badlock

Why I jumped a whole Season with a BASE rig from 13K ft...

Hi Folks,

as you can imagine, the headline contains a tang of irony.
Of course, I didn't jump with a BASE rig out of airplanes, but I was the victim of a disastrous major rigging error that resulted in having a rig on my bag without a functioning reserve.

At the beginning of the last season I bought a brand new, custom-made Vector Micron (V310) with a Skyhook, a PD-R reserve, Cypres 2 and a Safire 2 main.
A great rig, very nice and well build.
But even if it was so well built, it was assembled in a fatal way that maybe would have prevented the reserve from (at least sufficient) opening.

The error was found during the regular repack and I thank God that I didn't have to use the reserve, even if I was a half of a second from a cutaway on one jump (due to a spinning main canopy).

When the rigger (NOT the rigger who assembled and packed the rig) opened the rig, he found the following situation on the reserve:

- The left Rear-Riser and the C and D Suspension Lines went thru the left front Grommet of the Slider.

- The left Stering-Line went thru the left tail end Grommet.

- The left Front-Riser went with the A and B lines thru the left tail end Grommet.

- The slink that holds the A and B lines was rotated at 180 degrees.

But look at the pictures!

My rigger guessed that the reserve wouldn't have inflated at all because of the blocked Slider.
He said, that this was the biggest major rigging error he had ever seen (2500+ reserve packjobs).

He informed the rigger who made this error and also the German Parachute Association
(DFV).

The causer told me the follwing:

- He led a rigger aspirant assemble and pack the whole system on its own.
- He didn't prove his work at all.
- However he (the rigger) placed his stamp and signature on the packing card.
- After the investigation by the German Parachute Assosiation, the rigger got just a
warning. He's still in business.

It would be interesting to hear:

- what the consequences in other countries would have been.
- what do you think what a reserve opening would have caused in this case.

Excuse me for my odd english, but - as you can imagine - I'm from Germany :)

Don't be a Lutz!

Jp,

Does it matter? A legally certified rigger should not make this type of mistake. We all know mistakes can happen.

At 100 jumps I doubt many jumpers have a "regular" rigger.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

- After the investigation by the German Parachute Assosiation, the rigger got just a
warning. He's still in business.

Is the German Parachute Association the governing body of parachute riggers over there? Or is there any authority by the government's aviation authority as well? (Here in the U.S. riggers are certified by the Federal Aviation Administration. I don't know whether that would have resulted in a different outcome/punishment - perhaps those who are riggers and/or have worked with the FAA here would have a better idea of that than I would).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Jp,

Does it matter? A legally certified rigger should not make this type of mistake. We all know mistakes can happen.

What makes me most uncomfortable about this story (at least the way it has been related by the jumper) is that the rigger in question seems to admit that he did not supervise or check the work of the trainee... and yet he signed off on it. Mistakes do happen; but something like this I don't think would have happened had the rigger been providing proper supervision of his trainee. That, to me, is grounds for more serious punishment, not the mistake itself.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

What makes me most uncomfortable about this story (at least the way it has been related by the jumper) is that the rigger in question seems to admit that he did not supervise or check the work of the trainee... and yet he signed off on it.

I'm a young rigger, so please excuse this comment if I need to brush up on my FAR's, but although a rigger can supervise and help a younin' along, signing off on his packjob for a trainee, isn't that a no-no? At least that's what the local dpre's teach...
=========Shaun ==========

WOW! :o:S

You are a much calmer individual than I am...:)

After I got a double the cost refund back from him, I would have to go home barefoot...my boots would be so far up his ass he'd be spittin' laces!!!>:(

Those two mutherfalkers were trying to KILL you.

Even though the rigger gave you an excuse...there absolutely isn't one.

If he was going to let a non rigger assemble and pack it without observing.....he should have just told you to do it yourself!! :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm not to 100 jumps yet but I have a regular rigger. He taught me to pack during my student progression, he I&R'd my rig, and taught me to pack tandems. When it's windy, I sometimes pester him with questions.

