kelel01

Who says we're on top?

Wow I guess I was asleep that day in school. I actually crossed the equator where it intersects with the Intl. date line. It gave me a golden shellback status when I was in the military.

I kinda want a map like this.

so, effects would a map like that have? Would the compass point south? Or, would we change all compasses to still point north, which was south, but is now north?

What would this do to nomenclature? Would North America and South American continents be renamed? Would would the Upper Peninsula of Michigan become the Lower Peninsula? Yeah, you folks on the larger peninsula would still be "trolls!"

Gad. Such decisions...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

But, that's Speaker's Corner material.

No, in Speaker's Corner, the entire universe rotates about whoever is posting and everyone else is dead wrong - even if they agree with you and only use different words. That's why skydiving is a lot of work - you have to move the entire earth away from you from 3000 to 30000 ft and then it has to come rushing back to you - it takes a lot of energy. But it makes the definition of 'up' easy.

Example - Strike any pose, standing, reclined, or on your head. Whatever is directly beyond the line that starts at your chin and goes out through your forehead - that's up.

Edit: The only problem is, you can't look up. If you look up, then 'up' becomes the same as 'behind you'. It's very complicated.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No, in Speaker's Corner, the entire universe rotates about whoever is posting and everyone else is dead wrong

Speak for yourself... I am the Center of my universe!!! I can make you the Center of my universe but it requires complex mathematics and I was never very good at math... B|

btw: my statement is a relativity concept regarding reference frames... I'm not being cocky or anything.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You people is crazy. I like Dave's answer. I don't agree with it, but I like it. :D

I want one of those upside down maps. Or actually, I'd rather have an upside down globe! That way, if I have a guest and I'm peeing or brushing my teeth, I can give them a task to complete while I'm unable to entertain them: ponder the earth's and universe's very existence and the many assumptions we make as the ignorant, narrow-minded people that we are. :D

It's very simple... suprised nobody mentioned this word yet.... ROTATION.

The way the earth rotates on it's axis (north and south poles) and it's relation to the way it revolves around the sun naturally puts it so north is on top and south on the bottom.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Scientist friends, I need your help. Why do we have this perception that the Northern Hemisphere is actually the top half of the world? I mean, the world's (somewhat) spherical (or at least a mostly symmetrical elliptical-shaped object), and space has no top or bottom. I think based on our orientation to the sun, it's at least apparent that the east or west hemispheres can't be "on top", but why do we assume the northern hemisphere is?

I'm really wondering, but smart ass comments are (of course) welcomed for entertainment purposes. :D

West Wing re-runs..huh Kelel?

"Cause your Freakin' me out!";)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It's very simple... suprised nobody mentioned this word yet.... ROTATION.

The way the earth rotates on it's axis (north and south poles) and it's relation to the way it revolves around the sun naturally puts it so north is on top and south on the bottom.

that still has an underlying assumption of how we define the rotation... it does show a top and bottom... but says nothing about why the north is on the top.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I kinda want a map like this.

What would this do to nomenclature? Would North America and South American continents be renamed? Would would the Upper Peninsula of Michigan become the Lower Peninsula? Yeah, you folks on the larger peninsula would still be "trolls!"

I think the real problem here is that we hang maps on walls instead of putting them on the floor where they may more accurately align themselves with reality.

Besides, with a floor map, it affords you the opportunity to shout, "Take that Wisconsin!" when you discover your pet has defecated on the dairy state.

Yeah . . . I love that show! It's such an idealistic portrayal of government. :D

Best lines....

"Size MEANS strength & power..."

&

"So where IS France??"

&

"...THAT'S where you've been LIVING all your life..."

;)B|:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>Why do we have this perception that the Northern Hemisphere is actually the top half of the world?

Because most of the people are on the north half of the globe. Which makes sense, since people fall off the globe so easily when they're on the bottom of it.

Oh... I thought you meant "top of the food chain" or "in charge of the world". That sort of thing.

A while back it was explained to me this way. I get up, go to work, worry, etc. My dog stays home on permanent vacation, plays in the yard with friends, takes a nap in the sun, and f--s the bejesus out of the locals.

For the above reasons, I always thought I was in charge. So did my dog. After some thought, I realized that he is right.

I guess he just explains it really well. :ph34r: