gale

Naked Skydiving and Breathing

OK, so I've been aksed this really crazy question that I now am passing onto all of you:
when you skydive naked, is it necessary to breathe? (don't laugh), apparently someone thinks that enough oxygen will permiate the skin that you in fact will not "need" to breathe.
Anyone heard this?????
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

Of course it's true! That's why we can wear full face helmets. Of course, you have to leave a little skin at your neck exposed so the oxygen can be exchanged. That's also why we never jump through clouds - the moisture interferes with the process. Why, I was once on a 60-way where we damn near suffocated when we punched a cloud . . .
-bill von

I laughed at him too but he's my brother and he just kept asking me so now I have the thread to prove the common sense of the situation. Where did this idea start???
Gale
Life's not worth living if you can't feel alive

It's an old skydiver whuffo tale, started back with the God Frogs I bet...:D
Hey, I did a naked jump and I couldn't breath, but then again, when I opened the door it took my breath away because it was frigg'n cold!
Aerials
So up high
When you free your lives (the) eternal prize

BWWAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAHA................ HAAAAAAAAAHAAHAAHAAAAAAHAAAHAA!!!!!!
DAMN WOMAN, IF WE COULD BREATH THROUGH OUR SKIN I WOULDN'T HAVE TO STOP LAUGHIN' TO ANSWER THAT!!! AHHHHHHHAAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAHAHA!!!!!
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

You can either sit fly, so the air goes in backwards, but you gotta clinch a bit or you'll blow your asshole out. Otherwise, you'll need pierced nipples and belly to let the air in. As for permiating your skin, that is just absurd...
-Hixxx
"Sous ma tub, Dr. Suess ma tub" :S

"""it presents a larger surface area to the airstream for oxygen osmosis"""

Ohh SNAPS:P>>> ehehe that is the stupidest shit I have ever heard... ehehe LOL

So what are they thinking that some how underneath your skin there are the proper cells to exchange oxygen molecules into the blood stream? eheheh If that were true I would be holding my breathe in the wind tunnel!!! eheheh...

But really I think the "sitfly" ass breathing method works ehehehe... Just be aware of a nasty backfire with any hard openings:o LOL

-Steve S.

-Stevie
"I don't fear the man who wants 10 nuclear weapons, I'm terrified of the man who only wants one..."

Apparently there are those among us who don't think that breathing through skin is that absurd:
http://www.339jump.com/faq.html#breathing

They are for real??? :o:S Wow... :|

:D

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

My science teacher once told me that it's impossible to breath in freefall. When I told him I'd done it he insisted that I was wrong. What can I say.. Some people were born stupid and then some of those people were droped multiple times as a child on top of that :D:D:D

My science teacher once told me that it's impossible to breath in freefall.

Did he tell you why? I'd love to hear the explanation.

-
Jim

lol.. he kinda then realised i knew what i was talking about and was going... ahh umm just because :P:D

:D Ever notice if you're out of breath and breathing hard under canopy? It is highly possible that you -were- holding your breath in freefall! Not that you -had- to, but that you did...perhaps from being tense or highly focused on your freefall skills.

Some people used to say that if you were breathing hard under canopy, that it must have been an excellent and fast working time in freefall...not particularly so...it was because you were holding your breath! ;)

Food for thought,
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

"Apparently there are those among us who don't think that breathing through skin is that absurd:
http://www.339jump.com/faq.html#breathing"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read that while doing research on skydiving after my 1st jump. I thought it seemed legitimate and actually gave that explanation to people. I think I bought it because during that 1st 60 second freefall it felt to me as if I could not inflate my lungs due to the pressure. I wasn't gasping for air, but it just seemed that I couldn't use my lungs...

Not to make you feel bad at all. The site I referenced before is an actual DZ which means they are actually telling people this... today.. My point is simply that they should know better.

I was once told that rain hurts when you are skydiving because the pointy bits are on top and we fall on them. and for half a second.....

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

In Goldfinger, that chick suffocated because they painted her skin gold. perhaps, it's TRUE... believe it or not

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky