windcatcher

Driving a standard vs. an automatic

Five years of driving a stick in heavy traffic made up my mind, I bought an automatic.

Same with me. I got so sick of traffic jams in a stick. Plus when i broke my ankle 2 years ago, driving was a nightmare. Would've been mucho easier with an automatic. When i bought my new car 2 months ago, i got an automatic and LOVE it. I will never again own a stick unless i buy a sportcar (which is highly unlikely since i hate rear wheel drive).

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I got my car with an Automatic transmission a couple of years ago for a couple of reasons. I got it when I was living in Orange COunty and working in Downtown LA. a 30 mile (each way) trip at rush hour is not good on a clutch. Automatics are better suited for heavy traffic and hilly areas, I think.

I also have a bum knee, and all of the shifting (LA Traffic) was causing it to get worse, so I got an automatic.

Now in live in a more relaxed traffic environment for which I would love a standard. I just love the control you get with onw.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I drive standard. For alot of reasons. you can downshift to brake and slow down better and save your brakes. you can have power on demand, and I feel more in control of my vehicle that way. However, on hills, they suck so if you are in San Francisco or White Rock B.C. Don't drive a stick. you have to be way experienced to handle that kind of driving with a stick. It is like a road course that is not for the weak. Depending on how you drive, you can actually conserve gas. If you don't lead foot it and rev the engine hard (like me) you can get better gas milage on open highway. My hubby drives like really mellow and he can get close to 500 miles a tank outta my truck open road. But me 400 miles to the tank thats it. ( I have an suv) Like I said there are pros and cons to it but if you can drive a stick you can drive both. Automatic is the easiest. Be safe be ready for anything that is how I drive.:)
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

One more thing you can do to learn is find an empty parking lot and shift from first to reverse and then back to first. It looks strange to onlookers, but you will get the hang of starting from a stop without stalling. (it's all aobut the friction point

I LOVE my standard. Every time I drive my boyfirends car (auto)it makes me angry because it's so pokey.

One more good thing about standards..... more control in the snow :)
And YES I do pride myself in being one of many women who drive a stick and drive it well. I will never go back to automatic no matter howmany traffic jams I'm stuck in.

I drive a manual. I've only had one automatic.

Once you drive a manual for awhile, it all becomes second nature, you don't even think about it.

True, however, I like having both manual and automatic options available. You never know when you might break your left leg or your right arm... knock on wood. ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Ever wondered why they dont race automatics :D

Because then the drivers would get too bored! DUH! :D:D:D

the F1 race cars are Automatics...

I thought they were sequential, sorta hybrid. You can shift up or down whenever you want, but no clutch. Guess I was wrong.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Me too.... automatics are for old people and women...

Or for skydivers with broken left legs, which is when & how I finally broke down and got an automatic. It was that or not drive for a couple months & I still had to "work".

I've taught my wife and both my kids to drive a stick. My kids are some of the only kids around who know how, most of their friends don't. I even teach their friends how. We have fun with it and go to a nearby church that has a HUGE parking lot for that first "rodeo" lesson. I tell 'em the "f word" is allowed and the first lesson will be something they can laugh about for the rest of their life. Then when they get the hang of driving around the lot from first to second, we go out for a short spin around town and they're good with it.

So do you want to drive the car, or would you rather the car drive you ? Kind of like "tandem or AFF ?".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Typically, a standard transmission has better fuel milage than an automatic.

I don't know how typical it is, but for at least some cars, the automatic version will be geared for lower engine rpm in high gear/lockup activated (highway cruising) compared to the manual transmission version. So gas mileage may not be better. I just remember reading the final drive ratios for each gear - std vs manual, I think for my old Civic.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Drive a standard, love it, would never go back to automatic. It is way better on gas mileage (and I feel like a race car driver :S)

That's my real reason for having bought a stick.

I even went so far as to get the Subaru STi titanium shifter knob for it! :D

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

you will get the hang of starting from a stop without stalling. (it's all aobut the friction point)

It is all about wearing out the clutch...:D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Once you drive a manual for awhile, it all becomes second nature, you don't even think about it.

True, however, I like having both manual and automatic options available. You never know when you might break your left leg or your right arm... knock on wood. ;)

Billy at WFFC 2002 I broke my RIGHT (ONLY) wrist and i'm a left arm amputee. I drove my ford truck home 4 hours away with a 5 speed manual and 3 bottles of Cornoa beer hanging from my neck (the beer vendors where giving out necklace bottle holders came in handy) glad I didn't get pulled over by cops!

You're fucking nuts, dude... But then again, you probably have had a lot of practice. :D:D Believe me guys, you'd be surprised what he can do. :ph34r:

Billy at WFFC 2002 I broke my RIGHT (ONLY) wrist and i'm a left arm amputee. I drove my ford truck home 4 hours away with a 5 speed manual and 3 bottles of Cornoa beer hanging from my neck (the beer vendors where giving out necklace bottle holders came in handy) glad I didn't get pulled over by cops!

I thought they were sequential, sorta hybrid. You can shift up or down whenever you want, but no clutch. Guess I was wrong.

Correct, at least they were last year. Same as the shift mentioned in the porsche earlier just much much much faster
Never try to eat more than you can lift

PPFF.... automatic is for granddad.
Hybid is for a granddad who thinks he is still in his 20's

Automatic:
+ Easy in traffic jam
+ Need one braincell less to operate
+ Kickdown in sportmode gives faster accelaration than manual
- Uses more fuel
- Hard to rent here in europe
- Low resell value and a lot af the second hand automatic cars have been demolished by granddads driving behaviour.

Manual:
- A little more workload
- Need more practice
+ Uses less fuel
+ Ability to accelerate very fuel economic
+ Manual is THE standard here in europe

Here in holland people do their driving test with manual cars because passing in a standard car allows you to drive both.
Passing in an automatic car only allows you to drive automatic cars (noted on driving licence)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

you people seem to think that standard is the same as manual.

it's not.

Hell, because I am bored, here is your google search for 'standard transmission.'

http://www.google.com/search?hs=wJf&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=standard+transmission&btnG=Search

And just for kicks here is the dictionary.

standard transmission:

Noun 1. - a transmission that is operated manually with a gear lever and a clutch pedal.

Well, that was fun.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I have the opposite problem people have with driving stick. I am UNCAPABLE of driving automatic. The most embarrasing moment was in a funeral procession for my grandmother and I pull out of the church in a rental, only to have my parents and my brother almost careen out of the vehicle because I hit the brakes at a light with both feet.

I kept doing it all the way to the graveyard.

But... I can smoke a cigarette, change lanes while also downshifting and sing to the radio at the same time. :P