SuFantasma

Packing Jobs - How Lazy Are You ?

Ok boys and girls.... I have 700-odd jumps and a dozen packing jobs to my name... I think packing is just another sport, and I don't want to participate on it...

What's your opinion?
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

At my small home DZ the only paid packers are the ones flat packing student rigs(I've about 200 of them to my name)....never really seen anyone propacking sport mains for money...people help each other out packing or have lost bets which result in packing...but not really any paid packers for the regulars(you want to jump....better be able to pack)

Now mind you...I am quite lazy...and the last year or so I will do almost anything to stay of the matt...when I do get to the DZ I spend my "help out" time running my outa shape ass off catching students...but I still have to pack my own....

Anyone want to pack my new canopy for me...that things a real bitch to get in the bag ;)....and as long as I get it in the bag and am sure the lines are straight...all is cool:)
cross over to the not posting drunk thread :)

I think not being able to pack proficiently is often an indicator that the jumper has very little interest in their gear. This isn't a sport where you can neglect your gear. Packing produces a familiarity with your equipment, the way it functions, and how it's wearing.

Pack for oyurself sometimes. It's important.

I can't afford to buy pack jobs very often, and because I pack for myself on everything but tandems, I can do it in about 6 minutes total. That is definately worth saving $6 bucks.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I think not being able to pack proficiently is often an indicator that the jumper has very little interest in their gear.

I see that could be the case, for me personally its fear ... Ive packed twice, jumped it myself once. It was the most feared deployment Ive had... It has nothing to do with a lack of interest, its just I would prefer to let the professional worry about it... although I am learning at a slower more comfortable pace in all aspects of this sport but not because of a lack of interest.

Plus rental gear includes the cost of a pack job where I jump B|
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Whats sad is I can tell someone how to do it by the steps... I just havent progressed in comfort enough to do it... hell I have even learned book wise about the packing of a reserve... but im a book dork and I am not risking a "walk through" while reading how to pack... :|

I'm willing to pack for myself if I have to,but, I have found a solution! My 16 yr old daughter learned how to pack last weekend, and yes, I jumped the pack job! VERY SCARY! One of the sweetest openings I've ever had! She has been practicing all week and tomorrow I'll jump it again.
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I had problems for about the first 20 or so packs and then it just kind of clicked... and I don't have any problems now.

I usually do it myself on occasion I'll pay someone to do it but not typically.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's still a little freaked out by it. I know what to do and have even jumped a couple of my pack jobs, but I still insist on having someone watch me while I do it!
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

99% of the time I pack my own rig. I just don't feel comfortable having other people do it.

I totally agree with JP about the importance of packing your own gear. (Or atleast being proficient at it.)

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's still a little freaked out by it. I know what to do and have even jumped a couple of my pack jobs, but I still insist on having someone watch me while I do it!

Always remember to ask as many questions as you need, the only dumb question is the one that you don't ask. So keep practicing, it is a skill that is worth learning.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I'm with the "what's a packer?" group.

Sounds good though. Going to florida on tuesday. Maybe I'll try to find one and bring it home with me. How do they work? Just insert money and your parachute magically gets packed while you relax? That's freaking awesome! :P

I hate packing but to me it's just part of the sport. I probably hired packers under 5 times in 2005 I would guess. Mostly due to lack of availability though...

Dave

i think i am weird - i am starting to quite like it, it has a zen like thing going on - i evern pack for some of my friends as well! Only exceptions are if i need to debrief and rebrief and haven't really got time, or occasionally boogies.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Ok boys and girls.... I have 700-odd jumps and a dozen packing jobs to my name... I think packing is just another sport, and I don't want to participate on it...

What's your opinion?

I view my gear as an intimate partner in my skydives, and as such it deserves my respect and, well, love. I feel that knowing how to pack it, and packing it every time is an intrinsic part of skydiving.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I pack for myself MOST of the time. Unless Im trying to make a load for some reason. Ususally it's cause Im on an R/W jump and I don't want the folks to have to scratch. But I want to be a really good packer so I only pay for a pack job when I have to. Additionally I want to know whats going on with my gear, packing yourself gives you the chance to inspect it.

"If a thousand people agree on a dumb ideal, it's STILL a dumb ideal."

Skully Bro #1 - POPS# 10440

I view my gear as an intimate partner in my skydives, and as such it deserves my respect and, well, love. I feel that knowing how to pack it, and packing it every time is an intrinsic part of skydiving.

-

I am one of about 6 videopeople at my club...
When the day begins you can be sure that we are allll really busy....:o:D
BUT... I won't use that as an excuse to have someone else pack for me....
( Though friends often DO offer...):)Instead,,, as I have done for decades,, I pack my own rig, shortly after I have landed....because...
It's the only part of the day.. where I can have some peace and quiet !!!!!! :|:o:SB| Plus I can check out the rig and canopy, untwist brake lines, assess the condition of my closing loop, etc...I agree with peacefuljeffery that there IS a certain bond and affinity between a jumper and his/her gear.. Take care of your gear while on the ground, and it will take care of you,,, while in the air..:ph34r:B|:)......ps. that's not to say that I think packers and those who utilize them are bad.....In fact many hardworking industrious people impress the hell outta me by the number of pack jobs which they can accomplish in a day.. More power to them, especially if the income helps them to make skydives.. Like wise if an experienced jumper can afford the cost of packers then go for it.. I just have always liked packing my own parachute.:)

I do what I want, and I never want to pack:P I think I packed twice:

Once for AFF.
The second time to win my hunny's heart---I believe I've posted this story before and he won for "Craziest thing ever done for love". He jumped my pack job. (It was a 90-sq ft eliptical):P I wondered why it was SO much easier to get in the bag than that damn 170 sq-footer they made me pack in AFF.

The way I see it: I jump for fun and packing is NO fun.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

He jumped my pack job. (It was a 90-sq ft eliptical)

A brave man indeed.... my first pack job was for a camera flyer named Gregor at Skydive Delmarva... I was sooooo edgy when he was gearing up.... and a few noticed.... I forget why but I was not able to see people under canopy for whatever reason.... next thing I hear from Lisa is "Did you hear Gregor had a cut-a-way?"

The look I gave her got her to inform me she was just kidding, but my stomach had dropped at her words....