As such, I don't think I would even f'up an assembly like those photos. The lines thru the wrong grommets should be pretty evident by just walking the lines up.

I might screw up a slink assembly but I've never seen the instructions on how they are rigged. I'm not a rigger but anything I get, I generally look at the instructions before handing it over. YMMV
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

What makes me most uncomfortable about this story (at least the way it has been related by the jumper) is that the rigger in question seems to admit that he did not supervise or check the work of the trainee... and yet he signed off on it.

I'm a young rigger, so please excuse this comment if I need to brush up on my FAR's, but although a rigger can supervise and help a younin' along, signing off on his packjob for a trainee, isn't that a no-no? At least that's what the local dpre's teach...

Well, this was in Germany so I've no idea what the regulations are there. My comment was on the fact that he admitted to not even supervising the work (at least that's what I think the original poster meant - there might be a bit of a language barrier). I mean look at the photos. Don't you think even the most casual of supervision would have caught those errors?

Well, this was in Germany so I've no idea what the regulations are there. My comment was on the fact that he admitted to not even supervising the work (at least that's what I think the original poster meant - there might be a bit of a language barrier). I mean look at the photos. Don't you think even the most casual of supervision would have caught those errors?

I think a blind, drunk, rigger in a coma would have caught that mess if he smelled it! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Always carry a knife . . . it's the emergency procedure for when you are all out of emergency procedures . . .

(I've seen a lot of bad rigging, but that's real bad).

NickD :)

Ok I gota ask.....just what would you have done with a knife under that reserve other than put yourself out of misery before impact?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Always carry a knife . . . it's the emergency procedure for when you are all out of emergency procedures . . .

(I've seen a lot of bad rigging, but that's real bad).

Ok I gota ask.....just what would you have done with a knife under that reserve other than put yourself out of misery before impact?

Cut the misrouted steering line which would be causing a turn once it opened (fine, but a bit hard as the slider went down the lines and the left side got narrower as it traversed the crossed lines).

Ok I see that. Im still wondering about the front lines going threw the back of the slider though. Dont think you would want to cut all them out:D

“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

If the riglet who packed it managed to walk the slider up prior to packing than it would probably would have come down enough to allow the canopy to open. Cutting the control lines would help the control problem and if within reach slicing the slider in half might totally solve the problem.

I would have probally (1st instinct) cut the slider in quarters (front to back and side to side). But i do know one thing, i would make that rigger pay!!!!>:( Probally to the point that would put me in prison for a long time. He tried to kill you in an around about way. The only thing is that when i tried i would have a gun!

Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Jp,

It shouldn't matter but it does bring up a couple thoughts.....

1) At a 100 jumps a jumper SHOULD have a regular rigger. They should be working closely with a local rigger on their first gear purchase, new or used, using the rigger as a dealer, or not. When new jumpers buy gear without help, the chances of mistakes, over charging, buying crap, or gear unsuitiable fo them are much higher.

2) From my experience in the gear business, many new jumpers (especially those from overseas) order complete packages from dealers and manufacturers. Then they ask them to assemble and pack them. Now while the manufacturers do good work building gear, I think there needs to be an independent set of eyeballs looking at the gear before it goes on someone's back. Some of the biggest mistakes I've seen in both manufacturing and rigging were caught by in the field riggers. In some cases the mistakes were found after the item had been used, and was in for it's first post delivery repack, and in at least 2 cases the mistake cause a malfunction.

Jumpers should have an interest in their own gear, and work closely with a rigger to learn more about what's on their back.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Really? Would you?

I guess personal responsibility is out the window these days. Try looking at your own gear once and a while.

I have had to breakaway, more than once, and I knew EXACTLY what was on my back. I have since my 38th jump when I watched my rigger at the time assemble and pack my reserve.

Do you know what your rigger is doing for you? How careful is your rigger? Do you know what your "Plan B" looks like?

These are questions that every new jumper should be seeking the answers to.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.