windcatcher

Best Digital Camera?

Canon has been leading the pack ever since the intro of digital photography. Today, depending on your budget...

Canon Digital Elph : aprox $350

Canon Rebel XT : aprox $800

Canon 5D : aprox $3500

Canon 1DsMKII : aprox $7200

thanks for the edit! ;)B|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

It's really going to depend upon what you want to use the camera for. Do you want a good optical zoom? Do you want to use a certain type of memory card? Is the camera mainly going to be used for indoor, outdoor, or bukkake photography?
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Wow, lots of fans of Canons. I personally don't like the Canons. The IS is nice, but I don't like their menu system or where they put the controls.

I voted other and say U gotta go with OLYMPUS!! I have owned 4 different Olympus digicams over the years and they rock. The buttons and controls are very easy to use and there are some great shortcuts. The pictures are fantastic as well. Many pros use Olympus.

If you want to compare and read some good reviews, I recommend the following sites:

Steve's Digicams

Cnet.com

Photographyreview.com
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Most come with puny memory cards and eat batteries like crazy. When you buy the camera, do yourself a favor and buy a decent sized memory card as well as some rechargable batteries. My guy surprised me with one last Christmas- since it was new, we kept playing with it. I swear the first set of batteries was dead within an hour, and the card would only hold about 20 pictures. So, so much for taking a gazillion pics with the new camera on Christmas day!

That's my only real complaint- its an Olympus and takes very good pictures, AND its easy to use. I just think for what the camera costs, they could throw in a 64 bit card instead of 16, and maybe software that works without you having to purchase an upgrade!:S

no brand is better, compare cameras against cameras. Do yourself a favor and spend some time figuring out what you want. megapixels and optical zoom is NOT everything!! try www.dpreview.com for example. Also look into olympus.. they have some really good ones (it wasnt on your list).

thanks for the edit! ;)B|

your are welcome.

I will also add that I have been using photography directly or indirectly as an art director for quite a few years... I used to be a Nikon/Blad person, but for a while now Digital tipped the scales clearly towards Canon.

The XT (or 350 in Europe) is awesome for in air stuff, light, good resolution and you won't loose your pants if you end up doing a head plant on landing.;) People with 1D MarkII on their helmets make me nervous.

That said there is no overall best, only a best for what you need it for.

I bought Derek a Sony 5 megapixel last year and it takes great pictures. We have a bunch of 8x10s up in the house that you would never knows were taken with a digital, the colors are just incredible. We did have a problem about a month ago where there were spots on the pictures and there wasn't anything on the lens. I hadn't bought a service plan but it was still under Sony warranty, they replaced a bunch of components inside and shipped back with in like a week or two with no charge to us. I was very impressed because my Olympus took two months to get back and it did have a service plan. :S

Here is the camera he has except it's only a 5 megpix.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DSCP200&Dept=cameras&CategoryName=dcc_DIDigitalCameras_Cyber-shotDigitalCameras

Oh I forgot to add that there is an attachment that slides over the lens area that will allow you to put zoom lenses on. Derek has it and it's very cool and work really well.
Fly it like you stole it!