D8055

Lost Stolen Triathlon - Maybe

while checking into a used Triathlon offered on E-bay...

I made an inquiry about the size of the canopy, since it wasn't listed. I got a response tonight. The girl (I think) said... "she didn't know, I found it all tangled up and just untangled it"

Sounds like she is trying to sell a canopy someone cut-a-way... from her listing, its obvious she doesn't know anything about the sport.

Her location is given as INDIANA. I'm trying to squeeze some more info out of her... but, don't know if I'll get it.

Her e-mail address and the URL for th eE-bay auction are below. Hopefully word can get out in Indiana before this canopy dissapears.

[email protected]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130193759441&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

Blue Skies,

Mike

This is a response I got when I asked:
What size is it? How many jumps? Do you have a serial #?

herethe date on it march 26 1996 / model triathlon 2.03/jumper weight113kgs deployment speed 130 knots i found it in a corn feild it has a coulple of faded spots on it i thought i might try parrasale but untangling it sucks and dont know what im doing it dont have any tears and it seems to be in decent shape beside the faded spots i dont sky dive an im tired of having somthing i wont use i would like to just get rid of it sold as is and it has the handels on it an nothings cut

Looks like this was cut-away...
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

The other risk is sunlight damage.

If she found it all tangled ... after a cutaway .. it may have laid out in the sunlight for a few weeks, rendering it useless.

we had a canopy hanging in a tree for 1 full year and recovered it finally then send it to pd the did an inspection and jump it right away. !!! it doesnt have to be USELESS
toet toet food driver

This is a response I got when I asked:
What size is it? How many jumps? Do you have a serial #?

herethe date on it march 26 1996 / model triathlon 2.03/jumper weight113kgs deployment speed 130 knots i found it in a corn feild it has a coulple of faded spots on it i thought i might try parrasale but untangling it sucks and dont know what im doing it dont have any tears and it seems to be in decent shape beside the faded spots i dont sky dive an im tired of having somthing i wont use i would like to just get rid of it sold as is and it has the handels on it an nothings cut

Looks like this was cut-away...

Man that really bothers me. Let's just make some money off of the thing instead of making an attempt to find the rightful owner.
Less talking, more flying.

If it was mine I'd have offered a reward for it...

thats a good idea....ps love your sig line!!!!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Man that really bothers me. Let's just make some money off of the thing instead of making an attempt to find the rightful owner.

YOU may know where to look. This person had no idea. Put yourself in their shoes, and realize it was an honest mistake.

I would like to think that if I (as a whuffo) found some equipment I might make an effort to google a parachute club in my area, or maybe check the yellow pages. I have asked a couple non-skydiver friends of mine (who frankly don't give 2 shits about skydiving, nor skydivers) what they would do in this situation. So far 100% of the answers have been to search for a parachute or skydiving club in their area. I highly doubt that the canopy was found far from an airport to boot.

I'm trying to think of an unrelated good that would make a good comparison to this, but I'm drawing blanks at the moment. I'll get back to you on that.

-Blue ones,
Alex

Edit: I'm not insinuating that she is a bad person or a sinner or a satanic canopy stealing heathen, what I am saying is that the sensible thing to do would have been to try to find a club or commercial DZ in her area, rather than pawning it off no questions asked. I suppose she could have, but from what she said to kaerodyne, I simply don't get that impression.
Less talking, more flying.

that would make a good comparison to this...

Finding an old tire on the highway? ;)

Hey, if someone doesn't 'know' where it came from, just found it knotted up...I can see thinking someone may have trashed it.
Probably an honest mistake...give 'em a jump for returning it! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks everybody for getting involved with this...
I sent this info to Bob in Greensberg first... sounds like maybe he ran it on his end... not sure, though, noone ever got back to me directly... And the canopy was retrieved...
Anyway, Happy ending! If you ever lose any gear... Check E-bay asap!

Blue Skies to all!

Mike