ltdiver

New Record! Mach 9.6!!

Besure to call cut before climbing out, though...that jump run could be a bitch.

Start yelling at the 4-way team in the door since they took 15 seconds after green light to setup and leave, now you're landing in fucking idaho.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Am I the only one that believes it went significantly faster then its published top speed?

Well...................before they "retired" it the first time they did a "Speed Record" run across the US. I doubt they had any reason to hold back. Besides.......maned platforms like that are a thing of the past. Sat and UAV's are the way of the future for military purposes. I have watched Predators fly over Baghdad on many days. Those are perfect for shorter range stuff and can even be armed. B| For long range (Global!) They have the Global Hawk. Why go through all the problems associated with carrying people.

I still think they did hold back, since it wasn't fully retired.

Not only that, but you know there's something else out there that is probably traveling well faster the the SR-71 did that we don't know about but people in trailer parks swear they've seen.

Not only that, but you know there's something else out there that is probably traveling well faster the the SR-71 did that we don't know about but people in trailer parks swear they've seen.

I'm sure there is some newer stuff out there but we are tending to get away from the manned platforms. I'd tell you all about my trip to Area 51 but they made me sign a confidentiality agreement. ;) To be honest.........there's really not that much to see out there.

To be honest.........there's really not that much to see out there.

Sure, above ground that is if you believe all that is said and written about that place.

*shrug*

Who knows, I'm sure some folks do, but most don't.B|

Besure to call cut before climbing out, though...that jump run could be a bitch.

Start yelling at the 4-way team in the door since they took 15 seconds after green light to setup and leave, now you're landing in fucking idaho.

ROFL! :D

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

After 10 seconds of scramjet-powered flight, the X-43A became a glider and made a controlled glide to a splashdown in the ocean about 800 miles offshore. It will not be recovered.

I'm not a huge tree-hugger or anything, but it sort of bothers me that they just dump the plane in the ocean.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Am I the only one that believes it went significantly faster then its published top speed?

No, you are not the only one...

I got the privelage to see one come in one night while stationed in Alaska. Came in with almost black out conditions, was very cool to see! I got to meet one of the pilots, and I asked him how fast it can honestly go. He said "#1: I don't know. & #2: No one "really" knows" I said well whats the highest speed that you know of it achieving. He replied with "Can't tell ya that either..."

If there were even a possibilty of finding a way to jump it; it would be one of the most expensive jumps ever. I mean think about it, they can only partially fuel it on the ground. They need a KC-135 in the air with the special jet fuel ready and waiting after the SR71 takes off. The plane holds over 12,200 gallons of fuel and burns roughly 8,000 per hour. That is one expensive horly rate (over $30,000)!

But, the 10,000 foot per minute climb rate would ROCK !!! 14,000 ft in 1 minute 24 seconds... SWEEEEEEEEEET !!!

Goudha is for Buddha, and that's good enough for me!

You know the article referenced the SR-71 and its published top speed. Am I the only one that believes it went significantly faster then its published top speed?

Any plane that weeps fuel because they can't seal the tanks or it would explode at speed, is going way faster then they claim it does...

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

What bothers me about the x-34 program is that after all that research, they do one final flight and then shut the program down. That was it, no more, fini!

this is the X-43A... but reusing it would be a problem considering: this taken from the article

"After 10 seconds of scramjet-powered flight, the X-43A became a glider and made a controlled glide to a splashdown in the ocean about 800 miles offshore. It will not be recovered."

:P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

What bothers me about the x-34 program is that after all that research, they do one final flight and then shut the program down. That was it, no more, fini!

this is the X-43A... but reusing it would be a problem considering: this taken from the article

"After 10 seconds of scramjet-powered flight, the X-43A became a glider and made a controlled glide to a splashdown in the ocean about 800 miles offshore. It will not be recovered."

:P

I meant the x-34 program, not the specific plane. That was it's grand finale, with no follow up intended. No further research of the technology on the plate to make it perhaps, useful.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I doubt it will ever be used to carry humans over land. They couldn't even get permission to fly a Concorde, with a much lower sonic footprint, over the continental US.

But what is exciting is that it can be used for spacecraft. 7000mph is almost halfway to orbital speed. If you could get to 9000mph with an airbreathing engine, you cut the amount of fuel you have to carry to get into orbit by more than half. That means no more massive external tanks or disposable engine/tank stages. You could do a true small SSTO (single stage to orbit) vehicle.

I doubt it will ever be used to carry humans over land. They couldn't even get permission to fly a Concorde, with a much lower sonic footprint, over the continental US.

But what is exciting is that it can be used for spacecraft. 7000mph is almost halfway to orbital speed. If you could get to 9000mph with an airbreathing engine, you cut the amount of fuel you have to carry to get into orbit by more than half. That means no more massive external tanks or disposable engine/tank stages. You could do a true small SSTO (single stage to orbit) vehicle.

Yeah, that would be very cool.... if they'd follow up on it.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?