jtval

IPODS SUCK

There are SO many MP3 players out there now that are just as good, if not better, than the IPODs. AND one third the price. But, IPODs are like fashion.

The iPod's are "in fashion" right now. But they also have the best user interface of any mp3 player I've looked at. I have a very large music library and the iPod makes it easy to find whatever I'm looking for in a matter of seconds. I found other mp3 player interfaces to be very clumsy in comparison. Also, I'd be interested to know what 60 gig player costs 1/3 the price of the ipod.

Skydive Radio

ey also have the best user interface of any mp3 player I've looked at. I have a very large music library and the iPod makes it easy to find whatever I'm looking for in a matter of seconds.

I feel the exact opposite for the same reason.
I have a Huge Collection of MP3`s (80+ gig) and a 4gig iPOD. Huge Pain in the ass everytime I want to change out some of the songs on the iPod.

I dont have time to Manage a "Library" in iTunes (or any other Ap for that matter). Last time I tried to do that I wasted over 20 Hours trying to play by Apples Rules and use iTunes to load my iPod. MAJOR Pain in the ass.

Anapod Explorer does make this easier but still not as good as other MP3 players that you simply plug in and they show up as a Drive. With those MP3 Players it is very simple to delete the songs I want take off the Player and copy over the songs I would like to add.

Other MAJOR short coming of the iPOD:
Battery is not easily replaceable.

Does not play WMA songs (I bought a BUNCH of song off Napster when I first got my iPod, Only to find out after the fact that they could not be played on an iPod (But work on every other MP3 player on the market) and could not be converted to MP3 format because they are legally purchased rights managed songs.

Cannot be used to move songs from one computer to another. (If I want to transfer some music from my Home PC to my Work PC.. Dont even think about it with an IPod (Easily done with other MP3 Players)

Overpriced and fewer features in general and iTunes completely SUCKS.

The last time I saw such an inferior product dominate the market like this was when VHS beat out the clearly superior BetaMax.

I had read a bunch of reviews and decided on the Creative 40GB Zen. My only criteria were
(a) plays mp3's
(b) has a shitload of storage (I would prefer more than 100GB)
(c) has good sound quality (my primary use is in my car, plugged into stereo receiver through aux-input)
(d) is not an iPod

I thought the Creative would meet all those requirements, so I bought one from Best Buy (a store I refer to as "test buy" since you can return your shit if you don't like it... and even if you do like it you can return it and buy it from the internet at a better price :)). The Creative did indeed have a lot of storage, it played mp3's, and it was not an iPod. But when I hooked it into my car stereo using the aux input, the sound was NOTICEABLY inferior to me (on my cheap factory Corolla stereo speakers) to that of a CD, burned from the same 192kbps mp3 files (I used Tool's ÆNIMA as my test album since it has a lot of good dynamics and was the CD I happened to have in my car). And I do not pride myself on being an audiophile, but I could easily notice this difference. So, the Creative was getting returned.

I couldn't find anything else that met all my criteria, so I thought "what the hell" and bought a 60GB iPod from Test Buy. It played mp3's, the sound quality was identical to the CD tracks, and it definitely had a shitload of storage. In my journey comparing the 2 players, I also noticed that it was MUCH easier to use (interface-wise) than the Creative.

Interesting.
I have a Zen Micro and my wife has an Ipod Mini. The display on the screen and the user interface is identical (Except the Zen has a vertical scroll and the Ipod has a wheel scroll).
The Zen has many positives in addition. FM tuner, external easily replaceable battery, much easier to trade music with any computer, WMP is much easier to use than Itunes, don't need to purchase a charger.
Cons: ear buds that come with the Zen are inferior. Fortunately this doesn't apply to me, because I can't fit any of the standard buds in my ears anyway.

In short: IPODS DO, IN FACT, SUCK

Note: my understanding (as of press time) is that songs purchased from iTunes can only be burned to CD 7 times before they are "locked" from further duplication. So, be judicious about who you give your songs to.

You can burn a song purchased from iTunes an unlimited number of times....however....

The restriction you mention is actually related to burning playlists. You can only burn the same playlist containing purchased songs 7 times.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I find it interesting that one of our most common gripes with iPod/iTunes is that it makes us follow the rules about duplicating stuff. That alone ought to tell us something.

I agree with you when you say that it's telling. The thing that drives me nuts is, the rules keep changing. And, they aren't exactly placed right in front of you. Only when you have problems and begin searching for answers do you find out that you're being stopped by digital rights management.

The truth is that I have no problems following the rules and paying for music. But, I just wish they (the industry) would be up front about what the rules are. It's a relatively youthful industry right now, so I understand that the legislation hasn't caught up with the rapid use of the technology.

Let's all hold our breath.

:|

Peace out,

topher
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

You can burn a song purchased from iTunes an unlimited number of times....however....

The restriction you mention is actually related to burning playlists. You can only burn the same playlist containing purchased songs 7 times.

Who the hell burns 1 song to a CD? Of course we're going to burn playlists.

Anyway, it goes back to the comments about following the rules. We're paying for music now, folks.

