peacefuljeffrey

How do you pronounce "Titanium"?

nucular, jees you colonials...
:D

Only the colonial-in-chief pronounces it that way.

not true. usually, the same people who say "nucular" are the same ones who say "ambleeance". :D
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

nucular, jees you colonials...
:D

Only the colonial-in-chief pronounces it that way.

not true. usually, the same people who say "nucular" and the same ones who say "ambleeance". :D

And they borrow books from the liberry, right?

Oh, wait, they don't read. :D

I got to thinking, if the word is based on "Titan," then it should be pronounced "Tie-TAN-ium," but it is most common to hear the other pronunciation.

If the word is based on "Titan", shouldn't the correct pronunciation be "TI-tan-EYUM"? :S:D

I pronounce it 'ti-TAN-eyum'

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Plenty of words exhibit a similar shift in pronunciation with the addition of new syllables.

Take the word photo, photograph, photography, photographic. Notice the change in the vowels? especially the a and the second o.

The fact that people pronounce it differently does not imply stupidity... just dialectal and idiolectal differences... So let's not get all high and mighty about how people who pronounce things differently are stupid.

Except for George W. Bush.

C'mon, nukyular?

:P;):)

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Not Ti...I meant Al ;)

"The American Charles Martin Hall of Oberlin, OH applied for a patent (400655) in 1886 for an electrolytic process to extract aluminium..."

...And by the way, we always use an Aluminum pan to cook Chicken Soup!:ph34r:

You are aware that Aliminium is also a stable element:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Plenty of words exhibit a similar shift in pronunciation with the addition of new syllables.

Take the word photo, photograph, photography, photographic. Notice the change in the vowels? especially the a and the second o.

Did you get that from Marilyn Vos Savant in the Para\de magazine that comes with your Sunday newspaper? :P

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

The fact that people pronounce it differently does not imply stupidity... just dialectal and idiolectal differences... So let's not get all high and mighty about how people who pronounce things differently are stupid.

Except for George W. Bush.

C'mon, nukyular?

:P;):)

well yeah... there's a difference between pronouncing things differently and pronouncing them in ways that make no sense from the letters in the words... yeah?:P

so what did you vote for titanium, then?:D

-Karen

Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Did you get that from Marilyn Vos Savant in the Para\de magazine that comes with your Sunday newspaper? :P

-

Maybe from her college studies... Karen's studying linguistics (and related topics ... I've probably oversimplified the classes she's taking) right now. :P

Yeah, I read parade.. haha.:S

No actually, I'm majoring in Speech and Hearing Sciences. Linguistics is a key aspect of the field. Our teachers stress that the different dialects of English (yes, NorthEastern accents, Southern accents, etc. are considered dialects) are simply that, different dialects.

I voted for ti-tay-nium.

Edited to add: Actually, I have a test on this stuff tomorrow. We get to translate Standard American English (mid-west) into a Southern Accent, a Northern accent, African American Vernacular, and into a disordered child's speech. Fun stuff I tell you!!

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Yeah, I read parade.. haha.:S

No actually, I'm majoring in Speech and Hearing Sciences. Linguistics is a key aspect of the field. Our teachers stress that the different dialects of English (yes, NorthEastern accents, Southern accents, etc. are considered dialects) are simply that, different dialects.

Comedian David Cross (you know him as Tobias, the balding dude on "Arrested Development") had some funny things to say in his stand-up routine, about American "dialects."

He talks about the faggy-sounding "gay voice" (and does examples), and says that while not all gay men sound that way, ONLY gay men sound that way. :D

Then he goes on about the "hick" voice, the "drawl" we all think of when we think of "country folk." He illustrates how you NEVER hear a guy from Texas sound like a guy from Brooklyn, but all over the country, hicks sound like hicks. You really need to hear the routine to get the full effect, so I recommend you avail yourself of his CDs.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"