Brian425

Things newbies need to know about tracking.

When wearing your new jumpsuit with booties, make sure you slow down your track enough before pulling. If you don't, you will get a great view of your new booties and purple, black, and now a little yellow bruises.

Wow, you track a lot faster with booties. LOL. Well, lesson learned.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

The thought never occured to me to even pull during a track. My instructor told me to always arch after the track, before pull.

(Of course, if I ever lost altitude awareness low and noticed my altimeter was low (i.e. 2000ft) I'll just whip something out immediately anyway depending on above/below harddeck altitude...as trained by my instructor. Haven't pulled low before though and hope I never end up having to pull lower than expected.)

-get a better opening canopy
-if you can not assume having bruises in an activity where bruises are definitely not the worse thing that can happen to you, then maybe playing chess is more adapted:P
-once you get to fly wingsuits, every once in a while you will pull at full speed (even it is not the recommended deployment attitude) ... It's not very different. The opening is just more "horizontal"
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

When wearing your new jumpsuit with booties, make sure you slow down your track enough before pulling. If you don't, you will get a great view of your new booties and purple, black, and now a little yellow bruises.

*points* ha ha

I've found that stopping long enough to give a nice wave off usually does the trick.

That is usually my slow down time. This time it was not even close to slowing me down. Maybe I had brain fade and still had my legs extended. I still feel it. B|

Oh well. Live and learn

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Pop quiz - What's the "total velocity" for someone tracking halfway decently (square root of [vertical speed^2 + horizontal speed^2])?

Blues,
Dave

I know I know I know I know

(about 110 mph, + or - depending on the skill level)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The thought never occured to me to even pull during a track. My instructor told me to always arch after the track, before pull.

The first time you break off from a group skydive and find that your personal space is filled by others on both sides and you need to track like hell to the very last minute to out run them because you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, then see if you remember to stop your track... Not that it happened to me or anything.:P:o[:/] I think I was even putting on the "brakes" when I threw, but wow, that was fun.:S

Damn...

If I can get down to 95mph in a track, the rest of you skinny bastiges should be hitting 80's.:D
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Damn...

If I can get down to 95mph in a track, the rest of you skinny bastiges should be hitting 80's.:D

Who the fuck are you calling a "skinny bastige"??! I'm somewhere in between a heavy weight and a puffed up middle weight, and I can pull a 92 average in a regular bootie suit... as long as we're only measuring vertical speed. :PB|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Who the fuck are you calling a "skinny bastige"??! I'm somewhere in between a heavy weight and a puffed up middle weight, and I can pull a 92 average in a regular bootie suit... as long as we're only measuring vertical speed. :PB|

I'm calling anyone smaller than me a skinny bastige, you skinny bastige.;) And I hit 95 in this purple FF suit.:P

I'm calling anyone smaller than me a skinny bastige, you skinny bastige.;) And I hit 95 in this purple FF suit.:P

OK, you win. :P On a more serious note, check the distance between the back of your leg straps and the bottom of your rig and think about the possibilities of an inadvertent deployment while sitflying. B|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

OK, you win. :P On a more serious note, check the distance between the back of your leg straps and the bottom of your rig and think about the possibilities of an inadvertent deployment while sitflying. B|

Yeah, nothing I can do about that unless I have a longer rig. The legstraps are as far up as they're going to go unless I embed them in my pelvic bone.

This is why I always check my BOC pouch and always make sure my closing loop is tight enough to break a sweat trying to close it.:)
Thanks for the heads up though, Dave.

Damn...

My vertical speed gets down around 80mph in a tight RW bootie suit (best I ever recorded on my protrack was 79 average during a tracking dive). I figure that gives me a vector sum (horizontal + vertical ) about 100 - 110mph. I know several people that have a slower descent rate than I do.

I think Dave's point is that if you blame opening in a track for a hard opening, you probably aren't tracking very efficiently.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.