SPAWNmaster

How to get into rigging?

That's right! The kid with 45 jumps is asking!

But seriously...I'd like to start learning as much as humanly possible about my gear. What is the best way to get into rigging, learning the ins and outs of every function of harnesses, containers, deployment systems, canopies, fabrics, lines, etc?

I know it's kind of a broad question but I hope I'm getting my question across. Are there rigging courses offered or something? or should I just stick to nagging packers and riggers about the various intricacies of these things?

But seriously...I'd like to start learning as much as humanly possible about my gear. What is the best way to get into rigging, learning the ins and outs of every function of harnesses, containers, deployment systems, canopies, fabrics, lines, etc?

I know it's kind of a broad question but I hope I'm getting my question across. Are there rigging courses offered or something? or should I just stick to nagging packers and riggers about the various intricacies of these things?

I wish more people had that attitude about their gear! :)
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

If your really serious about learning about rigging, take all your rig apart, carefully. Then go see your rigger and watch him assemble it..... Thats a start. ;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Another thing to do is to simply look at your rig; first assembled, then unpacked, then finally disassembled.

Look at each component; how it's attached, and just think about how it works and why it is the way it is. That'll make the failure modes more natural to you, and you'll pay more attention to them, rather than simply being scared of bad juju.

The geometry of the main lift web; how the back pad stays on, what kind of stitching is where, how the three-ring works -- all of it has a reason, and if you figure out and internalize that reason, then you're on your way to understanding gear.

Ask questions.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

1. Don't just nag a packer, BE a packer. I started as a packer before I had an A license, and did it for 3 seasons. It will teach you a LOT about gear, handling fabric, different types of canopies, containers, packing methods, etc.

2. Watch your own reserve repack, but be considerate of the rigger who's doing it... let him/her know in advance you'd like to watch and ask questions, that way the rigger can work out a time that he's not busy and can truly take the time to work with you.

3. Hook up with your local friendly rigger and ask lots of questions... Riggergreg on here put up with me for almost 2 summers and my incessant questions. I know I frustrated the living shit out of him sometimes (though he's usually too nice to say that so bluntly :)
4. Every rigger does things differently, so even when you find one willing to work with you, hang out with as many as you can, learn from all of them. Even the assholes have something to teach if you can see through the bullshit they dish out sometimes. Sometimes what you'll learn from riggers is what not to do.

5. Rigging is more than the actual reserve repack and repairs, there's a philosophy behind it too.... some do more than others, watching lots of riggers will help you see the varying attitudes toward it and you can decide what kind of rigger you want to be.

6. As someone else said, get Poyner's manuals. Also get Sandy Reid's book (download it free online), get the riggers' course manuals and read them, answer the questions in them, check yourself to see if you are right or not.

7. Either take a riggers' course or do the work with a local rigger that is willing to work with you. I took Dave Dewolf's course and felt that he and his staff earned every penny I spent within the first day... you'll learn a LOT.

8. Never stop reading, learning, watching other riggers. I may not do a lot of repacks, just for my husband, myself, and a few friends, but I stay up to date on safety bulletins, reading on here and PIA forum, and picking the brains of riggers I really respect.

9. Pay attention to whatever the more experienced riggers than I am tell you in this thread :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Really. I applaud your attitude about learning. Good stuff! I hope you can propogate that attitude throughout your entire DZ. Again, good stuff!

Now...
Getting into rigging is not the problem. Getting OUT of it, is. Once you start, you'll never have a free moment of your own...ever again.
[:/]:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Really. I applaud your attitude about learning. Good stuff! I hope you can propogate that attitude throughout your entire DZ. Again, good stuff!

AGREED!!!

Now...
Getting into rigging is not the problem. Getting OUT of it, is. Once you start, you'll never have a free moment of your own...ever again.
[:/]:D:D

That ain't No Sh!t!!!:D
Like many I "just want to learn to do my own"...
Run man, its a trap!!!:D
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

If your really serious about learning about rigging, take all your rig apart, carefully. Then go see your rigger and watch him assemble it..... Thats a start. ;)

I disagree... 100%...

Take your rig apart. Then go to your rigger and put it back together. Don't let him do it.:P:P:P:P Participation is better than watching!

(P.S. anyone who is close to my house can do this anytime they want. Free repacks if you help... But don't think you can just hold a string and not give a crap and abuse me either.)

A good rigger working step by step with a skydiver can teach each other a lot. If nothing else, the customer will understand why repacks cost a lot of money because they take a long time to do right.

I'm not a rigger either but I do like to know all about the gear I'm saving my life with so I'm taking the Curious George approach until I can learn to sew. I've been packing my stuff since jump 6 and have learned to pack tandems at my DZ just because they are there and we only have one packer.

I sat with my rigger the whole time during my R&I and asked questions. It's good juju to know how stuff is assembled and works.

A good site if you need technical stuff or just need bathroom reading materials is:
http://www.parachutemanuals.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

That FAA handbook by Reid is under the Other Manuals tab.

Blue Skies & don't do anything stupid before you run it by an instructor first.B|

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

There are some good remarks posted. I started out just watching my rigger pack my reserve. When I wanted my ticket I would seek out the different riggers and ask to assist. I picked up both poynters Manuals and all the other books that are stated in the other postings. Another it the Material sample book. This will help you understand the different material that go into making a rig. To be a good rigger takes a lot of work on your part. I have started training 15 different people who thought they wanted to be a rigger. Only 2 completed. None of these people I charged, but it took a lot of my time for them not to work through it. Wanting to know your gear and how it works is a great start. Lear from all who are willig to go over things with you. I still lear from people even today. If I can help let me know.

Master Rigger Ben Crowell
H.A.L.O Tandem Master

For starters i recommend reading the poynters manuals.

Item numbers.

B1876 poynters manual 1
B1891 poynters manual 2
B2007 parachute riggers handbook written by sandy reid.
paragear.com

the last one can be downloaded from the FAA site i believe.

The Parachute Riggers Handbook can be downloaded here: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/