fly-by69

Riggers who are Alcoholics

I know a few SOBER riggers that have made most of those mistakes (especially the molar strap thing......no need for a molar strap) completely straight and sober. And leaving packing weights in the canopy too. I know for a fact that these people were, and still are, clean and sober. Really GOOD, KNOWLEDGEABLE riggers are hard to find....drunk or sober.

"Really GOOD, KNOWLEDGEABLE riggers are hard to find....drunk or sober."

gonna call bullshit on that one.you aren't looking hard enough.

i am not asking what i should do.
i am asking what everyone chooses to do and why?
not a surprise to me that a sport riddled with junkies and drunks would defend "our own".

realize how stupid your arguements that its ok to be a drunken rigger are sounding?
anyone???

realize how stupid your arguements that its ok to be a drunken rigger are sounding?
anyone???

Actually all I am realizing is that you are sounding more and more like a holier than though, moral majority asshole every post. The premise in your op is that if someone is an alcoholic they will drink on the job and therefore should be excluded from virtually all jobs of consequence. The next step is to slowly redefine what an alcoholic is until prohibition is the only solution. The "war on drugs" nazis have already tobogganed down that slope. This is the same argument that has football players being suspended for smoking dope during the off season and skydivers testing for pot at the world championships.

drunk riggers, drunk doctors, drunk car mechanics, drunk musicians, drunk firewood delivery guys, drunk carpet installers and drunk skydivers.

I have dealt with them all, most I told to piss off. If you do not want to, then don't.

pretty simple really.

Drunk pole dancers??? ;)

>why is "drunken rigger" exceptable . . .

For the same reason that a drunken pilot, bartender, or anonymous poster on the Internet is acceptable. As long as they're not working while they are drunk, it's not a problem (unless you have some sort of alcohol phobia, that is.)

In my 15 years of skydiving I have found lot's of great riggers that know gear inside and out and they have the skills to back it up. I meet more and more riggers these days that are good at PACKING RESERVES. Ask them to do anything else (line-set, pack a racer, patch a parachute, even make closing loops)or about anything and they look at you crosseyed. There are also a lot of them that talk the talk and have very strong opinions about gear and what works and what doesn't and how things "should be", and most of what they are saying/believe is stuff they heard someone else say or read on dz.com without actually doing the research and LEARNING. There are lot's of good knowledgeable riggers out there. But there certainly are way more wannabee's. I would rather give my gear to a "functioning alcoholic" that has been rigging for 30 years then to one of these wannabe's that took a 2 week course and has to use 15 or 20 tools to do it. That's when shit get's left in pack jobs and stuff get's hooked up wrong.

GOOD, KNOWLEDGEABLE riggers aren't hard to find, you just have to sift through all the bullshit ones to find them

Let's talk about the pilots that don't adhere to the "8 hours bottle to throttle" rule. Or the tandem masters that are up ALL night and then go and do tandems all day.

Eat Me Raw

>OMFG, only HALF of those who would take it somewhere else would warn others.
>So much for watching out for each other.
>Crazy Fools.

I have a friend of mine who's an alcoholic. I don't know if she's gotten her rigger's ticket yet, but I would have no problem recommending other people to her. She hasn't been drinking for several years now. I'd actually prefer her to someone who occasionally has a few beers before doing a reserve.

not interested in getting folks in trouble.
you guys got nothing better to do...lets hear it
you know them... no not looking for names.

When it comes to your gear, you got no fukkin' friends. Take control of your gear and stay in control of your gear or be afraid, very afraid. Remember it's not the fall that will kill you, it's that sudden stop.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I hate to admit it, but I have plenty of friends who are riggers who drink, smoke pot, whatever. When I started rigging, I used to think, not such a good idea to mix the two!

Now, after knowing a couple riggers who drink and smoke pot... There are a couple of them and a couple packers too who I wouldn't trust to pack for me if they were sober. I know it doesn't sound right but it is true and they are damn good riggers/packers. (Yes, flame away >:().

Now, would I take my reserve to someone who has a history of f-ing up and has a problem? NOT. And there is one rigger I know of who was a total stoner and we later found a rig under his ticket that went through not one, but two repack cycles with a molar strap left attached.

This person was one of the reasons I chose to get my ticket, I am just not willing to take the chance of having my last chance of survival dependent on anyone else. Well, there is one other rigger I would entrust my gear to and he is the one who taught me. I would also most likely trust my DPRE. Other than that, no one except for myself.

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Three times I have flown reserves packed by a reformed alcoholic.

Hey!
I resemble that remark!
Back in 1984, my Rigger Instructor (Canadian title) said: "If I hear about any of you drinking beer and packing reserves, I will pull your ticket."

Stress and burn-out are endemic in the skydiving industry. Tight deadlines are one of many stressers.

For many years I struggled with drinking in the evenings, then dragging my ass out of bed the next morning. I eventually realized that I am not strong enough to do both. I just celebrated thirteen years of sobriety. Life got much easier without booze.

In conclusion, I do not care if a rigger is an alcoholic, as long as they report for work sober and well rested.
As for drinking or drugging on the job .... any job ... is just WRONG.

It is fairly obvious that you have a personal ax to grind with one or more riggers you know. If you know for a fact that a rigger is practicing performing in an unsafe manner do something about it. Whining on the net is not doing something about it.

Contact the FAA: http://www.faa.gov/safety/safety_hotline/

If you are unwilling to act on your accusations you are part of the problem and should STFU.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals