BrianSGermain

Pilot Chute Packing Video

Brian, I have also been folding my bridle similar to this so that it comes out nice in case of a horse shoe.

One thing comes to my mind though.. Why wouldnt you fold the bridle against the ZP rather than in between the mesh ?

IMO there are two downsides to folding between the mesh:

-The mesh of your PC will wear quickly since it creates small amount of friction on the mesh every time you throw your PC. (if you fold it against the ZP theres much less friction as the bridle unfolds)

-Also in a horseshoe situation the ZP will allow the bridle to come out even smoother

What do you think ?

My main reason for putting the bridle inside the mesh is as follows:

It gives a bit of friction to prevent the relative wind from pulling the bridle out (I freefly) This is especially important for ZP pilot chutes.
(I use F-111 because it stays in the pouch better, and gives better openings than ZP)
(PD found the same thing in their testing.)

Also, it does not seem to wear out the mesh any faster than other methods (20 years of testing)

-BG
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

I could have sworn I responded to this thread. Not sure what happened. But, thanks again! B|

Anyway, out of curiosity, was this pilot chute packing method tested with an intentional HS? If so, at anytime, did it clear itself with enough drag?

I doubt anyone would be willing to cause an intentional horse-shoe to test this, but I do know that folks have reported accidental premature deployments that have cleared due to this method.

-BG

Hi Brian, I didn't know that method of packing a pilot chute was from you. I use it after I saw it in a VECTOR main and reserve packing video (2003) provided by the Relative Workshop. It's maybe not a coincidence since on your video you display a VECTOR II. I personally have a ZP pilot chute with my VECTOR III and so far have no problem with openings but a friend of mine, also with a VECTOR III use a F111 made pilot chute which is wider in diameter, he too is happy with openings. One thing you didn't discuss is the possibility of a bridle and hackey (or handle) entanglement. I always have thought that folding the bridle into the pilot chute (inside the mesh) was meant to prevent such a problem.
I have jumped at Malone once in a while since early eighties. Dick Swanson told me you were from there. Cheers. Andre.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi Brian, I didn't know that method of packing a pilot chute was from you. I use it after I saw it in a VECTOR main and reserve packing video (2003) provided by the Relative Workshop. It's maybe not a coincidence since on your video you display a VECTOR II. I personally have a ZP pilot chute with my VECTOR III and so far have no problem with openings but a friend of mine, also with a VECTOR III use a F111 made pilot chute which is wider in diameter, he too is happy with openings. One thing you didn't discuss is the possibility of a bridle and hackey (or handle) entanglement. I always have thought that folding the bridle into the pilot chute (inside the mesh) was meant to prevent such a problem.
I have jumped at Malone once in a while since early eighties. Dick Swanson told me you were from there. Cheers. Andre.

Funny, I just got off the phone with Mike Swanson, he is at 4000 feet in the Otter at Perris! I was surprised he answered the phone!

It is possible that putting the bridle inside the mesh can help to inhibit entanglements with the handle, but I think that keeping the bridle tight will really help there. Folding the bridle with the pilot chute on the rig will help you to do that.

--BG

It may save your butt!!

It might have saved mine!
Yep, I have been doing it wrong - just as you illustrated in the video. Thank you for setting me straight before it became DEAD wrong.

You are most welcome! Help spread the word!!

CYA
Brian

Hi Brian,

Actually, whenever someone comes to me with doubts about his pack job what I do is grab his pilot chute and stretch the whole gig to show him what´s going to happen when he deploys. It´s late and I don´t want to do it with my parachute now but next saturday I´m going to pull my bridle and see what happens.

Thank you for helping me question my packing technique. There´s always room for improvement...

Blue skies and safe landings, Rafael

Hi Brian,

Actually, whenever someone comes to me with doubts about his pack job what I do is grab his pilot chute and stretch the whole gig to show him what´s going to happen when he deploys. It´s late and I don´t want to do it with my parachute now but next saturday I´m going to pull my bridle and see what happens.

Thank you for helping me question my packing technique. There´s always room for improvement...

Blue skies and safe landings, Rafael

I guess the trick to staying alive is to never assume that what we are doing is the perfect way. The sport continues to evolve every time someone thinks outside the box. Keep on thinkin'!!

CYA
Brian

Brian,
I have been packing my PS using a very quick technique someone taught me for the last year or so. No problems yet but I did the "bridle/horseshoe" test just a min ago and it bundled up in the BOC just like you said. I have a Mirage with the FF hacky tab and can sometimes be a pain to line up so that the bridle folds are on top of the tab rather than under. Hope this makes sense but if the bulk of the bridle is under the tab in the BOC, it won't rest flat against the bottom flap. Using your method, I have to rotate the PS around till it is aligned properly so that the bridle folds will match up. Any tips on packing this type of PS?

Brian,
I have been packing my PS using a very quick technique someone taught me for the last year or so. No problems yet but I did the "bridle/horseshoe" test just a min ago and it bundled up in the BOC just like you said. I have a Mirage with the FF hacky tab and can sometimes be a pain to line up so that the bridle folds are on top of the tab rather than under. Hope this makes sense but if the bulk of the bridle is under the tab in the BOC, it won't rest flat against the bottom flap. Using your method, I have to rotate the PS around till it is aligned properly so that the bridle folds will match up. Any tips on packing this type of PS?

If I understand you correctly, the way to ensure that the bridle is routed correctly is to put it on the right side of the handle, as the pilot chute is on the rig, with the handle on the bottom. That way, when you roll it all up you will have things where they need to be.

My main reason for putting the bridle inside the mesh is as follows: It gives a bit of friction to prevent the relative wind from pulling the bridle out (I freefly)

(I'm not a fan of the bridle in the mesh - too many other things going on inside there - and actually do keep it against the F111. I freefly, and most of the other disciplines. Otherwise identical. I'm NOT a fan of ZP for pilot chutes for general skydiving use. Good spandex on the BOC, and a nice tight wrap before insertion seems critical to me for finishing this method to keep the bridle where you put it. OF course, gear with a full bridle coverage is kinda helpful)

It's a great concept and thanks for coming up with it.

Keep your BOC tight and fresh and your closing loops new.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Brian, I've been teaching this to everyone who will listen since you showed it to me about 10 years ago.

I also discovered a very important by-product of this method.

About three years ago I was packing my pilot chute and every time I tried to pull the center of the mesh out to the edge (during the first step) my hackey kept coming with it. I then realized that I had not cocked my bridle.

It is physically not possible to pack an un-cocked pilot chute when using this method.

A pretty nice by-product, don't you think?

Sandy Grillet
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

every time I tried to pull the center of the mesh out to the edge (during the first step) my hackey kept coming with it. I then realized that I had not cocked my bridle.

I too was shown this method ~8 years ago by Brian, I was new to the sport and he sold this point as an advantage, of course I have been using this method ever since. I had never seen the video and was suprised to watch it and see that he didnt mention this as another positive reason for using the method... Ive shown people this method before and found around 50% are resistant to changing the way they do it. Go figure...

Nice. Any estimate when the canopy packing video will be finished?
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

We should have it done this summer. I recently found a packing video I made in 1998, and discovered some stuff that we need to add. This is a HUGE topic and I want make sure that I do a good job.

Thanks so much for your patience.

--Bri

Brian,

I am curious what if in freefall main handle accidently goes through suspension tapes at the point where bridle connects to PC?
I was able to simulate that on the ground. If that happens PC become totally unusable...

Can you comment?

Thanks!