kansasskydiver

Possible Stolen Gear on Ebay! (Possibly Midwest area)

Was looking around on ebay and saw 2 rigs being sold from my area that look rather fishy. I check the stolen gear section and haven't seen it reported, but doesn't mean it's not. The seller is clueless as to what they are etc. Please help out if you recognize the rigs, especially from the KS, NE, IA or OK area

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAVELIN-ODYSSEY-SKYDIVING-PARACHUTE-RIG-HARNESS-NR_W0QQitemZ7195220915QQcategoryZ106980QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/JAVELIN-ODYSSEY-SKYDIVING-PARACHUTE-RIG-HARNESS-NR_W0QQitemZ7195213169QQcategoryZ106980QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Well, I had my backpack stolen when my car was broken into a week or so ago.

It had my Blue Tony suit, helmet (cheap skateboard type), LOGBOOK!!!!, Alti-2, goggles and a bag of SkyBands (black packing bands). Thieves probably had no idea what they were.

This was in NorCal though.

drop the guy a few questions like where did he get the gear... if he says a person ask what size person the person was so you could estimate fit before you bid.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I sent e-mails to some of the local DZO's a few days ago, asking if anyone had had gear like this stolen and no one has replied, as of yet. The seller is a pawn shop in Kansas City and the owner was very upfront, even sending me pictures of the data cards (though no owner information was on it). I checked the serial numbers and couldn't find anything about them being stolen. Nonetheless, the whole thing seems a little screwy to me.

dayummm... I dunno bout everyone else but if I were that desperate for money, I'd sell the rig dirt cheap to a skydiver, not take it to a pawn shop where they'd have no idea of it's worth.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

SINCE THEY'RE BOTH RELATRIVELY NEW RIGS WHY NOT get Sunpath to check if the original owners have lost them, or can indicate who the last owner was
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I am trying to do just that.

It is a small world and it'd be nice to verify whether or not the gear is legitimately on the market. There are a bunch of bids already. I just asked for serial numbers and told him where to find them. He probably won't respond. It's not in his best interest to respond since he already has bids.

Someone is going to get this stuff for a steal.

Wonder what kind of canopies are inside. I can't get much from this:

MAIN CHUTE IS PART#J-051-____ SIZE J4K RESERVE IS PART NO J-003 SEPT 2003 JAVELIN RESERVE PILOT CHUTE JAVELIN HARNESS CONTAINER PART NO 101 C18 MODEL NO J4K DATE MFD SEPT 03. WE HAVE PICTURES OF THE TAGS IF YOU WOULD LIKE THEM

:S

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Can someone post the pawn shop address for me? I don't know where to find that in the ebay ad.. I live just north of Olathe and could stop by on Friday if I knew where the place was.. find out the story and see if the serial#'s to see if they are stolen.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Are they listed in Parachutist as stolen?

you are assuing the gear is from a USA origin, many stolen items cross borders
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Olathe Trading Post & Pawn
2111 East Crossroads Lane Suite 103, Olathe, KS 66062
(913) 780-3311
I like whitepages.com and before anyone gets pissy it is a business and not someones personal information
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I got them to send me a pictures of the reserve packing card and I know the rigger who packed it. I'll call him and see if he knows the owner

That's a great idea, checking with the rigger. Seems as though, the seller is a bit naieve in regard to parachute equipment. Through the rigger, you'll find, who the owner is and maybe, you can contact him and get to the bottom of it all.
Keep us posted.

Chuck

More than a bit naive. He doesn't even seem to know if there are canopies in it. (looks like there are, but it could be stuffed with newspaper, lol) And the Cypres...he has no clue what to call it, what it does, or the market value for one.

I haven't rec'd a reply from him.

I hope it isn't stolen gear and that someone just got desperate for money and pawned it.

I hope it isn't stolen gear and that someone just got desperate for money and pawned it.

Odds are its stolen. I dont know how much a pawn shop would give for a rig, but probably a fraction of what you could be is you really sold it dirt cheap at your DZ....
Remster

More than a bit naive. He doesn't even seem to know if there are canopies in it. (looks like there are, but it could be stuffed with newspaper, lol) And the Cypres...he has no clue what to call it, what it does, or the market value for one.

I haven't rec'd a reply from him.

I was trying to be kind to the 'seller';) I hope, it isn't stolen but, if it is, we kow where to direct the 'proper authorities'!:D

Chuck