skybytch

Favorite Stupid Job

The stupid job. You know, the kind of job where you do something mindless and/or non-challenging, you are responsible for very little and the pay is low but reliable. We've all had at least one.

I'm in need of another one, but can't decide which to pursue. I've already eliminated food service and any form of cleaning from my list of possibilities, as those were the stupid jobs I had in the past that I didn't enjoy.

I wanna know what other stupid jobs are out there. So tell me, what was your favorite stupid job? Why did you like it?

Print shop assistant, hands down.
All day you feed copiers, printers, and other machines that involve power and cutting.
At the end of the day, you have all the stuff that you made, which leads to thinking you actually accomplished something.
And how you do the work impacts what it looks like, without your being able to actually mess it up too badly most of the time.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Actually didn't get paid for it,, just helping out.
But helped stuff ads in Sunday time for LATimes.
Fingers get real dirty, can't pick your nose and after awhile you really want to pick your nose and/or rub your eyes.

Oh, and some job putting tags on t-shirts and going to the post office ! (that one I really liked and even got paid!):)

I worked at a printing company who had a contract with AAA. I stuffed AAA mass mailers by hand for a month. pulled from 8 piles of printed brouchers and stuffed them into one envelope.

Paper cuts were the worst thing that could happen to me and I got many many paper cuts. That and the noise since I was given a table out on the print floor where the 4 color machine was printing 24/7 :D

Job kept me stoned and out of trouble for a month or so. :ph34r:

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

My favorite stupid job is my current one - as a hostess. I have a new job starting up soon as well, but that one's not so stupid.

Hostessing is SO mindless. The only "responsibility" you have is not to piss off the servers by double-seating them . . . or not seating them fast enough. :D Doesn't pay very well, though.

Tandem Instructor.

Oh, wait, just kidding.:D:P

Ok, seriously, working at an ISP on the help desk and as an assistant sysadmin was a good mindless job. Its not hard, or wasn't hard atleast and it paid pretty well for my station in life then.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Bought my first rig by scanning standardized tests at
Harcourt.
8 hours of the same repetitive noise. Very meditative.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

i'd have to say it when wheni worked as a clerk in a dry cleaners.... i would take in orders and then tag them with a nuber so they would be found with the costomers ticket and then put them in the right bin for startch or just dry clean..... it payed okay at the time 7/h vs. 5.15/h for min wage..... working at a golf course cleaning the golf carts and picking up golfers in the parking lot was also pretty cool, made decent tips at that too... but it required almost no thinking....... hel i got a bunch of free beer out of it ( you would be suprised how much beer just gets left in a goldf cart and once, only once did we find som green in a cart... it got smoked that night....

Worked in a graveyard. I did paperwork in a trailer they had set up as an office to sell burial plots and cremations.

Up side: the clientelle was pretty quiet (:D), so I got to sit around a read a book and wait for phone calls. Pay was pretty good actually, because nobody wants to work in a damn cemetary. :P

Down side: -it either smelled like formaldehyde or BBQ every minute you set foot outside of the 'sales office' trailer. And having bodies all around you wasn't the coolest thing, either...[:/] And I unfortunately saw the disreputable side of cadavar disposal as well (how about, "damn, that's the wrong body, but nobody will know the difference after he's cooked." :S.) There are some sick *&%$s in this world. :(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm thinking that when I retire, I want to be a coffee machine repair man. Drive around all day enjoying the great outdoors. Fix coffee machines in offices. Think about it, you're hardly ever in the same location, you're ALWAYS the hero when you fix the machine, and nobody will die if you don't do your job. An added plus, you'll never be out of work. Those things seem to break all the time. You either repair the old one, or just replace it with a new one. How hard is that?

If you get paid by the number of machines you fix, you can work as much as you need to support your skydiving.

Just my two cents.

Door greeter at Wal-Mart. No seriouly, I did it for about three months, and I'm probably the only person under the age of 65 to be a a designated door greeter. It was awesome, all I did was stand at the door and say hi to everybody that walked in and occasionally mark packages or check receipts. Its a super cake walk, but you better have an active imagination or the tedium will eat you alive.

Grendel Khan-The Official DZ.Com Newbie Forum Nuisance
"They sicken of the calm, that know the storm."

I would say my favorite mindless job was Nursery Attendant. It was cool I was out in the sun all day, helping people choose plants for thier gardens and whatnot. It was actually kind of serene once I figured out what I was doing. Plus helping out that one hot redhead with the southern drawl that one day overshadowed the downside of all the old ladies in thier tennis outfits wrong just wrong... ugh somebody please hold me.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Bought my first rig by scanning standardized tests at
Harcourt.

What a coincidence. I spent a summer a few years ago scoring those school tests which you scanned.

There was an online system that would make an image of a kid's paper pop-up on your screen, and you had to score it according to training and guidelines given to you. Then another paper appears. And another. And another. It's kind of fun for about the first 50 papers. Then it gets boring. Then after about a 1,000, you're ready to freaking scream! Fortunately there were occasional moments of brilliance or humor in the papers, to keep you awake.

After a month I got promoted to team leader, so I didn't have to do so many papers any more. I just handled the weird exceptions, like the kids that wrote that they wanted to whack the teacher with an axe, or interpreting handwriting that was illegible.

Temping- if you are reasonably intelligent and reliable you will exceed the client's expectations. You can take short term assignments so by the time you are either bored with the work or sick of your co-workers you can move on to something else. And if you are reliable and reasonably intelligent, the agency you work for should have no trouble placing you regularly. And since its temporary, you can take time off if you need to. (Just not so much that they can no longer consider you "reliable"!) I used to do a lot of temping when I was younger and since then I've had a lot of temps working for me. Now I understand why I got so many offers for full time employment as a temp- there are a lot of lameass temps out there!

There is retail (as in department stores.) Many are hiring just for the holiday season, but sometimes that can turn into full time employment. Fun for a while anyway- the main drawback is you spend a lot of time on your feet and most don't have casual dress codes. (other drawback for me would be that using my employee discount made a huge dent on my paychecks!) I worked one Christmas season in the toy department of a large "high end" department store. LOVED it! And you do have a lot of sales experience, too.

Its probably too late for a seasonal UPS job but also worth looking into.

Worked in a graveyard. I did paperwork in a trailer they had set up as an office to sell burial plots and cremations.

Up side: the clientelle was pretty quiet (:D), so I got to sit around a read a book and wait for phone calls. Pay was pretty good actually, because nobody wants to work in a damn cemetary. :P

Down side: -it either smelled like formaldehyde or BBQ every minute you set foot outside of the 'sales office' trailer. And having bodies all around you wasn't the coolest thing, either...[:/] And I unfortunately saw the disreputable side of cadavar disposal as well (how about, "damn, that's the wrong body, but nobody will know the difference after he's cooked." :S.) There are some sick *&%$s in this world. :(

You forgot to mention the real perk about working in a cemetary--you've got a lot of people under you.:D

Walt

Lisa you should be a bartender you have an awesome personality and the hours rock. You work from 8 or 9pm to 1 or 2am and make great cash and have the morning free for skydiving. I was thinking about it my self.

Good luck
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain