sid

We are raising morons (caution - rant)

...the parents would be teaching life skills, but this is an exponentially escalating problem and in many cases (not yours for sure, but many cases nonetheless) the parents themselves don't have those skills.

what do you think of chemical castration for "wannabe parents" without a "degree in Parent education" ?? :P:P

Or a parent licence you would have to pass before having kids ??? :P:P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

...the parents would be teaching life skills, but this is an exponentially escalating problem and in many cases (not yours for sure, but many cases nonetheless) the parents themselves don't have those skills.

what do you think of chemical castration for "wannabe parents" without a "degree in Parent education" ?? :P:P

Or a parent licence you would have to pass before having kids ??? :P:P

Great idea! Seeing as how babies don't come with 'owner's manuals'!

Chuck

Beyond the education system, I think that the major problem and contributor to this lack of conversational and interaction skills is the fact that it is not "cool" right now to speak clearly, sit up straight, use correct vocabulary, dress neat, act educated, or even BE educated. There is a culture being intergrated into the younger population which says all of these things are "uncool."

You might add to the list "spell correctly, and not use adjectives in place of adverbs".;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You might add to the list "spell correctly, and not use adjectives in place of adverbs".;)

I was raised in an area of London where Grammar was the lady that slept with Granpaw, but I can still hold a conversation, make a phone call, balance a check book and introduce myself without saying "wuzzup....." (sometimes):S
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Here's a hint, Mr. President, and all branches of government, start educating your youth. Don't tell them to get a degree, the status of a degree in America today will get you a job at Barnes and Noble (maybe), instead, educate them in life. Teach them how to run a bank account, how to have a conversation, how to shake someone's hand and introduce themselves.

Then teach them how to set goals, plan a strategy and achieve results. We are turning out a society of morons with diplomas who seriously believe that the only way to get anything is to win the lottery or sue somebody, and who can barely stumble through life.

I teach engineering. We are being increasingly forced to dilute our classes with content relating to "life skills". The more of that we have to teach, the less engineering, math and science we get to teach.

Teaching a kid how to speak on the phone or hold a polite, intelligent conversation is the parents' job, not mine.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Don't tell them to get a degree . . . instead, educate them in life.

Now that is a scary idea! What would the lesson be?

-Place your faith and your future in the LORD (and give generously!)
-You should help all other people selflessly (except the people we don't like)
-You should get whatever you can out of this life, cause you ain't coming this way again
-Greed is good. Greed works.
-Breed breed breed! The government helps those who help themselves to children.
-Don't have any kids! It's cheaper that way.

I'd have a hard time with the government teaching morals. Not their place, and the potential for abuse is enormous.

How nice it would be to live in a perfect world... It's nice to say that parents should take the sole responsibility, but the reality is that all parents need to feed and shelter their kids and to many, this may leave very little time for actual face to face interaction. We live at a time where babysitters, daycares, tv and internet are teaching our children. How much time do you think you would have with your child if you were making $5.25 per hour?
School may very well be the only consistent thing a child has in his/her life. We have a systemic problem that needs a systemic solution.

BTW, I think parents SHOULD be responsible for the "life skill" education of their children, but that is very unrealistic to many.

As to Kallend's

We are being increasingly forced to dilute

Education is definitely NOT top priority in the US. Like they say, to keep the masses uneducated and stupid, it's the best way to stay in power.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Bill - one step beyond there.... I never said anything about morals, just how to get through the day without coming across like a complete moron.

How to hold a telephone conversation (how to start and finish one and how to achieve your goal through it).

How to introduce yourself to another person and shake hands, with eye contact, then hold a conversation.

How to balance a checkbook, pay bills etc.

BASIC life skills.......
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

How much time do you think you would have with your child if you were making $5.25 per hour?

a person has no business having children if he/she fits into this pay bracket, in my opinion, of course.

if you (general) can't shoulder the responsibility of having kids, then don't have any for god's sake!!
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

>How to hold a telephone conversation (how to start and finish one
>and how to achieve your goal through it).

>How to introduce yourself to another person and shake hands,
>with eye contact, then hold a conversation.

>How to balance a checkbook, pay bills etc.

How to balance a checkbook, write a business letter and dial a phone - I agree there.

How to be polite - disagree. It's just not the role of the schools to teach stuff like that (IMO.)

