padu

Velocity and Psycho pack

I just upgraded from a stiletto 120 to a velocity 111. Haven't mounted the velo yet.

The thing is that for the last 1000 jumps, I've been psycho packing the stiletto (my first "high performance" canopy was a batwing 134) and I've never had problems doing it.

The question is: anybody out there psycho packing their velos?

Cheers
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

hey dude, I wasn't the one who named it. I just want to know if anybody has already used it in a velo and what's the verdict.

Just please don't hijack my thread. If you want to discuss what is psycho pack or if it's good or not, please refer to the appropriate thread.
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

i know you didn`t name it...i just thought it`s a lame word for a packing technique.

For those who are uncomfortable with the name "Psycho Pack", it also goes by the "Happy Smurf Pack". ;)

(And for the record, I'm not trying to hijack the thread either. Just offering a point of information.)

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

I know a master rigger who pretty much swears by the pyscho pack for most every canopy including his two Velocities. I also have read that PD does not agree with "Pyscho bagging" as they call it their canopies. I guess at the end of the day it is up to you to figure out the best way to bag your canopy, either the PRO pack as suggested by the manufacturer or try the Pyscho pack developed by George Galloway.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

hey dude, I wasn't the one who named it.

hey dude, I was the one who named it. We were developing a better way to get a new ZP canopy into the deployment bag. After pulling the pilot chute out to one side and rolling up the canopy like a sleeping bag, somebody asked if we were going home for the day. I answered "No, we are on the next load!!" The guy said "Man, if you jump that pack job, you are Psycho!" The name stuck. That was 15 years ago and the PsychoPack is still enjoyed by many people, including POTUS. [Three Master Riggers including myself, were involved in packing President Bush's parachute for an AFF jump in Yuma back in the day. Yes, he was definitely PsychoPacked]

Read about the PsychoPack in the December 1995 issue of Parachutist Magazine.

Chris Martin later suggested we rename it the "Precision Pack", but I don't know about the Smurf thing.

So as not to hijack the thread, Yes, the PsychoPack has very definitely been used on many a Velo. No prob.

The beautiful openings were just a pleasant surprise at the time, but now it's what the pack job is best known for.

George Galloway

Would you please recommend th best site to see a demo of this packing method?

I know that this has been covered loads of times on here, but it's not every day you get to ask the inventor.B|

Cheers,

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Very cool!

I guess I was the second guy to own a Batwing in Brazil, back in 1996. At that time I was struggling with bagging the new z-po canopy and I my rigger recommended the psycho pack. And then that's how I pack ever since.

Now... I'll have to print this thread and scrapbook it to my logbook - it's not everyday you're called a "dude" by George Galloway B|

Thanks everybody for the reply's. I guess I can psycho-pack my velocity with confidence now.... feel free to hijack the thread as you wish now.

Would you please recommend th best site to see a demo of this packing method?

I know that this has been covered loads of times on here, but it's not every day you get to ask the inventor.B|

Cheers,

Heres a good step by step instruction on how its done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYb6R8CNqDQ

and part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qICN19uaRE

havent i seen a video from the PD-guys, explaining how they wish all their canopies to be packed!? i think it was even showed on an original sabre!?

I've seen a pro-pack video floating around with Scott Miller...is that the one you mean?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

havent i seen a video from the PD-guys, explaining how they wish all their canopies to be packed!? i think it was even showed on an original sabre!?

I've seen a pro-pack video floating around with Scott Miller...is that the one you mean?

it was pro-pack for sure, but no clue to whoever scott miller is, besides a name you probably should know. so cant confirm on the later. it is on youtube, but as i'm at work and cant access that site, i cant confirm. search for pd packing and maybe even sabre and it should turn up. i'll get on it tonight if i dont forget about it..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda