RkyMtnHigh

Definition of a True Friend

I don't think I can describe it. It's more of a feeling than any actions. I guess a true friend is someone that tells you the truth, not what you want to hear.

Even after an argument or disagreement they forgive you and you forgive them and you learn from each others mistakes.

True friendship will last forever if both sides give unconditionally and ask for nothing in return.

I consider myself lucky to have several true friends.:)

Nice. Thanks.
BTW...ducky called today...and sent a pic of your p'cola sunset..I cried because I'm so homesick..I didn't see this coming but I'm really homesick

A true friend is someone who takes joy in your successes,
accepts you for yourself without trying to "fix" you, and will aide you when things aren't going well.

Thanks! HT...you've been ALL of that! Thanks for hanging in there with me for all this time...you are a true friend for sure. I only hope that one day I can repay you for all you've done for me.

I'm sooo being harrassed by you assholes...:D Don and Chris ...you have hell to pay~:D:P

Please see who i posted to ..[:/]
See ya in Dublin! Gonna be .. BIG !!! B|

You KNOW I love you and jeans...was that ever in question?:ph34r:;) I'll make it up to you two in a few weeks:)

Deal. See ya here.
Hope to jump with ya! :)Hell ! we might get Bob in on it !! :D:D
I am NOT being loud.
I'm being enthusiastic!

***and sent a pic of your p'cola sunset..I cried because I'm so homesick..I didn't see this coming but I'm really homesick

This weekend is going to be gorgeous and we will be making sunset beach jumps into the Flora-Bama on Saturday and then next Saturday night we are making night jumps into the P'Cola Beach under a full moon.Get you butt over here, we miss you!:)

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

***Hope to jump with ya!
Hell ! we might get Bob in on it !!

Manifest please!:)

RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

My true friends are the people who don't want me for anything other than my company and vice versa. They're the people that respect others in my life and the choices that I make, even if they disagree. They're the ones I have the deepest conversations with, and they're the ones that understand me the best. They know my best and worst sides, and they still love me anyways. I've learned so much from some of the conversations I've had with my friends, and it's cool to see everyone grow in their own way.

I like this description.

a true friend i havent seen in 10 years.. and will still take me in when i show up soaked and tired on his doorstep...

contact isnt a requirement between true friends.. time and distance are irrelevant...

accepts you for yourself without trying to "fix" you, and will aide you when things aren't going well.

I don't know you, but that post is the last one I expected from someone I consider one of the funniest on this site. :S;)

That first one you mention hadn't worked its way into the front of my brain yet, but it's absolutely true. With a true friend, the better something is that happens to you, the happier they'll be for you (as opposed to the more jealous they'll be of you).

I think a true friend can try to fix you. If my best friend developed a personality problem (e.g. depression, addiction problem, inability to control emotion, etc), I'd try to help fix it. It wouldn't make him any less my friend unless the actions associated with the problem crossed certain lines, but I'd still try to help correct it.

The aid portion is a given. If they're only around during the good times, when you don't need help, they're not a friend.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I really want to know what the definition of a true friend is.

It's an intial connection between two people that leads to life long bonding. It's not about what they'd do for you, it's about what they mean to you. Constant contact matters way less than the certainty of the connection... and the fact that they'll always be there. You won't find it often, so cherish it when you do.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

With a true friend, the better something is that happens to you, the happier they'll be for you (as opposed to the more jealous they'll be of you).

Kids teach you that. Your happiness is watching them laugh, play, and be successful. The hardest part is letting them define what is their "success".

I think a true friend can try to fix you.

I have been there. I care, I try. If they don't want that change, I accept them without whatever I thought would be an improvement. (I may just not be right :o)

I still hate it when the lack of the change still causes them pain, but that is their choice. Unfortunately, it causes me pain to watch sometimes. :(

People who are better than me have accepted my faults and are gracious enough to forgive me when I err.

I have not seen my best friend in over 8 years. We talk rarely, and our lives are very different. However, I love her very much and believe she feels the same. If she needed me, I would be there. If I needed her, she would be here. She is my true friend. I can find no other way to describe it... One or two people enter your heart and never leave.

Blue Skies

Erik

As opposed to a fake friend? ;)

For me, there are friends, and there are friendly acquaintances. The first list ain't very long, and I can't really tell you what the criteria are for getting on it.

