thehardhat

Riggers -how to dispose of old gear?

Are there any riggers that know of the proper way to dispose of old gear no longer airworthy other than simply dumping it in the local landfill? I don't like the idea of throwing it on the dropzone bonfire either due to the huge volumes of toxic fumes that creates when it's more than just a single canopy. This issue I'm sure has by now become a major one that our sport has yet to address. Nylon doesn't just rot like paper in the ground. There must be some easy way to recycle all that otherwise useable nylon.
-Clouddancer
Live like there's no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when no one is watching.

If it's a canopy, simply cut the lines off at the canopy attachment points. Don't leave enough for someone to tie new lines on, and either donate the canopy to a school for gym class or something, or use it as a car or motorcycle cover. Or hell, hang it up in the garage. ;)

I dunno what to say about the rig itself.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Good question.

Some old gear has historical value, or can be recycled. Riggers may be happy to get some old gear, to use for riggers' projects, riggers' sewing training, student training aids, etc. But eventually stuff does need to be thrown out.

I also wonder about cadmium plated hardware.

As for lead seals in rigging shops, I've kept them to take to the local household hazardous waste dump.

As for lead seals in rigging shops, I've kept them to take to the local household hazardous waste dump.

keep them to fill weight belts :P
I have one of my deceased rigger in my belt:)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

contact stratostar. He may be able to use the hardware in his restoration of old rigs
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

send me some of it.
I jumped old B 4's and pioneer 3 pins, and mini system, stylemaster. but lost track,, Or else wore OUT most of it. sold some.. But i have kept a few things, including a racer, an old heavy weight Para Plane and a couple of trusty main and reserve canopies...a bunch of jumpsuits...

My dear wife of 27 years is always saying, "When are you gonna throw away B|;) all that stuff " ?? hahaha..
I keep it in a dry cool place, and it's actually pretty organized...

So now i'm thinking it would really get her excited,B|;):)did get rid of,,, way before i met her...
I think i still have some space for it, or can make some.

PM me a list and i'll cover shipping and handling and maybe even go a few $$$$ for certain gear...
really....... p s ... it's good to keep the wife excited...:oB|

edited to add..... If a rated rigger deems any gear to be worn out, or unworthy of jumping, i for one, have always been a jumper who accepts, respects and honors the judgement of damn near every rigger i've met..... ( OK well maybe there were one or two ) and would adhere to such recommendations...
Not a chance , of having the gear used, and i accept the responsibility to see things remain that way,,, until the time...... when I post a question...."how do you get rid of gear????"

jimmytavino

a3914
scr scs nscr

Are there any riggers that know of the proper way to dispose of old gear no longer airworthy other than simply dumping it in the local landfill? I don't like the idea of throwing it on the dropzone bonfire either due to the huge volumes of toxic fumes that creates when it's more than just a single canopy. This issue I'm sure has by now become a major one that our sport has yet to address. Nylon doesn't just rot like paper in the ground. There must be some easy way to recycle all that otherwise useable nylon.

Bury it some where in the Cascade Mountains around Woodland Washington? :P

Rig it up as a powerkite and go kitesurfing.

Or cut a canopy down into some weird cutaway-only canopy. (I'm just waiting for a low wind day to finish that project...)

This thread is getting derailed by us riggers who WANT to have closets full of junk!

If it is TSOed the sticker needs to be removed. If the sticker stays on then any master rigger could in theory repair and or modify the rig and jump it or sell it. This assumes that you would care to protect the said manufacturer of the equipment.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

As much as I would enjoy helping you annoy your wife that still doesn't solve the ultimate problem. And though I appreciate the offer to pay for shipping to you it just bugs me that MY gear may wind up in a landfill decomposing about as fast as nuclear waste. A suggestion for you -renovate your storage space -carpeting, paneling, nice lighting, special finished shelves -the perfect quandry to drive a wife batty! She will think maybe you're creating a nice new space she'll get to use eventually -maybe. Just be sure to review your life insurance policy in case she gets impatient.
-Clouddancer
Live like there's no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when no one is watching.

If it is TSOed the sticker needs to be removed. If the sticker stays on then any master rigger could in theory repair and or modify the rig and jump it or sell it. This assumes that you would care to protect the said manufacturer of the equipment.

Good point. The canopies are actually probably still jumpable, though I doubt any rigger would have the balls to try to sell a student a Stratostar or a custom modified Cloud.
-Clouddancer

Bury it some where in the Cascade Mountains around Woodland Washington? :P

Actually I like your idea best if I wind up having to bury it. Sounds like it might be a great place for skydivers to start having canopy funerals while having fun screwing with the Feds.B|
-Clouddancer

Cut the cells apart and use them as wind socks. We are almost through our first old canopy of winds socks.

Great idea actually! That still leaves a lot of nculear waste nylon to do something with though.
-Clouddancer

As for what the gear is, the canopies are a solid red Stratostar with white stablizers, crossported and shortened lines, probably still jumpable. the second main is a Cloud specially modified for traditional accuracy by a Golden Knights rigger with third brake line risers & collapsable slider, Gold with black stripes, also still probably jumpable. The round reserve is about 25+ years old, legally out of date by age. The container/harness rig is actually in good shape, I'll have to check what make, but something that hasn't been manufactured in years, sized for the Cloud. Between the two canopies I won about 30 local trophies in accuracy and scared the crap out of many doing demos into insanely small places.
-Clouddancer

If you are going to dispose of it, you may as well have some fun with it.
If it were me, I'd bury it in a field somewhere in the vicinity of Amboy, Washington.>:(

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The H/C might be a good one for those who need a big ass pack tray for a PC to put in it, just because it's old don't mean it's junk, but don't mean it's worth a small fortune as well.

Let us know what it is.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If you are going to dispose of it, you may as well have some fun with it.
If it were me, I'd bury it in a field somewhere in the vicinity of Amboy, Washington.>:(

"Re: [in2jumping] Riggers -how to dispose of old gear?

In Reply To
------------------------------------------------------------
Bury it some where in the Cascade Mountains around Woodland Washington?

Actually I like your idea best if I wind up having to bury it. Sounds like it might be a great place for skydivers to start having canopy funerals while having fun screwing with the Feds."

Stratostar; I like your signature quote BTW:ph34r:
-Clouddancer

As for what the gear is, the canopies are a solid red Stratostar with white stablizers, crossported and shortened lines, probably still jumpable. the second main is a Cloud specially modified for traditional accuracy by a Golden Knights rigger with third brake line risers & collapsable slider, Gold with black stripes, also still probably jumpable. The round reserve is about 25+ years old, legally out of date by age. The container/harness rig is actually in good shape, I'll have to check what make, but something that hasn't been manufactured in years, sized for the Cloud. Between the two canopies I won about 30 local trophies in accuracy and scared the crap out of many doing demos into insanely small places.

How do you figure a round reserve of 25+ years is "legally" out of date by age? To my knowledge the FAA does not set age limits on gear. Age has no bearing on gear that has been stored and maintained properly. I have a 40 year old Tri-Conical I jump with my 40 year old PC....it will pass any strength and porosity test you can give it....and it has.