ntrprnr

The parents found out...

If its the only recognition I get from my folks, sure...

throw brother under the bus! :D

Plus, when we were little, he was a little punk who used to trip me in the school halls - this is me getting even :P

I was such a geek in school even my parents made fun of me - now that I'm cool, well... I'm enjoying it ;)

Jen
Arianna Frances

my mum thinks its great...my dad tries to forget i do it...the problem mainly started when i rang my dad with absolutely no cash to pay rent (im at uni)...he told me that if i can afford to jump out of a fucking plane i can afford to pay my way at uni...baked beans are nice, but when you eat them 364 days of the year, they start to give you gas :P
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

I lived off of a case of free soy nuts for a month once. They are really dry but if you chew them up and then fill your mouth with water to moisten them and swallow they can fill you up. I was so broke I could not even afford ramen noodles.:D

My parents were cool about my skydiving.

Last month they came back from a road trip through Europe to Italy and said they'd seen BASE jumpers near some big cliffs in the North of Italy. They said they'd found me a very nice chalet I could stay in if I wanted to go jump the cliffs with them. They thought it was a cool idea.

I explained why I was shocked my mother was trying to push me into BASE.

This post cracks me up. I had nearly 100 jumps before I told my dad I jump. why? Because my dad is one of those old school pilots who always believed it was only idiots that jump out of perfectly good airplanes.

Well, I told him. Then he gets all cool on me and tells me about when he was learning how to fly he and his buddies thought they should know how to jump out of the plane if something went wrong so they went and took a first jump course and did a static line jump (mind you, my dad learned how to fly in the 50's so the course was 15 minutes and the jump was on a round). Then he proceeds to tell me about his friend who was a demo jumper and some other buddies of his that jumped - a couple of them still jumping today. . .old timers we would call them. . .

So it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be and now he brags to people that his daughter jumps out of perfectly good airplanes. . .lol
FGF #6
Darcy

"They've been to the moon. They don't need an African to tell them how to jump out of aircraft!"

There are may posts after this one that I have not read yet, but I am VERY upset by this comment... It made me laugh VERY hard before I was ready this morning and I think I pulled a muscle!!!!

Moms will worry till the day they die. like someone said before, it's their job.
my mom didn't really freak out, she was a bit concerned though. I told her all about it from what I've learned - gear, AAD's, jumps, safety, ...etc - yeah there is a risk, but there is a risk in everything you do.
I was a little late on getting an AAD (90 jumps) and that worried her. She kept on asking me if I had gotten "one of those altimeter thingies yet" which she meant an AAD. i laughed and told her the differenct between an alti. and an AAD and explaining what the device was (for the 85th time) :)Since I live about 4 hours away from my parents I make sure to call them at the end of the day on satrurday and sunday or any day I jump just to let them know I'm OK. Plus she likes to hear about all my jumps and what I did on them.
There was recently an accident at my DZ and I told my mom about it. She got a little upset and I told her that I'll be the safest I can and that anything can happen. But she understands this is what I like to do and she accepts that.
I think I might get her to do a tandem before the summer is over. She's always wanted to do one so I just have see if she'll actually go through with it. I would be so happy for her if she did.
anyways, Gotta LOVE the Moms:)

Education...

My parents opened up after they watched 24 training 4-way jumps from a camp weekend... They said, "wait, everytime I see you standing in the doorway that is a NEW jump?"

My mom is doing her tandem for her 60th birthday tomorrow... She really wants to do it, so bad that she told EVERYONE but me so it would be a "surprise"... Of course EVERYONE was morally obligated to tell me, so off we go to the DZ.:P

To answer your question my family was not happy when I started skydiving. They thought I was crazy. Then I quit my good salary job and started skydiving full time. That made them mad. What made it even worse is that they cosigned my car and I could no longer afford to pay it so they pretty much cut me off. Now I am back in the real world and I have almost payed them the money back. Our relationship is not the same as it was before I went to skydive full time, though.[:/]

I started skydiving 29 years ago and my parents only recently stopped worrying about me.

The solution? My son got hooked and is jumping now!

So I suggest Transference as the solution.

Once he started jumping they stopped worrying about me and now worry about their grandson!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Am I understanding this correctly?

You've got the stones to run your own company in NYC but are afraid of your own parents? :D

I wish I had that kind of relationship with my parents; id est, that I cared about them or their feelings at all.

So don't fret, dude. Consider yourself blessed that you have such a close relationship with your parents that such issues come up. Must be nice.

In answer to your query, most whuffos know only what they've seen in the media. You could try educating them. If the IMAX in NYC is showing "Adrenaline Rush - the Science of Risk", take them to see it.

Welcome to the Blue Skies, BTW.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I was on vacation when I decided to do a tandem on a whim. After reserving my slot I was so excited I had to call my dad and tell him what I was going to do. My dad is the easygoing one, my mom worries. I call dad and tell him I'm going to do a tandem the next day, but not to tell mom because she will freak out. Unbeknownst to me, my dad was a nervous wreck all night and all the following day. He couldn't get any work done. After the jump, I call my mom and said "Guess what I just did." Her response was "You got married." I say no. She then said "You jumped out of a plane." I replied "How did you know?" She replies "I always knew you would do it one of these days." No freak out, just laughter on her part. Meanwhile dad is at the office sweating bullets waiting to hear from me. Go figure.

I agree with what Airtwado said...get a video. When my parents saw the videos of my tandems and AFF, they could see the joy in my face. They never worried.

Good luck and welcome!B|

Wow - Geat replies! Thanks all, so much. So good to know it's not only my parents. :)

OK - to answer a few of the questions... I'm jumping at Skydive The Ranch, that's where I've been training. About 85 or so miles outside the city.

It's not so much that I fear mom and dad, or worry about their wrath or anything, I just don't need them worrying about me all the time - I'd prefer there to be a way to get them to chill - hopefully, if I can bring them up to the Ranch at some point, they can see what I'm doing and understand how I do it, that I take all the precautions I can, that I'm not reckless, etc. Hopefully, they'll get it.

The guilt factor - My mom is like the obi-wan of the guilt factor.

Again, thanks much for all the answers - yes - I owe a case of beer. If there are gatherings, and I assume there are, I shall bring.

ntrprnr

I'm a 32 year old guy, living in New York City. Single, 2 cats.

BTW, now would be a good time to tell them you're gay.:P:D

Thats exactly what I thought when I read that!!

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."