jtval

IPODS SUCK

Where does this error message show up? iTunes or on the screen of the iPod?

Which iPod are you using?

Are you using Firewire or USB?

Are your cables ok? Do you have a different cable to use to connect to your PC?

Is your iPod firmware up to date? There was a recent firmware update released.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I thought this thread would be about that whole deal where if the battery dies you actually have to fuckin' send it to Apple to put in a new battery for like a hundred bucks! >:( And that the batteries die a LOT sooner than they should, on top of that!

Have they changed that about the design, yet?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/

07/08/05 - Apple has lowered the price of its battery replacement program from $99 to $59. Apple now also offers the replacement service via Apple Retail locations in addition to the original mail-in method.

I have a 3rd gen thats a little beat up but other than that it still works great (buying a new video ipod soon though). I love it, never had a problem synching it, but then i do use my iBook to synch it since it works so much better than with windows.

All batteries will die out, part of a portable electronics device.

edit: you can also do it yourself, http://www.ipodbattery.com/

For older iPods the best way to upgrade the battery is to do it yourself. A couple of months ago I bought a replacement battery for my 2nd gen iPod from Newer Technologies for $35. It took me about 10 minutes to take the iPod apart, remove the old battery and put in the new one. My battery life is great now...20+ hours if I just let it sit and play.

For the most part, I think Apple addressed the battery issues with the 3rd gen models.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

All batteries will die out, part of a portable electronics device.

Tell me about it. I have to spend like $50 or more now to replace the rechargeable in my ICOM IC-A23 navcom transceiver. I plan to get the pack that holds disposable AA batteries. Enough with this rechargeable shit. Can never count on it taking a charge and holding it. I'd rather be able to just slap in AAs I can buy at 95 out of 100 retail stores of any kind.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I think I've spotted the source of your trouble.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Switching to the Mac almost a year ago was the best thing my wife and I could of done. No more PC headaches....oh...and my ipod works with it EVERY time.:)

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

only problem i've had with my ipod (shuffle) is that it is so small and light that my cat stole it. no idea where the little freak put it either. oh well, wanted a nano anyway. :ph34r:
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

There are SO many MP3 players out there now that are just as good, if not better, than the IPODs. AND one third the price. But, IPODs are like fashion. I like to compare the IPOD to those furry moonboots that are all the rage right now. It doesn't matter how absolutley ridiculous they look, society says they are cool right now, so they are. And anyone who has a pair will argue to the days end why they ARE cool.

There are SO many MP3 players out there now that are just as good, if not better, than the IPODs. AND one third the price. But, IPODs are like fashion. I like to compare the IPOD to those furry moonboots that are all the rage right now. It doesn't matter how absolutley ridiculous they look, society says they are cool right now, so they are. And anyone who has a pair will argue to the days end why they ARE cool.

LMAO Chris. I knew there was a reason I don't have a pair of those boots. I guess I'm just NOT coolB|B|

Don't get Robby started on the IPOD battery. :S
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

I work next to a hair salon and the girl who runs it came in the other day wearing a HUGE pair of these boots with so much white fur on them I asked her where the rest of her bear outfit was.:D She actually got mad and told me that I knew nothing about fashion. I said, "I guess not.":S

But seriously, those boots looked so ridiculous! If she would have worn them 3 years ago, someone would have asked her the same thing and they would have been serious!

Fashion is weird. IPODS are fashion, plain and simple. I was in Circuit City the other day just as they got a new supply of the Nano. There was a mad rush of kids to the case. It was a little crazy. And right next to the IPODs there were plenty of other MP3 players in stock that are just as good as the IPOD for alot less money. Did the kids want anything to do with those? No way! Are you kiiding? One of THOSE?:D

Its amazing how some flash and marketing can override the practical aspects of a gizmo.

dont get me wrong, the interface on the ipod is da bomb, as well as all the toys you can use it with. But I have had iRiver, Muvo, and Rio MP3 Players. I actually prefer all of those over an ipod. ipods are expensive, bulky, and relatively heavy.

Hell, my latest non ipod was subsidized by a free shuffle I won. I didnt even crack the box, just put it directly on ebay and used the cash to buy a functionally better unit.

my only complain is that they havent come up with a universal connector/interface to enable MOST MP3 players to use add-ons similar to the ipods. I mean the boombox, etc are cool add ons that would be great for other players, but nobody is working together out there.

I love my flash based player. 1gb of music, and its small, light, and works for DAYS on a rechargeable AA. when MY rechargeable battery fails due to wear and tear, I go buy another for under $5.

Oh, and I dont have to carry a charger on long trips. if my battery dies, I buy another AA battery and I am good.

just another geek's .02
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

There are SO many MP3 players out there now that are just as good, if not better, than the IPODs. AND one third the price.