It ain't the longevity of the relationship. I have a good friend I've known less than a year. But she's there for me, and has proven how much so just when I needed it, without me indicating I needed it.

It ain't the help they give. I have a good friend who hasn't ever done much more for me than give me some spare stuff she didn't need when I was needing to start over in the "possessions" category. But I know she loves me and vice versa.

It ain't the frequency of contact. I have a good friend who I've only spent maybe a couple days with in my life, and maybe talked to on the phone a half dozen times. One of those conversations entailed me calling him a few years ago, crying about some bad news I'd gotten when he didn't even know the situation. I could have called someone who knew me more personally, but he was the one who I knew would comfort me.

It ain't commonality. I've got a good friend who I have almost nothing in common with. Age, fitness, interests, thoughts on politics, religion, relationships, etc...those mean nothing. If I have a question about myself, I can ask him and he'll give me a straight and usually accurate assessment, brutal or not.

Don't get me wrong, those kinds of things help. My best friend and I have been close for quite some time, have lots in common, talk frequently, and I know he'd do anything within his power for me (provided it was important...otherwise he's a lazy undependable fucker! ;)). But they're not what *makes* the friendship. A good friendship is first and foremost about trust, honesty, love, and just fundamentally looking out for each other's best interests, in good times and bad. It's a lot like romantic love, just without the sexuality (usually, but the three guys I just mentioned better not be getting any ideas!!!). :D

Yes, if it's not perfectly obvious, I'm somewhat impaired tonight. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

As someone who has recently (probably) lost someone she thought was a true friend... I can say that based on that experience I have only one dealbreaker criteria: A true friend is someone who can grow with you and learn to respect and embrace your growth.

Yep.

as they say....

a friend will help you move... a true freind will help you move the boddies...

subsitute true for best or good depending on the situation......

A true friend dose'nt stab you in the back when they hear something about you that they didn't know befor instead they defend your honor and then ask you about it. A true friend takes time out of there day to have a lot of your other friends sign a very memorable picture of a formation dive that you were on and then spends a afternoon with you trying to make you feel better because your in a honor farm for the state. A true friend pays for a repack when you need it the most and doen't want you to pay him back. a true friend doesn't get upset because you took out a large formation but understands that these things happen - To Everybody - sometime or another. A true friend can call you an asshole to you face and you don't mind because there is a shread of truth to it.
These things happened to me and they made me believe that I was dealing with a true friend :)

examples of TRUE friends

1 my wife

2 my sgt. from nam that would share the last cold beer ,sun through rifle fire to lay next to you so both could be scared together

3 my lt. from nam that would allow this kid to do stupid things..look the outher way.pretent not to notice..allow me to sleep when we were all equally tired
this same lt. I ended up holding as he died in my arms and cried like a baby

combat make true friends even in death

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

to me, a true friend is one that i can confide in, knowing full well that whatever i said will NOT be repeated to anyone. A true friend is one who is there for me, whenever i need them, day or night, in the middle of a date of their dreams, every time necessary. A true friend is one that wants to keep posted on your life, wants to be included in your life, and in return you want to be part of theirs. A true friend is a friend that is hard to come by, but when you do find them, they're there forever, never judging you, always trying to help guide you to what you have to do.

CReW SKies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I think you're close. I think there are several things a true friend does:

1) A true friend makes happy moments twice as happy;
2) A true makes makes sorrowful moments less sorrowful;
3) A true friend knows when you need the distance - he/she understands that sometimes you just are not available;
4) A true friend will tell you your strengths and weaknesses;
5) A true friend will put you above him/herself;
6) A true friend may not always be your best friend, but will be your friend forever.

It's strange - I ask myself how many friends I have that meet that criteria - probably 3 or 4.

I then asked myself, "For how many people have I met those factors?" I have to answer, "Not enough." I've let people down lately. I've been caught up in so much. Hopefully, my true friends understand.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

***I then asked myself, "For how many people have I met those factors?" I have to answer, "Not enough." I've let people down lately. I've been caught up in so much. Hopefully, my true friends understand

This hits very close to home and I feel the same way.

someone who allows you to be yourself, no matter how crazy or weird you happen to be at any one moment.

someone who is really there for you, espcially when it is not convenient or easy. (funerals, grad school rejections, getting dumped...stuff like that)

generous in spirit.