Thanatos340

Possible stolen Gear on Ebay..

It seems a little odd that somebody would sell a complete rig without knowing anything about it. If he's not a skydiver how did he obtain the gear in the first place, seems a little suspicious.

Could have been purchased as a lost luggage lot.
Remster

What I've found to be common is pawn shops....People pawn their gear and the pawn shops fequently list specialized items for sale on e-bay and don't know a thing about them.....I have 3 pawn shop owners who bring me gear that they get for a description and appraisal( i also check to see that it is not listed as stolen) before they list them on e-bay or craigslist.
With the number of feedbacks this guy has, I'd almost bet he is a pawn shop owner or one of those e-bay store owners(the people who will sell your stuff for you on e-bay)

It seems a little odd that somebody would sell a complete rig without knowing anything about it. If he's not a skydiver how did he obtain the gear in the first place, seems a little suspicious.

That is a possibility. There's a place in Scottsboro, AL that takes in a lot of lost luggage for auction or sale.

Once in a while I check in there and see if my stolen rig from 1997 pops up, but it never does. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Exactly what I thought...since there IS a pic of a suitcase with the stuff.;)

Why would someone include a plain old suitcase unless that's how they received it...I'm betting somebody 'lost' their gear traveling, and this guy bid on a lost luggage gamble.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Attached are pics of the reserve packing data card. I'll try looking up the certificate number of the rigger who assembled it.

If there is a way to search on a rigger's seal number and find-out who that rigger is, let me know. I'd be currious to know how to to that... although I'm not so sure that's a good thing... :S. Anyway, I suppose one could call the FAA and ask, but they may or may not answer. When you search on Airman Certificates at their website, they say they won't give out SSNs, Certificate Number or DOB.

The card is oddly empty, particularly for a rig from 1997.

Maybe, maybe not. From the pics on eBay, the rig looks really really clean... like its been sitting in a closet for the last 10ish years. I know this does sometimes happen as I once had a Vector 2 with something like a Raven ? Reserve and a Falcon 195 (I think) main presented to me for a repack that had been sitting in the owner's closet for a similar length of time. They had bought it all new after getting off of student status, put something like a couple of dozen jumps on it before deciding skydiving wasn't for them and into their closet it went. As I recall, there was the original A&P job on it and then maybe one I&R job after that where the person got a repack because "they were gonna get current", but back in the closet the rig went, most likely. I even recognized the rigger that had done the original A&P on it, Joe Crotwell. Anyway, the owner finally decided to sell and wanted to get the rig inspected and repacked so it was "up" and "ready to go". I did a good I&R on it, got paid, gave it back to him and kinda burst his bubble when he asked if he could get what he had paid for it, maybe a bit of a profit, and I said, maybe, but probably not if the prospective buyer knew much... as in the sport had since progressed past the V2, F111 mains, ROL throw-out, sans AAD... which his rig was of that vintange... even though it was well stored and perfectly airworthy, newbs would view it as "outdated", "not free-fly-friendly" and "obsolete" and likely not want to pay "new gear" prices for it even though it was still basically "new"... heck, even still had that "new rig smell".

I'm thinking the story for this rig on eBay is much the same.

If I read the packing data card right, it looks like the rigger that packed it is "RC6" and it was assembled and packed at Taft, CA. I can't recall if that was the Taft - Jones' days still or if had become Taft - Will's by then... or by 97 did Crouch have his operation running at the Taft airport vs. the bowl by then?? Its been too long. :S

so whats the verdict? I dont want any stolen gear.

imput/suggestions guys:
I'm new and I need gear soon, I know I'm not ready for the 150 but....could work towards it.
(I.C.D#2 VP)
"<3 ..Looks like breasts coming out of an ice cream cone. Mmmm."~John Mitchell
"I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

so whats the verdict? I dont want any stolen gear.

It appears to legit at this point. Anytime I see a Rig up for sale and the person selling it knows nothing about it, It is a Huge red Flag to me.. But in this case it does look like someone bought unclaimed/Lost Luggage and this was what they got. Being that it looks like the rig has not been repacked in 11 years, Sounds like this bag may have gone on a lOOOOONG trip.

As for this being right for you.. Standard disclaimer: Only your instructors should answer that question. Beside, You really dont want bid against me do you?:)

And if I get this rig, There will be a fantastic Icon I6 with a Pilot 188 and Smart 175 listed in the classifieds here for a really good price.:P

If I read the packing data card right, it looks like the rigger that packed it is "RC6" and it was assembled and packed at Taft, CA. I can't recall if that was the Taft - Jones' days still or if had become Taft - Will's by then... or by 97 did Crouch have his operation running at the Taft airport vs. the bowl by then?? Its been too long.

It would have been Wills at Air Adventures West or Daves. I'm sure Jones sold it to Will a few years earlier than 97. But then again if it was Wills, it would be hard to track down the information for the rig[:/]
Na' Cho' Cheese

The gear could have been purchased by someone who legitimately buys merchandise from unpaid storage sales. They get a legal title to everything in the sale. I know a guy who does that a lot, recently sold several rigs. (they were old stuff, I was surprised at the money people paid for junk rigs)
Sometimes you eat the bear..............