I bought an iPod after trying EXTREMELY hard not to. I hate trends.

I had read a bunch of reviews and decided on the Creative 40GB Zen. My only criteria were
(a) plays mp3's
(b) has a shitload of storage (I would prefer more than 100GB)
(c) has good sound quality (my primary use is in my car, plugged into stereo receiver through aux-input)
(d) is not an iPod

I thought the Creative would meet all those requirements, so I bought one from Best Buy (a store I refer to as "test buy" since you can return your shit if you don't like it... and even if you do like it you can return it and buy it from the internet at a better price :)). The Creative did indeed have a lot of storage, it played mp3's, and it was not an iPod. But when I hooked it into my car stereo using the aux input, the sound was NOTICEABLY inferior to me (on my cheap factory Corolla stereo speakers) to that of a CD, burned from the same 192kbps mp3 files (I used Tool's ÆNIMA as my test album since it has a lot of good dynamics and was the CD I happened to have in my car). And I do not pride myself on being an audiophile, but I could easily notice this difference. So, the Creative was getting returned.

I couldn't find anything else that met all my criteria, so I thought "what the hell" and bought a 60GB iPod from Test Buy. It played mp3's, the sound quality was identical to the CD tracks, and it definitely had a shitload of storage. In my journey comparing the 2 players, I also noticed that it was MUCH easier to use (interface-wise) than the Creative.

At this point, I could have returned the iPod and tried something else, but instead I realized that my fourth criteria (not an iPod) was silly and kept it since it was working great for me. I have no regrets, and I'll admit the thing is cute too, although I do still feel a bit too trendy carrying it around in public. :$

You know of something that would have been a better option for me? I do not remember exact numbers, but I am fairly sure I made a comparison and the iPod proved a better price, $/gig, than the Creative and anything else I could find out there. It was CERTAINLY not "three times" the price of the competition as you imply.

EDIT: I also really wanted an empeg Car but could not bring myself to spend so much money on something used, no longer made, that required so much effort to get to work right. Although it does sound damn cool, and somebody else needs to get their act together and release something new like that.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've had a few different digital music players and was rather skeptical about buying an iPod. But, now that I've had one for about 3 months, I'm sorry I didn't buy it earlier. It's super-simple to use, works like a charm, and has the easiest and most feature-rich user interface I've seen so far.

That said, because I'm a computer geek for a living, friends and acquaintances assume I can fix ANY computer related problem. So, I get iPod questions all the time. In almost every circumstance, people are having problems with digital rights management. This is to say, they've tried to synch their iPod with a computer other than their own and then return to their own computer. Or, they're trying to copy song files from one computer to another. The rules about digital music rights are confusing as hell and seem to be changing almost daily. Therefore, I immediately remove myself from those discussions with people.

I know it's a pain in the proverbial ass, but if you want to share some tunes with someone, burn a CD with the desired playlist and then import the tunes on your machine.

Note: my understanding (as of press time) is that songs purchased from iTunes can only be burned to CD 7 times before they are "locked" from further duplication. So, be judicious about who you give your songs to.

Peace out,

topher
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

I dont even have an ipod but after looking at them the past little bit I dont get where this "3 times the price" comes from. I mean, yeah I guess its possible that they are 3 times the price, but they usually have 10 times the storage. right now I can get a 4gig nano for 299 cdn, looking at the stores it was something like 129-179 for a 256 or 512mb in something comparable.

I found 1 or two that was close in storage without being too far off in price but nothing drastic. it helps that apple also has a fairly well developed computer to ipod interface.

I dont think ipods are fashion as much as those stupid boots are. sure they are trendy but they serve the purpose of a portable music player that is comprarable in price to the others in the market, and quite often have more storage.

I dont even have an ipod but after looking at them the past little bit I dont get where this "3 times the price" comes from. I mean, yeah I guess its possible that they are 3 times the price, but they usually have 10 times the storage.

Agreed, I'm still challenging somebody to come up with a better option than an iPod for the needs I listed in the post above.

I would love to get a 60GB mp3 player, better than the one I have, for $125.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

ipod sucks because of itunes. ditch itunes. go for anapod explorer, you'll find it far easier to use and not nearly as "closed" as the bull$hit program, "itunes".
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Note: my understanding (as of press time) is that songs purchased from iTunes can only be burned to CD 7 times before they are "locked" from further duplication. So, be judicious about who you give your songs to.

You can avoid this by just re-importing the song from the burned CD, and then burning CD's from that "copy."

Personally, I've only once wanted to burn more than a few copies of a purchased song (when I got married, we made CD's for all the guests with our wedding mix on it), so this hasn't been much of an issue for me.

I find it interesting that one of our most common gripes with iPod/iTunes is that it makes us follow the rules about duplicating stuff. That alone ought to tell us something.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com