littlejohn

jumping your own packjob's

I remember when i jumped my first pack job. it was at the farm...and i was a bit nervous, but it came out great, and since then i really don't like to let other people pack for me cuz i know how i like it. This is a phase that i am sure that i will grow out of when i start making more green stuff. I found that "practicing" packing helped alot, i would pack my rig once or twice a day so that i could do it faster when i got to the DZ, and would have more time to hang out with the people that i was there to hangout with.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

i remember jumping my first pack job a couple months ago. when it came to pull time i remember throwing the pilot chute and thinking to myself "well, this is it. i hope something comes out"

that's how i felt when i jumped my very first unsupervised round jump with my own pack job..... dzo showed me once how to pack it and then it;s been me alone since then........ atleast i know my reserve is packed right.. err, well i hope it is.... as long as my rigger is hoping i never have to use it i'm okay....lol..

I like jumping my own pack jobs...Saves me 5-7 bucks each time. Gots to love it.

Word! Skydiving has actually become somewhat affordable now that I pack my own shit.

I used to be TERRIFIED to pack for myself. After one MAJOR slammer I said "That's it - I pack for myself." Since then, openings have been awesome.

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

When i jumped my first pack job i didnt even remember that it was me that had packed it, and just to brag a lil, i thought to myself under canopy, "Man that was a really nice opening" i guess thats kinda good cause i wasnt worried about jumpiung my own pack job cause i didnt know it was, and now i dont mind jumping my own.

I jumped other peoples PJs for the first 10 or so jumps. From then on others have jumped mine. I have jumped other peoples PJs since, but not many. My last 2 mals were my reserve PJs thats scary.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

The first time I jumped my own packjob, I forgot to turn on my CYPRES.

The first time I jumped my daughter's packjob, I scratched and let my ex-boyfriend jump the rig.

He lived. But it was scary.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

It's a parachute. It wants to open. Don't be a pussy when it comes to packing. Packing is not a big deal. Just do it.

Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve!!!! Oh Canada! Oh Canada!!!:) Miss you! How's it going with your transition?
Oh yeah..back on topic...you know how I feel about packing:P...when I do it myself, it hurts.

It was considerably more scary for me the first time someone else was jumping one of my pack jobs. It was a SL student, and I had my head in the door to see it open.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

just did jump two this past weekend. and until then i've been terrified to jump my packjob. i've been packing for two years. no worries now. it was beautiful

Years back I was at the DZ and a relatively new jumper had just bought brand new gear. He asked me to have a look at it and I found and corrected a minor rigging problem on the main. No big deal.

I packed it for him and congratulated him on his beautiful new gear but he was terrified of being the first one to jump it, so he offered to pay my slot if I would do him a huge favor by test jumping it.

I really wanted him to jump it but then again, this was some really nice gear and I wanted to check it out!

In the end, I did do the "huge favor" for him and jumped it. It was awesome gear and he actually thanked me quite a bit for "test jumping" it.

I told him no problem and again congratulated him on his new gear and actually made it back to the rigging loft before I started laughing about the whole thing. It had reminded me of the fears I had experienced as a low timer.

Walt

just did jump two this past weekend. and until then i've been terrified to jump my packjob. i've been packing for two years. no worries now. it was beautiful

BTW, if you want to experience pack job anxiety, try packing either a skydiving reserve or a main that's going to be used for someone's first BASE jump.

I was on an Otter load one time to make an intentional cutaway and use a reserve I had packed. Many on the load obviously thought I was screwed up for doing an intentional chop and asked me why I would do such a stupid thing.

My reply was simple.

"Who do you want packing your reserve--someone who is willing to jump his own work or someone who is not?"

They changed their views after that.

Walt