Brian425

Things newbies need to know about tracking.

My vertical speed gets down around 80mph in a tight RW bootie suit (best I ever recorded on my protrack was 79 average during a tracking dive). I figure that gives me a vector sum (horizontal + vertical ) about 100 - 110mph. I know several people that have a slower descent rate than I do.

I think Dave's point is that if you blame opening in a track for a hard opening, you probably aren't tracking very efficiently.

I agree. I use my track to slow down on head down jumps. A poor track is more of a head down dive than flying across the sky. Anyone who has coached newer jumpers knows exactly what that looks like. The higher speed will cause slightly harder openings. I think the other factor being overlooked here is that the canopy is going past your feet instead of straight off your back. That whips you around not 90 degrees on opening, but 130 degrees or more. I think that's what's really making the vertebrae snap, crackle, and pop. That's why I put my feet up as I pull and sit up as I get line stretch, no matter what my speed.

My $.02:)

I agreet that the issue is that I am pitched down (traveling slightly head down) when I track in the new suit. It is something I will need to work on. It is somthing that I am causing by the way I fly my body. I just need to get a little help to correct it and I will be back to my happy self.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.