ChrisL

Colored Tattoo's hurt more?

I dont think so

I have many, the most recent being the largest and most colorful of the lot covering my entire right upper arm from elbow to over my shoulder and all the way around the arm.

I have heard several people over the years comment that they think/know/have heard that tattoo's with a lot of color are much more painful to get than ones without the color.

This sounds pretty silly to me, and my own experience tells me so.

What do you think?

About the only this myth could make sense is if it refers to tattoo's that are colored in as opposed to being line drawings.
In that case of course it hurts more, your getting a lot more holed poked in your skin B|
__

My mighty steed

If ya fill it in with black or color the needles feel the same....;)

Ditto. The shading didn't hurt on mine. Now, the outlining....ugh. Worth every second though.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

About the only this myth could make sense is if it refers to tattoo's that are colored in as opposed to being line drawings.

That's what I was thinking. The "filling in" part of getting a tattoo was what hurt the most for me, but that had nothing to do with what color it was. And it's a good thing that that was the last part of it; just when I was starting to think I couldn't stand the pain anymore, it was done.

anyone ever think black is still actually a colour!?! a very dull one but in all fairness it is still a colour:P
those who do it cant explain it! those who dont, cant understand it!.. if riding in a plane is flying then ridding in a boat is swimming!? experince the eliment get out!!

red hurts the worst, then you have green, and blue, then purple is also a real pain....

right, right....:D

it all depends upon a few main factors

needles used
artist applying ink
length of time

and does the fucker keep recoloring a part that just won't take...:D

I had heard the same thing before getting my one small tattoo. The artist that did mine said that is just a myth. Mine is a few different shades of purple and white and I didn't think it was too bad. Of course I don't have anything to compare it with.

I have to agree with the others, I think as more to do with other things than what color.

Danielle

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I have the Traditional= Rampant Lion / flag of Scotland on my shoulder and the color=yellow had to be done 3 times to complete...maybe that's the reference made?

anyone ever think black is still actually a colour!?! a very dull one but in all fairness it is still a colour:P

Not really. White is light and black is the absence of light. It's too complicated for me to try to explain, but black really isn't a "color".

Not really. White is light and black is the absence of light. It's too complicated for me to try to explain, but black really isn't a "color".

True. Black is the abscence of all color and light. Black is no color at all B|
__

My mighty steed

in pigment (ie paint) black is a color and white is a color..

there are TWO color theories, one for light one for pigment..the same rules do not apply to both because of the materials used to create pigment

I've got 3 tattoos, two of them full color. I've been told by the artists that with color, they have to put the ink in deeper for it to look good. That may have something to do with people thinking it hurts more.

For me, I never noticed much of a difference, although my only all black tattoo is on the inside of my left arm, which can be pretty sensitive in spots. None of them really hurt that bad, however.

Mike

What I was told by a tattooist:

The closer to a bone, the more it hurts (in general, some people it tickles.)

The faster the tattooist does the outline lines, the more it hurts. (I've seen a guy actually cut by a tattooist in a hurry)

Light colored fills tend to hurt worse than dark colored fills due to having to go over it several times (usually) to get a good shading.

My two tattoos weren't bad - felt about like a sunburn.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706