pair gets wet I can change and dry out the other) A one burner stove. Chap stick, smokes, signal mirror, firestarters (Even strike anywhere matches in a pill bottle are good.) Really depends on how "hardcore" you want to be and just how far you plan on walking. I know a place or two in Montana where you can walk only a mile yet feel like you are absolutely in the middle of nowhere. Can't overstate the usefullness of a Gerber or similar multi tool!!!!!

Space blanket
Led/xenon combo headlamp
Lighter
Leatherman
Krill battery powered chem. Light gizmo
First aid kit
Compass/GPS/Map
Hat/Sunglasses
Sunscreen
Lip balm
Seal skin socks
Light weight rain coat/pants
Swami belt/rope #4 Rapide links/ATC
Princeton Tec Aqua Strobe (runs on 1 AA battery, very light)
Energy bars/Gel packs/H2O

Check out www.argear.com for some great, lightweight gear

Derek