RkyMtnHigh

Expensive Sport

I think it's interesting how many jumpers are unemployed or flat out broke and struggling to make ends meet yet they participate in such an expensive sport.

It is to the point of Ramen noodles 10 packages for $1.00, tuna, and peanut butter and crackers to afford to keep jumping each weekend.

What is this phenomena all about? A coworker asked me today what makes us sacrifice so much to do this over other things?

I think it's interesting how many jumpers are unemployed or flat out broke and struggling to make ends meet yet they participate in such an expensive sport.

It is to the point of Ramen noodles 10 packages for $1.00, tuna, and peanut butter and crackers to afford to keep jumping each weekend.

What is this phenomena all about? A coworker asked me today what makes us sacrifice so much to do this over other things?

It's like the old comment about cocaine referring to it as "nature's way of telling you that you need to make more money!".

Walt

It's like the old comment about cocaine referring to it as "nature's way of telling you that you need to make more money!".

Walt

I recall it to be "nature's way of telling you that you make too much money!".
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Its funny you should bring this up.

3 weeks ago me and my wife were discussing the fact that I want to get back into the sport.

She came back at me with " it's such an expensive sport though especially if you want to buy a rig again"

2 days later I got offered a new job which now allows me to get a rig and get jumping again.

Even though I have been out of the sport for a yr or so, I still long to be up in the skies again.

I fookin love it.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

OK. Here goes . Me & the wife did aff # 1 . Dublin. march. November & now we have 29 jumps & 22 jumps . = about 10,000 . ( bought own rigs ) .. Point is . Talked to a girl that did one tandem & she just bought a 4 wheeler for 9 grand . So .. NOT that much when you compare ..
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

I go thru phases in the sport. From jump #1-100 or so, I had to jump as many times in one day as possible..for some reason, my jump #s equated to my level of skill...then I went thru a lull..and realized that it was quality vs quantity..and decided to spend the money on jump tix and coaching...then another phase of feeling of "who cares if I jump twice, three times or five times today"..but I still got shit that I wasn't jumping as much as usual...:S

She wasn't whining oh bright as an eraser one. She was making a point. :S

I think he was misunderstood. Bry is a good friend and wouldn't call me a whiner...we've been thru so much together and that's not his style. I think he meant something different...really. :ph34r: But thanx a lot for going to my defense sistah.;)

I go thru phases in the sport. From jump #1-100 or so, I had to jump as many times in one day as possible..for some reason, my jump #s equated to my level of skill...then I went thru a lull..and realized that it was quality vs quantity..and decided to spend the money on jump tix and coaching...then another phase of feeling of "who cares if I jump twice, three times or five times today"..but I still got shit that I wasn't jumping as much as usual...:S

It's all about fun . are you enjoying it more than other things in your life ? Go with what makes ya WARM.. aka.. Feel good .. :)[:/]
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

We should always put quality ahead of quantity. But I've always enjoyed jumping a lot because I love being in the air. Plus as I try to refine my skydiving and swooping skills, it helps to get back in the skies ASAP to correct what you may have done wrong on that last jump or to repeat what you did well on the jump. Of course you need to recognize what went wrong before you can correct it and that's where coaching comes in.

Oh and in my new adopted city of Vancouver, you should see the crack heads and petty property crime they bring to the city. Sometimes I question what country I'm in. I felt safer in suburban Denver than I do here in the city of Vancouver. So what does this have to do with skydiving? Hmmm ... crack heads versus skydivers I guess. We're both troubled souls. I'm thinking that I'll be on the noodle diet before you know it if I don't find work within the next few months. I really want to go to Eloy this x-mas but I know that will cost me another 1k which is there in the bank account but not spending the $$$ could sustain me for an extra month of unemployment. Ah shit, I'll likely be at Eloy anyway. I can always draw on some resources from my home equity line of credit and I have plenty of extra skydiving gear which I can sell once my new JVX arrives in town (a spare rig, two velocity canopies, a Samurai canopy, Spectre canopy and a wingsuit). Plus while it's horrible to think this way, do I really need two BASE jumping rigs and a motorcycle. I've got plenty of things I can sell before I'm on the streets with my crack head buddies.

Skydiving has been a blessing and a curse to this camper. :|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't see it at my DZ. My dropzone is relatively affluent. I mean, we have our poor jumpers but most of us have jobs...decent ones.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

And not only do we have an expensive addiction, but how many of us own our gear? Then shortly thereafter, decide we need newer, brighter, fancier, better gear? Or we change disciplines and need different gear to participate?

I can personally vouch for 2 containers, 2 canopies, 2 helmets, 3 altimeters, 2 pair of goggles, sunglasses, 4 pairs of tackified receivers gloves, a Pro-Track, 4 hook knives, night gear, 3 sets of risers, 2 spare sliders, jumpsuit, packing tools, a rigger's kit, 2 gear bags.

And in spite of what I ALREADY own, I am currently lusting after a new, better fitting container, a better flying canopy, a larger CRW canopy, a Neptune, a Cypress II.

And let's not even TALK about how much I've spent at CRW meets, boogies, boogie fees, trips, camping, wind tunnel time, food, gas and "extras" like skydiving shirts, etc.

Yup...It's just like crack. The more you have...the more you want! ;)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

...What is this phenomena all about? A coworker asked me today what makes us sacrifice so much to do this over other things?

Instead of trying to explain it, have them try it...then maybe they'll understand what it is that calls us to the air.
I can't put it into definitive words.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And in spite of what I ALREADY own, I am currently lusting after a new, better fitting container, a better flying canopy, a larger CRW canopy, a Neptune, a Cypress II.

you might kill me for this, but i put a 50% off a wings certificate on ebay a few days ago. i think it's still @ $15 but i haven't checked. so, just letting ya know;) i know where you're coming from a little bit. i spent a bunch on training alone. completely worth it though!!! i have to break until next spring... which sux because i haven't been up there in sooooooooooooo long:( kind of makes me glad we *dont* have a tunnel here...:P
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce