"I didn't go to the WFFC this year because..."

Agreed. I had a great convention. Saw soooooo many people I haven't seen in a year and met so many new friends.

It was great for me. Smaller or not. My husband seemed to have fun too. Not sure 'cause I didn't see him too much. But after looking at his credit card bill, I can tell he made a few loads! ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

You know, a great deal of people are commenting about aircraft. that's not what it's about for me. It's not about the free beer either. I drank far more Corona this year than free stuff. It's about the vibe and the people's attitude in general. This was my fourth WFFC in Rantoul (yea, that's means all of them), and this time I had BY FAR the best time. Maybe it's because of alot of things, but I tend to believe that it's the simple fact that so many naysayers and negative people stayed away.

Size aside, to be, this was the best convention in 5 years (everyone knows how bad '01 in Quincy was), and if it gets bigger again, fine, but don't change the tone...

I'm with Jim, I had a blast! It was a small turn out and it's SO far for me. I think a couple of shrinking years to cut off some of the bloat of the convention and get people used to doing it cheap and "roughing" it will be good for WFFC and in a few years it will be back to its former glory. But as for next year you will find me at Skyfest :)

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

Doesn't really appeal to me. I prefer smaller boogies like LP where I can hang with a smaller group and have a better chance of getting to know people. I'll party, but I'm not really looking for the biggest, craziest, scene out there. Same goes for the skydiving - at this point in my career, smaller boogies are just right for me - plenty of new opportunities without being overwhelming.

And I hate humidity. As JohnMitchell said, why the HELL would I leave the Northwest this time of year?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

1: The registration fee. I actually found myself driving up I-57 passing by Rantoul, and thought of stopping in for the day. I kept driving when I realised it would cost me and my wife $140 just to get by the front gate.

2: A history of over promising and under delivering. I knew at least one of the promised aircraft wouldn't show. I was right.

3: I can jump an otter at my home DZ. I don't need to travel to do that.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Even though I live not far from there, I didn't go to WFFC cuz I was scared. [:/]:$ With the low minimum opening altitude, the frequency of jump runs, the number of canopies in the air, the unpredictable landing patterns, the potential for people to be doing crazy/stupid things in the air (especially after boozing all night), and the opening over a town -- thats all too much for me at this point.

Now I might've gone to hang out and just check things out, but there was no way I was gonna pay the entire registration fee just to drop by! :S Why can't they do a daily rate or visitor rate or something like that?
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I'm with Jim, I had a blast!

Yep I'm in there as well. I didnt plan on going but sure glad I did. Always good to attend the WFFC its my #4 convention. No matter what with all the negative vibes about it to include myself at times not liking the Price and registration hike but what the Hell...Only once a year you know..Cant help the BAD FUEL prices everywhere anyway.

So all I can say is lets have Fun Skydive Skydive Skydive!B|
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

When I've been to the WFFC, I've had a good time. Would have loved to have gone this year, but....

I just couldn't take the time off from my new job. They might have let me, but it would've been kinda shitty for me to ask

I didn't have a parachute. Now I do :)
Peace~
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

just started a new job at the same time, so it wasn't really on the decision block.

But to get me to go 2000 miles, it would have to offer something I can't get from the local boogies, or from driving down to LA (near family and friends and nice accomodations for free).

The biplane is something I'd like to do. Another opp for 30k jumps would be nice when I'm more qualified. A big heli would appeal. Jumping with Norman Kent to get some really good shots - I would do that.

But I'm not sure all of this is enough to drop out $500 before I even get on a plane. I do have family in Chicago, so best chances would be if I combined a visit to them with this.

Missed the third WFFC in a row I might have gone to, always for the same reason. Can't afford it or get the time off. I just WISH I could get to the convention and jump my ass off, just once in my life.

Sounds like WFFC has taken a real beating this year. All the "really hip" people seem to be badmouthing it, then the two fatalities couldn't have helped. Hey, a boogie's a boogie. They come and go. Maybe WFFC has had its day, but I hope not. I just feel sad to see so many people trashing it when so many other people (like me) would give their left 'nad to go just once....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Jeth:
Even though I live not far from there, I didn't go to WFFC cuz I was scared.

Peek:
Dear, where are you getting your information about the WFFC?

What have you been told about:

J: With the low minimum opening altitude
P: What were you told that was?

J: the frequency of jump runs,
P: How often have you been told they occur?

J: the number of canopies in the air
P: How may have you been told are in the air at once and landing at the same time?

J: the unpredictable landing patterns
P: I saw a few. I did not see any collisons or even close calls. I did see someone snag a fellow jumper's canopy after landing (in the same direction) but they were both in the main landing area. There are plenty of wide open landing areas, for example, where the AFF students land!

J: the potential for people to be doing crazy/stupid things in the air (especially after boozing all night)
P: True, they could. But I must say that it is far more dangerous at the Convention at night!

J: and the opening over a town
P: Quite true, but with gigantic landing areas nearby.

J: Why can't they do a daily rate or visitor rate or something like that?
P: Did someone tell you the WFFC didn't?

Misinformation about the WFFC abounds. We have even experienced bad-mouthing by DZO's who do not want you to go to the WFFC and have fun because they will lose a (small) amount of your business, and even go to the extreme of telling you how "scary" it is to keep you away.

Please consider your sources.

Anyone with common sense and a good attitude about saftey will do quite well there.

We go to the convention faithfully every year we move in early and stay late... but this year we couldn't secure a tunnel... which could've been nice not having to actually WORK the convention for once, BUT it starts later and later every year and this year SO late that school started here 2 days before the WFFC began, so we just couldn't do it!

How awful...

it was sorely missed, and it IS much more expensive than previous years but as long as the dates conflict with school... we'll NEVER get to go again!:(:(:(

Pink Suits!!!

The in-air zoo factor.

I love to hear this from people who weren't there and some who never have been. Most of the people who complain are most of the problems.

I've been, there IS a zoo factor, but there are also plenty of places to land away from the crazies.

Real reason I didn't go was the registration fee, which is excessive if you can only be there a couple of days. I went to SDC instead and did 2-plane shots all weekend for $15 a jump.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.