justaflygirl

Can someone explain this?

It was a stunt performed for an MTV show- the parachute was soaked in gasoline (or some other flammable substance)- he jumped, shot a flare into the main- when it burned through, he deployed his reserve. I believe there was a thread about this awhile back including a link to the video.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Troy Hartman did it (he's a DZ.commer, drop him a PM) for a MTV show called "Senseless Acts of Video." It was done on a tert rig and he set it off with a flare gun. All in all it was fucking amazing video to watch!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yup, it was done on purpose alright. There were strips of cotton sewn inside the cells to absorbe as much of the flamable liquid as possible. It was kept in a bucket of kerosene on the ride to altitude and then hand-deployed. He used a safety flare to ignite it I think.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Oh sure you can go to that site - but all you will get is better video quality and a site dedicated to skydiving movies. You will miss out on the T & A found at the other place :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

someone recently performed the same stunt in Eloy i think in December. not sure who it was or if the video is online, but they had the burnt canopy with some pics displayed if i recall correctly. anyone have anymore info on this particular stunt?

edited for typo

I remember them talking about it and saying that it tokk a bunch of attemts to get the thing to actually catch fire!
The remains were on display at the holiday boogie

Betsy will probably know.....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

This pic really flips me out, I cant imagine someone doing this on purpose....:S

For some people, it's not done on purpose, and it kills them.

Military pilots that eject at low altitude from a crippled airplane sometimes drift with their parachute into the fireball rising up from their crashed airplane...

Nylon melts at 475 degrees.

No one has yet invented a fire-proof parachute.

Why the hell not... that's why

In the case of the CURTIS jump.(in Eloy).. Take a world champion freeflyer nutcase, a bucket full of kerosene, soak an old canopy... jump out of an turbine aircraft..
Attempt to ignite with various solutions, including flairs bouncing all over the place, give up, try something else, eventually load some cells with bags and rags full of fuel, an electrically activated ignitors system, soak, jump, press, ignite, Boom.. et voila.

Make sure you have some of the best cinematographers to record the barbecue.

Why the hell not... that's why

In the case of the CURTIS jump.(in Eloy).. Take a world champion freeflyer nutcase, Joe Jennings with a new super cool camera toy, a crazy Bryan Burke plan, a bucket full of kerosene, soak an old canopy... jump out of an turbine aircraft..
Attempt to ignite with various solutions, including flairs bouncing all over the place, give up, try something else, eventually load some cells with bags and rags full of fuel, an electrically activated ignitors system, soak, jump, press, ignite, Boom.. et voila.

Make sure you have some of the best cinematographers to record the barbecue.

I added a few details for you:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

There was a military project that developed a Kevlar canopy for just that reason. I don't know whatever became of it. IIRC, the kevlar fabric was lighter than regular nylon.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Didn't we have a scene in that Charlie Sheen skydiving movie where he flew his parachute through a fireball just beyond a cliff, catching it on fire, then went to his reserve?

Damned if I can remember the name of the movie... He also rode a convertible off the C-123...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Didn't we have a scene in that Charlie Sheen skydiving movie where he flew his parachute through a fireball just beyond a cliff, catching it on fire, then went to his reserve?

Damned if I can remember the name of the movie... He also rode a convertible off the C-123...

Sounds like "Terminal Velocity".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

There was a military project that developed a Kevlar canopy for just that reason. I don't know whatever became of it. IIRC, the kevlar fabric was lighter than regular nylon.

Yes, Kevlar has been tried - it just chars, rather than vaporizes, when hit with fire.

But it creates other insurmountable problems. For one, it doesn't have the modulus (elasticity) of nylon, so more force is transmitted to the stitching and lines, and to the hapless pilot. So then you have to come up with special stitching to attach fabrics and lines to each other in ways that take into account different stretch rates. Kevlar wears out sewing needles really quick, since it's so tough (used for bullet proof vests too). And with the different failure patterns caused by kevlar, the whole dynamics of an ejection change, such as the top speed which can be survived, and so on.

It solves one problem, but opens up many other cans of worms.

The number of incidents of pilots being killed by parachutes vaporizing in fireballs is low enough, that it might cause more fatalities by trying to change the tried and proven current ejection chutes.

That's a real shame for the lonely fighter jock who just punched out at 1,000', and is heading right for a huge fireball in a very unmaneuverable chute...

But it creates other insurmountable problems. For one, it doesn't have the modulus (elasticity) of nylon, so more force is transmitted to the stitching and lines, and to the hapless pilot.

Hey! That's just the ticket to complement that non-stretch Spectra/Vectran/HMA crap that is so popular these days!

That's a real shame for the lonely fighter jock who just punched out at 1,000', and is heading right for a huge fireball in a very unmaneuverable chute...

Ever heard Manley Butler's tirade about all the years he put into developing a ram-air ejection canopy, only to have it shelved because no one in command had the guts to make the decision to deploy it?

It was kinda mentioned above but they couldn't get the canopy to ignite with a flare so they actually lined the inside of the cells with flash squibs and fired them off when they shot the flare gun into the canopy. This effect made it look like the whole canopy burst into flames.

Ever heard Manley Butler's tirade about all the years he put into developing a ram-air ejection canopy, only to have it shelved because no one in command had the guts to make the decision to deploy it?

No, but I can imagine it. I did tons of research on this kind of stuff about 12 years ago. I've got several bookshelves full of copies of government studies. They've always got money to study something new, but hardly ever actually implement anything.

200 lb. pilots with all their gear and seat pan, are still stuck with a 22' diameter round canopy in their ejection seat...