Hooknswoop

Peregrine Falcon

I've jumped a Falcon before...wasn't that impressed.:D

The birds are definatly badass! It amazes me the level of training they can retain and what they can do, its simply awesome.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I actually got to watch a show on falconry (sp?) this past weekend. He had both Hawks and falcons, several different breeds. The hawks he used in a team, and that was neat, they just hung out waiting in the wings (pun intended) and followed him where ever he went. The Falcons waited for command. What was more amazing, they came when called!!! that was wild to watch. Though he had to remember to turn off the mic, cause it confused the hell out of them. This was very cool to watch. And yes this was LIVE not on TV! B|
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

They use falcons to keep the pest birds away from military and civilian airports as to prevent bird strikes. They found it is much more effective then noise makers. Only takes one flight of the falcon to keep the airspace clear for a much longer time. Love the idea of a falcon taking down a pigeon or seagull.>:(
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

there was a show on the discovery channel a while back researching the speeds they can obtain and it was awesome. they basically took apart a neptune and put only the essential components on the bird and they finally found out that this bird could top 240+ mph!!!
it was kind of cool because they were having it chase a toy out of a c-182 from 10k and they thought it could only go 160mph cause they thought it was having trouble staying up with the toy, but they later found out that it was having troubly slowing down for it.
They had some one going head down to video and keept up with it pretty well, but then all of a sudden the bird just turned on the afterburners and there was no way he could react that fast and keep up. cool thing is the bird started to come out of that dive at like 100' and was flying straight and level by like 50' or something. now that's a swoop!
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Congratulations on your real life experience!
Thanks for sharing..
:P:P:P

"Noble".....is the only word I know to express these most highly skilled fliers.

The menacing hand of man was responsible for the near extermination of the peregrine falcon through the middle of the 20th century - the introduction of DDT and indiscriminate hunting contributing to the species' demise - and now there is a 21st century problem that has the potential to be worse.

We may have a situation worse than DDT in PBDEs (polybrominated diphenyl ether) It's in computers, wall coverings, drapes, tents. It's in the food we eat.
PBDEs are commercially produced substances used as fire retardants in a variety of products: the compound is blended into computer and television casings, carpet backings, textiles and electrical insulation. Research in the United States has already found contaminated, or addled, peregrine falcon eggs. They found the highest content (PBDEs) in peregrine eggs, more than any other species.

attached my favorite pic of Remington
http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/index.htm Canadian Peregrine Foundation

SMiles;)

We have peregrines nesting on our campus in downtown Chicago. There are several pairs in the city, apparently, they like the tall buildings and the pigeons.

A remarkable comeback from the 1970's.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Several falconers I know fly Peregrines. They are amazing creatures. I was out hunting with a guy who's Peregrine nailed a quail from a 1000' foot dive (aka stoop) only a few yards away from us. I sounded like someone hitting a watermelon with a baseball bat.

They are amazing flyers, but even falcons go in, sometimes. Several falconers have lost their falcons to collisions with the ground. Sometimes the intended target will dive to the ground as a diving falcon gets close, and the falcon can get so focused it follows the prey all the way in.

The "remarkable comback" is due to 2 factors. The DDT ban, and the captive breeding programs started by falconers. The government and various colleges tried unsuccessfully for decades to breed Peregrines in captivity. Falconers, understanding these birds better than anyone else, finally got it figured out.

In fact, the recovery has been so successful that the Fish and Game is about to begin allowing falconers to take wild Peregrines for falconry again.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

it was kind of cool because they were having it chase a toy out of a c-182 from 10k and they thought it could only go 160mph cause they thought it was having trouble staying up with the toy, but they later found out that it was having troubly slowing down for it.

In the video you can see how dirty he's flying, throwing wing out to stay UP with his owner and the bait. Once he's got the cue to move in, he drops quickly, grabs the bait, dives a little low & out, and then corks unbelievably hard to go play with his food. It's hard to imagine hollow bone taking that stress.

Those scenes on Willing to Fly were shot in the San Juan islands, up here in the Puget Sound (by Seattle). Overall, it's VERY cool.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)