Then teach them how to set goals, plan a strategy and achieve results. We are turning out a society of morons with diplomas who seriously believe that the only way to get anything is to win the lottery or sue somebody, and who can barely stumble through life.

Some of us do try to teach what you outline. Sometimes we succeed :)

When I taught chemistry to engineers at the University of Illinois, my strategy was to teach how to approach and solve problems. In the future, the vast majority would not use the course specifics, but they would all need to solve complicated problems. There were a lot of very smart guys (>90% of my students were male). A good deal 'got it;' another fair share transferred from the engineering school to LAS.

The last two years I've been teaching international security at Stanford and the Monterey Institute, predominantly at the graduate level. My strategy has shifted to teaching just enough of the technical information (bio-chem-physics) so that the students have a rudimentary "bullshit" detector.

Of all my students, the ones who have been the sharpest (even acerbic at moments) and most fun, from a teacher/prof's point of view, were those in a master's program at the Naval Postgraduate School. The class was composed of large urban fire chiefs, state emergency management directors, Coast Guard officers, etc. The role of experience and the lessons learned along the way to amassing their tremendously impressive experiences could not be underestimated nor emphatically over-emphasized. (Might apply to skydiving as well, eh? ;))

I'll also add a secondary nod to Chris' (ccowden) citing the coolness factor of being rude and 'stooopid.' Alternatively, you get accused of being a snob or an elitist.:S[:/]:(:S

blue skies,
marg

Man, you wouldn't last five seconds at my job!;) IF there is an idiot (and there is more than a bumper crop of them out there), he/she WILL call 911 eventually. The shear stupidity of they average caller is nothing short of appalling. For example, cell phone callers who have no idea what road they're on, or what direction they're facing, even. But what is even worse is the stunning level of illiteracy and ignorance within the 911 system. 911 operators who can't spell, for example, or those who don't have a basic understanding of how the fire department works ( I don't know how these people get hired) It's truly scary.

I just took a call from a person who wanted to know if she should evacuate her house due to a CO (carbon monoxide) incident ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTY, a distance of some 25 miles. AND this incident has been closed for 30 minutes now. It gets tight sometimes (most times) but I keep remembering that is job security.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

But what is even worse is the stunning level of illiteracy and ignorance within the 911 system. 911 operators who can't spell, for example, or those who don't have a basic understanding of how the fire department works ( I don't know how these people get hired) It's truly scary.

I applied for a dispatch position and was the most articulate person in the testing room.. passed my test with flying colors, and already had knowledge of the codes... I didnt get the job though. Apparently, smoking pot when I was younger prevented me from getting the job, even though the other people were only adept at "ebonics"....

Sometimes I just wish I could lie. Being dishonest would have gotton me that job.

>:(

Actually, that probably saved you from a career full of frustration and burn out.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

But what is even worse is the stunning level of illiteracy and ignorance within the 911 system. 911 operators who can't spell, for example, or those who don't have a basic understanding of how the fire department works ( I don't know how these people get hired) It's truly scary.

I applied for a dispatch position and was the most articulate person in the testing room.. passed my test with flying colors, and already had knowledge of the codes... I didnt get the job though. Apparently, smoking pot when I was younger prevented me from getting the job, even though the other people were only adept at "ebonics"....

Sometimes I just wish I could lie. Being dishonest would have gotton me that job.

>:(

That's probably how whoever else got the job!:D

Chuck

How much time do you think you would have with your child if you were making $5.25 per hour?

a person has no business having children if he/she fits into this pay bracket, in my opinion, of course.

if you (general) can't shoulder the responsibility of having kids, then don't have any for god's sake!!

Hi TC

Say what:o

Income level is a indicator of parenting skills.

BTW The parents of one of the kids who did the columbine school thing were making big $$$$.
But were "to busy" to interact with their teenage son.

R.I.P.

I wish I could speak to the general education system in my area, but I can't, so I'll speak to the 'special' education system.

