droquette

I was a hero on friday.. at least thats what they say....

Well, since I never post anything here I figured now was the right time... I had this incredible experience on Friday and here goes..
I am driving down the road and stop at a traffic light. There are cars in the lane to my right and a gas station next to those cars. A car comes out of the gas station and crashes into two cars right next to mine. Mind you those two cars were stopped waiting for the light to change. So I hear this loud crunch and look to my right and see this car that ended up almost head on with the car directly next to me.. I am in shock because the crash was quite hard. All I could think of was why did this guy coming out of a gas station crash into TWO stopped cars. So I look at the guy driving and he is shaking his hands. Initially this leads me to believe the guy is A) furious or B) trying to escape from whatever it is that he did. So I am about to go because the light changed but I hear burning tires and start seeing the smoke. The guy who crashed the two cars was burning out his tires into the car that was head on. it was quite a sight!!
At this point I am pretty freaked cause this guy is being a total lunatic. I give the driver one more quick glance before I drop the clutch on my car and take off. When I saw his face, he was foaming at the mouth and convulsing violently. My brain instantly registered... Oh S#*^ he is having an epileptic seizure!!! So I jump out of my car and leave it running in the middle of the road; and run to this car that is doing a huge burnout at this point, lots of noise and smoke at that point. I run to the passenger side of the car and try the doors while watching the driver convulsing hardcore... the doors are both locked. I jump over the hood of the car... The smoke is getting thick.. There are about 20 people at this point watching,... watching... watching... So i scream at them to call 911 I try the driver’s side doors and they are all locked... I am thinking we need to get this car stopped NOW before this gets any worse... the car is completely engulfed in smoke and pieces of the tire are starting to come off. So I see a rock about the size of a baseball and throw it at the rear drivers side window,... it makes a mark but no penetration. I then kick the window twice... Rubber soled shoes suck!! That did nothing... So I see a car rim filled with cement.. The gas station must have used this as a weight for something or other. I lift this thing up; and its pretty heavy, I then threw it through the rear window which easily shattered.
Now the window is open, the smoke is billowing, the guy is convulsing, the people are watching.. I unlock the drivers door via the shattered window and open the door. Drool everywhere the guy is moving his hands uncontrollably. I looked him in the eyes and he looked like an average 25-30 year old guy with green eyes and light skin... Similar to me.. and he had a totally blank stare this was very very strange. His foot was bouncing up and down on the accelerator which is what was causing the burn out. I grabbed his leg and forcefully moved it to the brake pedal instead of the gas. I then proceeded to put the car in park. At this point an enormous cloud of tire smoke rose from the front of the car and I had to back away from the car for a few seconds so I could breathe.
At this point I confirmed that one of the onlookers had called 911 and they told me they had. I then move towards the car and convulsing driver, I removed his seatbelt, put his chair back and tilted his head to the side to get some of the drool out; I was trying to avoid letting him choke on his own saliva. This was about the point where somebody FINALLY came to help me keep this guy safe. He was moving around so much during his convulsions we were worried he would hit his head on the side of the car. So I explained to the guy helping me to watch this guy but not to be forceful with him, the convulsions had to continue and we had to let them run their course. As I turned around the convulsions stopped and one of the onlookers screamed that the guy died.. I freaked out and imediatly went to check the guys pulse. He was completely still but his eyes were open and there was still lots of drool coming out of his mouth. He had a pulse and was breathing, shortly thereafter he started convulsing again I explained again we must wait and we need an ambulance ASAP.
So now I am there holding the guy with the man who came to help and I realize my car is blocking all the traffic so I go to move my car since the situation is under control I was scared somebody would just hop in my ride and take off since it was still running. The Guy in the car behind me did not seem very happy, he was honking the horn and making gestures. I just stopped, looked him in the eye and pointed to the crashed cars; he instantly changed his demeanor and just chilled out. So I go to move my car and a car comes right in front of me and almost crashes into me. It was 4 police agents (in suits). We all got out of the cars at the same time, they asked what happened and I explained the guy is having seizures, crashed, continued stepping on the gas and that I had to break the window to stop the car. The cop said it was ok... no good job or anything just "sta bien". I told them the ambulance was on its way but if they could call and hurry things up it would be best. I saw the situation was now under control, the authorities had arrived and I really didn’t feel like sticking around so I asked the cop if I could go; he thought about it and said ok. He didn’t even ask for my info. I decided to give one of my business cards to one of the people that had been hit by this guy and said if they needed me regarding the incident I could be reached there. I jumped in my car and took off...
I was shaking in my car from the incredible adrenaline rush. I had just taken a First Aid course 2 weeks prior to this and got to use some of what they taught me.
Later that day, 3am.... ( i guess that’s the next day...) I got a flat tire on the highway and had to change it while cars sped by.. I was far more scared doing that and I wondered why something like that happened to me after being a good Samaritan... I guess that’s just the way life is though.
I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
What most bothered me were the 30 people standing there just watching, nobody offered to help.. other than to call 911.
SO if anybody sees me messed up and I need a hand please help me because I would and will help you if you ever need it.

Blue skies,

Dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

Great job and great story Danny.

What most bothered me were the 30 people standing there just watching, nobody offered to help.. other than to call 911.

Welcome to life. People often suck.

SO if anybody sees me messed up and I need a hand please help me because I would and will help you if you ever need it.

I'll think about it. :P
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

It's sad to say but we live in a world of selfishness. Some only think of themselves, yet there are some who do want to help another in need but don't in fear they could get sued if they hurt the person they tried to help. You helped someone in need and while doing so put yourself at risk of bodily injury without thinking of that risk. That is what makes a true hero is someone like yourself who is willing to risk life and limb to help another in need.

You had a flat later and nobody stopped to lend a hand, again sad but your act hasn't gone unnoticed the Lord will bless you for your kind act.

Safe Docks,
Scott

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Proud of u my friend...
I know how u felt after, Ive saved the life of 2 people in the ocean and 1 stray dog in a river(lol), 3 different stories...and it feels goood!!!!

Next time try to remember to take your car keys, u were lucky it was there when u finished. U know how it is around here....Expect some good karma coming your way.

Now Ill think about your superhero name :P
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

Nicely done! B|

Sometimes it does make you wonder why 30 other on-lookers did nothing, but not everyone has the mindset to function in critical situations - you do! Kudos!!! :)
It does suck that no-one bothered to help you with a flat tire~ :S Your selfless deed will bless you when you least expect it.

It's nice to know that there are people out there like you. THANKS!!!!

God speed!!! g

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Thank you, Danny. You really are a hero. When one reaches past his comfort zone and helps anyone, anytime, and especially with such stress as this accident created, all I can do is sit back and admire...and hope that, should circumstances present themselves in my life, that I would have equal courage and calm mind, and get the job done like you did.

Very, very well done...and you are indeed a hero. When we meet, the beer's on me.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Batman, thy name is Dan! :P

Great job, man!

About the 30 dumbstruck slackjaws... yeah, the vast majority of people are uncaring, ill-equipped numbnuts, and that's what makes people like you stand out. I'd hope that if you were the unfortunate one having the seizure, someone like you would be around...

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Well done for getting involved and making a difference.

Regarding the onlookers, I really think that most people are basically good-hearted and would like to have been able to do what you did - but most people don't cope well in a crisis.