kansasskydiver

Are you affraid of heights?

I was . . . but I'm not anymore. Took me revisiting Six Flags to realize the fear was gone.

I mean, think about it . . . under canopy, you start out at 3k (which is where one might say it's TOO high for the fear to kick in), but you go all the way to 500 ft., 200 ft., 30 ft., down to 0. Guess the canopy ride got me acclimated to lower heights as well.

shit the red tower at six flags give me the willies walking to the fence. kinda wierd but dont have any trouble jumping out of the plane and im doing well on relaxing in freefall. but the fear might completely go away with time and lots more jumps. but i dont see it happening anytime soon.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Yup.

At least, I was. Dunno, maybe I'm like Kelly and not afraid of them any more, but I was DEATHLY afraid of heights before. I wouldn't look over the scenic look-outs on trails, or by the falls, and I would stay way to the inside if I had to visit a highrise building's observation deck.

-As a kid on a family vacation, Mt. St. Helen's Nat'l park has some kind of cliff on a huge rock slab with a fence that visitors can look off of. I crawled on my belly to the edge and then was so petrified daddy had to carry me back. :(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

YES deathly afraid...

i dunno, having a rig on makes things much better. :)
CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Totally afraid of low heights. I was a tandem guinea pig for a couple of friends getting their tandem ratings and not having on a rig in the airplane totally freaked me out. Like stated before the gear and the faith of said gear makes a difference.

Nope, not at all. Guess it came from helping my father shingle houses when I was a kid. Nailing down shingles on the edge of a 30 foot drop over the back side to the basement kinda fixed me I guess.

Plus, I loved to climb trees when i was younger. I wish I could still fall out of them though and not get hurt anymore:P

Simple question. Are you affraid of heights? I hear all too often from whuffos that they wont go cause they're affraid of heights. I for one am, but it's totally different than standing on a ladder.

Yessir! It's a whole 'nother game though, when you're in the door and ready to make a leap. I don't know how to explain it.

Chuck

Simple question. Are you affraid of heights? I hear all too often from whuffos that they wont go cause they're affraid of heights. I for one am, but it's totally different than standing on a ladder.

I used to be very afraid of fixed heights, but BASE jumping changed that.

Walt

I still get creeped out about heights. Especially if I don't have a rig on.

So now I don't have a fear of falling per se. I have a fear of falling before I'm ready to fall. :$

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

My wuffo friends thought I was nutz when we were helpng build my friends shop. I didnt want to be the one monkeying around on the red iron. Everybody just figure that cuz I jump outtta airplanes Im not afraid of heights.
I told em from that height, I can save my life, from this height, I can break my neck. :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

my thing is, i'm not afraid of heights in airplanes -- or in freefall or under canopy-- but on buildings and cliffs, I feel it deep in my gut. butterflies, wooziness, etc. but yet I'm compelled to LOOK! I can't help it, and I can barely drag myself away from looking down, even though it scares me deeply. pretty psycho, huh.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Nope. As I get older, I'm more concerned about losing my footing on slippery and slanted surfaces (e.g. roof). And sitting on the edge of the roof (bottom of the slant) leaning over the 2-story drop to concrete WAS a bit much for me.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

terrified of low heights. and low to me is 5K and down, so my hop-n-pop for my A was torture...until i did it. one of my more fun skydives actually - especially since the subterminal opening didnt allow my Sabre to do its usual slam job to me.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Yep...scared of heights. The answer is simple. There is no depth perception at jump altitude. You fall, and fall, and fall, and fall, and the ground doesn't seem to get any closer. Well, at least it shouldn't. If it gets closer at a very fast rate...grab grass.

agree depth perception has a lot to do with it. Also think you can sort of learn to be comfortable with heights. Used to be scared crazy of heights as a kid. Stated caving, again really not much depth perception since it is dark. But you know repealing down a 200’ pit hey it is freaking deep, it just swallowed up that rope…
but can’t see the bottom so off you go. eventually it was like hey walking on the edge 200’ above the ground is the same is on it. but think there will always be that extra sense of awareness , which is a good thing…