Peace out,

topher
"...there is a there out there..." - Tom Robbins

Interesting.
I have a Zen Micro and my wife has an Ipod Mini. The display on the screen and the user interface is identical (Except the Zen has a vertical scroll and the Ipod has a wheel scroll).
The Zen has many positives in addition. FM tuner, external easily replaceable battery, much easier to trade music with any computer, WMP is much easier to use than Itunes, don't need to purchase a charger.
Cons: ear buds that come with the Zen are inferior. Fortunately this doesn't apply to me, because I can't fit any of the standard buds in my ears anyway.

Obviously things like interface can be subjectively judged. However, there is one point in my post you did not comment on, and that one is the most important - the reason I returned my Creative Zen.

MP3 players exist for one reason - to play music. The Zen's audio was UNDENIABLY inferior when played in my car through a straight aux input. If I had to guess, I would say there is not enough internal amplification in the unit. I had to crank the stereo in my car way up to get the volume right, and then the sounds were all washed out. I cannot tell the difference between my iPod and a CD burned from the same mp3.

You cannot argue that an mp3 player which cannot output a clean sound is superior to one that can. Maybe for headphone usage only it's alright, but as I said my intended primary use was in the car. And between the 2 units I tried, the iPod ruled. I bet there are other ones out there that work too, but I could not afford to keep trying/returning different units to find out, and this is one thing (surprisingly) that is not covered in most online reviews. The Zen did not do the most basic thing I needed it to, so I returned it. The iPod did most everything I needed it to, so I kept it.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Interesting.

Obviously things like interface can be subjectively judged. However, there is one point in my post you did not comment on, and that one is the most important - the reason I returned my Creative Zen.

MP3 players exist for one reason - to play music. The Zen's audio was UNDENIABLY inferior when played in my car through a straight aux input. If I had to guess, I would say there is not enough internal amplification in the unit. I had to crank the stereo in my car way up to get the volume right, and then the sounds were all washed out. I cannot tell the difference between my iPod and a CD burned from the same mp3.

You cannot argue that an mp3 player which cannot output a clean sound is superior to one that can. Maybe for headphone usage only it's alright, but as I said my intended primary use was in the car. And between the 2 units I tried, the iPod ruled. I bet there are other ones out there that work too, but I could not afford to keep trying/returning different units to find out, and this is one thing (surprisingly) that is not covered in most online reviews. The Zen did not do the most basic thing I needed it to, so I returned it. The iPod did most everything I needed it to, so I kept it.

I noticed that exact problem with the Zen. The instructions say to set the volume on the device to a mid-level. It didn't work well at all. I just turned the volume on the Zen up. Problem solved. Can't tell the difference in sound quality between the Zen, Ipod, or a couple other players.
Maybe you had a bad cable? Any rate, glad you were able to return something that wasn't working for your needs for something that is.

I noticed that exact problem with the Zen. The instructions say to set the volume on the device to a mid-level. It didn't work well at all. I just turned the volume on the Zen up. Problem solved. Can't tell the difference in sound quality between the Zen, Ipod, or a couple other players.
Maybe you had a bad cable?

Mid-level makes no sense. I tried volume up all the way, and as I said, it wasn't enough volume. I had to crank the stereo up considerably higher to match the CD volume. Have you actually sat down with an iPod, a Zen, and a CD in a car, and switched back and forth between the 3 over the same segments of different tracks? I have. When listening to the Zen by itself, it sounds "ok", but when comparing it side by side with a CD the difference is obvious. I also hooked both players into an audio input on my home stereo system, and compared with each other and a CD... same result.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Maybe you had a bad cable?

Mid-level makes no sense. I tried volume up all the way, and as I said, it wasn't enough volume. I had to crank the stereo up considerably higher to match the CD volume. Have you actually sat down with an iPod, a Zen, and a CD in a car, and switched back and forth between the 3 over the same segments of different tracks? I have. When listening to the Zen by itself, it sounds "ok", but when comparing it side by side with a CD the difference is obvious. I also hooked both players into an audio input on my home stereo system, and compared with each other and a CD... same result.

Yeah, I have. Sounds like you were able to exchange a bad player.

Love my iPod. If you spend an hour searching the forums on the internet, you will learn that there are ways around all of the 'limitations' listed in this thread.

I don't blame the manufacturer for built-in controls. In fact, I commend them for making them so easy to circumvent! They did what they had to, legally, and then made it very easy to get around.

There are SO many MP3 players out there now that are just as good, if not better, than the IPODs. AND one third the price. But, IPODs are like fashion. I like to compare the IPOD to those furry moonboots that are all the rage right now. It doesn't matter how absolutley ridiculous they look, society says they are cool right now, so they are. And anyone who has a pair will argue to the days end why they ARE cool.

Our paper did a story on the IPOD accessory craze. Showed pictures of stuff like Gucci and Vuitton cases. The headline said, "Would you spend $300 to accessorize your IPOD?"

Made me want to frickin' throw up. Really. What kinda fuckin' moron would spend $300 on a designer case for an IPOD?
What, besides the goddamned NAME, could even make the case worth that?!

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"