Our daughter is in the gifted program. We have amazing teachers. :)). The kids are educated in leadership & teaching (yes, the class was required to make MS PowerPoint presentations and deliver them to the class). They are educated in our nation's history. They are educated in SOCIAL SKILLS to some extent, which I adamently lobbied for at the beginning of the year! Many 'brainy' children are left to solve quadratic equations, but never taught how to say 'Hello' and make a friend. [:/] That part is sad, and it is difficult for a parent at home, to try to teach a child social skills when they are not in an environment to practice it with other children. Oh we still work on it, but it's hard to guage the child's level of success when you can't see her/him interact on the playground. As mom, I get the report of the successes and failures, but this is coming from a nine-year old's mouth, so it's told from her perspective. I appreciate the teachers in my daughter's school so much, because they go beyond the academics, and into life.

Our boys I don't think would be a good comparison either, they are permanently disabled, and everything they learn relates to life...albeit on the most basic of levels.

For parents that are finding these items missing in their kids' education, we need to work on it at home obviously, but raise the issue with the teacher, and the school district. You don't have to be an angry, bitter mommy (that seldom works), just express that you would like to see the children develop in their life skills. -Parents, as I said, I'm sorry I'm not sure how it works in typical classes, but for each of my 3 kids, if I tell their teachers I want them to work on introductions, say, they must do it. Not 'if they want', if I put it into writing, it is required. Perhaps this is just Washington state, but if you dig further moms and dads, I PROMISE you you will find that your child has rights to levels of additional education you may have never even considered. -and I won't take credit for knowing all of this; we've had some very helpful people in our lives to help point t o the information that we needed.

As for the parents that don't have the skills to teach their kids, well for Pete's sake I couldn't teach my daughter some of the things she's learning today, she teaches me! :o Seriously though, I completely agree that some parents don't have any desireable skills to teach their kids (sometimes you wonder how they figured out how to breed in the first place, don't ya?! :ph34r:), and the babies will end up worse for it. B| Unfortunately, if that child does not have a teacher that is willing and able to extend the needed help to that child for whatever reason, the baby may slip through the cracks of society and find themselves in bad shape, and end up with what they know; manipulating people, getting heavily addicted to drugs, having a few babies here and there, whatever the case may be. Just like mom/dad did. They give up hope. :( My heart goes out to them, and I wish we could come up with a solution, but I don't see a viable resolution coming any time soon. [:/]

I am nowhere near the 'perfect parent'. I try to use my own failures as bad examples and what successes I have as good examples for my kids. In my own very humble opinion, the parents that truly 'fail' are the ones that accept defeat for themselves and their babies, and choose not to make the effort to improve. [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

As an educator it drives me insane when people put the blame on the educational system. When did it become my job to teach your children phone manners? When my daughter stutters or stammers on the phone, i blame only myself. (and by the way....she is 11 and has only been in my life for the past two years....)

I have had amazingly articulate students from parents who work three jobs to keep a roof over their kids head. And from parents who can afford one of them to stay home. I have also had complete shitheads from both situations. It comes down to parental involvement.

The number one predictor for a child's success in school is parental involvement....does the parent ask what the homework was? how school was??

Spend 15 minutes with your kid....let them know you expect nothing but the best.

Don't ask the educational system to do even MORE of the parenting role.....

AAAAHHH!!!!!

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

This is right up there with the parents who are baffled as to what to do about a kid who is not doing homework because he/she is on the phone/computer all night.

Stand up to your little darling...take the fucking phone/computer away...IT IS THAT SIMPLE.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

good job slugo...one thing has nothing to do with the other. go back and review the context of my point and then compare that to the non-similar point your post was about.

or do whatever it is you do...either way, well, you know the rest. ;)
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

good job slugo...one thing has nothing to do with the other. go back and review the context of my point and then compare that to the non-similar point your post was about.

or do whatever it is you do...either way, well, you know the rest. ;)

Hi TC

Ditto:)

R.I.P.

Geez, Scott....I always thought that you were so smart that your mouth couldn't run as fast as your brain....never dawned on me otherwise.

IN RE the rant...
I understand the girls point of view and in a perfect world that would be good to go but in reality, I agree with Sid.....WTH, are you just going to let the process continue?
Relate this to skydiving...would you put newbies as instructors? No, of course not. You can't let unskilled people try to teach skills they don't have. It would only perpetuate the problem.
So, what do you do for the kids who don't have the "everyday life" skills? One alternative is to teach these things in school....not a bad alternative. I believe an education should be much more than readin', writin' and 'rithmatic.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239