weegegirl

Extended European Vacations

Who's done it? Let me hear some experiences... good and bad. Any recommendations on how to travel, where to stay, best sites to see, etc?

I'm about to be between contracts and it's about time I take a nice long vacation. I'm thinking a month would be good.

Who's done it? Let me hear some experiences... good and bad. Any recommendations on how to travel, where to stay, best sites to see, etc?

I'm about to be between contracts and it's about time I take a nice long vacation. I'm thinking a month would be good.

Lucky you B|

I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices this, but why do people from the western side of the atlantic think that they can see the whole of europe in only a few weeks while living in a coach? It takes me a whole week just to get the feel for a single town and a month to find the good bars, restaurants and the like.

My advice would be to pick a single country and really get to know it. As to which country, thats your choice . . . :)
Gavin

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

I did 2 weeks in Europe last year. I started out in Enland for a few days and used their train system to get around to different cities. Then we took the chunnel to Paris for a few days and then rented a car to drive through the French countryside and go over to Germany for a week. We were intent on going to the champagne caves and Reisling area and it was aboslutely beautiful. It was a great trip mixing city things with country things.

My best advice is to get the Rick Steves' travel guides for the areas you are interested in going to. His books are the best! We used it for hotel and restaurant recommendations and also followed his tours and suggestions of what to see if you are only in a town for a couple of days. He also sells a cool clothesline that doesn't require clips and concentracted travel wash on his website that we used to wash clothes in the sink at the hotels.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Never did I say I thought I could see all of Europe in a few weeks... from a coach. LOL. That would be idiotic.

I have lived in London, been to France, Amsterdam, Scottland (thought I don't remember that one), etc.... I will be picking places I haven't been before. I love to travel. Please don't make assumptions or read into something that is not there. Thanks. ;)

I did the train and bicycle thing for 6-7 weeks a number of years ago in Belgium, Great Britain, and France, and 2 weeks in London just a couple of years ago.

2 weeks isn't bad for London or Paris. You won't by any means cover everything, but it's enough time to go to any museums you want to, track down the locations in books you've read, go on a couple of guided walking tours (inexpensive and great), and see the majority of the "significant" sights.

You can also then go to the same pub a number of nights in a row to get to know some people, or do something similar; go to the same place for lunch and talk to someone, whatever.

I camped a lot and stayed in hostels and low end hotels. I paid about 13 pounds a night in London a couple of years ago, but, well, I just about got my money's worth :P. Rooms at that price level are communal, and the bathroom is down the hall. Always take the tube/metro/bus/boat -- whatever normal people take.

Research ahead of time, and decide what you like. I went to London, York, Bath, Canterbury, across Scotland, and Cambridge when I was in England for about 3 1/2 weeks. Brugges in Belgium, Paris, the Mediterranean coast, Brittany, Mt. St. Michel and Versailles in France. I had a fabulous time.

They won't be anything like you, but it's their world, not yours.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Never did I say I thought I could see all of Europe in a few weeks... from a coach. LOL. That would be idiotic.

I have lived in London, been to France, Amsterdam, Scottland (thought I don't remember that one), etc.... I will be picking places I haven't been before. I love to travel. Please don't make assumptions or read into something that is not there. Thanks. ;)

Lol! My apologies, its just that I have run into a few people who have done just that and your post sounded like you were going to attempt the same :)
My personal favorite bits of europe involve mountains and forest as I'm not much of a city boy - I have enough of that working.

I would recommend re-visiting Scotland, particularly the highlands at some point, just remember to pack for wet/cold/warm/dry as all of those can happen in one day. The english Lake District like-wise.

If you want warmer weather, look into visiting Spain. Easter is a really big celebration there, so travel and accom can be pricey, but Seville and southern Spain will be gorgeous at this time.

That would be my choice given the time and money :)
Gavin

PS ... and there are dropzones ;)

Gavin

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. If you don't take it out and use it, its going to rust.

Why not a coach? You can see 17 countries in 14 days!! Just think of how much you'll really absorb :D

More seriously, what do you mean by "extended"? I've travelled relatively extensively through non-Latin Europe (germany, austria, switzerland, benelux, and eastern europe)... is that what you might be interested in?
If you're interested in the countries I've been to (spain in addition to trhe ones listed above), post here or PM me... imo just about every country has something really worth seeing, but it also depends what kind of travelling you do and what kind of sights you like to see...

If you only have a few weeks I would recommend concentrating on one, max 2 countries, as it doesn't sound like you're the been-there-done-that-got-the-postcard type. i'm a big fan of rail travel in europe. if you're travelling with someone pensiones/b&bs are nice cos you get to meet the locals, or youth hostels are good to hook up with people if you're travelling alone (even if you're not all that youthful - i have no idea how old you are;))
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Are you planning on jumping or just travelling? What kind of things interest you? Give us some more clues what kind of trip you're wanting to do and I'm sure you'll get more relevant suggestions.

If I had to choose somewhere to recommend.. Czech Republic would be it. Prague is really really beautiful, enough there to see to easily fill a week or two. Might be a bit cold at this time of the year but you'll avoid the main tourist season. It's still cheap compared to other places in Europe but nowhere near as cheap as the rest of Czech Republic. A few hours away by bus is KarlovyVary which is another very pretty place and less of a tourist trap. Great beer, fantasic history and old buildings, food can be a bit so-so but hey you can't have it all! :)
Not sure what kind of places you are hoping to stay in - I was hotelling when I was there and I would recommend Elf hostel - it was a nice enough place to stay in Prague if you're on a budget.

It's easy enough to travel from Prague to Germany if you want to visit more than one country. If you want to do alot of travelling you could get an interrail ticket which allows you to travel on eurpean trains. It's only worth it though if you are moving around alot.

I like Lonely Panet series of guide books and their website gives some good background info on each place that may help you choose where to go.

Lucky you B| it's so nice to be able to take an extended vacation.

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

where to stay... Join couchsurfing.com and crash at peoples houses... some people wll show you around, and you'll get to live with locals, like locals... in a relaxed and not expensive way.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

i spent 2 and a half year in europe........ best vacaton i ever had... i recomend going down to the loacal military recruiter and sign up, they will then show you the best places to stay for free....:P

actuall hostels are cheap, the train is resonable for long distance or you could always rent a car for a few days to get around between some of the closer citties you would like to visit in an area...

check out fromers guide, it worked for the kids in eurotrip.... maybe you are looking for some wild crazy european sex... check amsterdam for that....lol...:P

I've travelled relatively extensively through non-Latin Europe (...switzerland...)...

we are also latin >:(

:$sorry, i was mainly in the german-speaking areas so it didn't register as "latin" ...again, :$ (being really nice to piisfish for when i get my act together to go jumping in CH..)

Just another word on trains... for some bizarre reason we found if you do go over a border it's cheaper to buy the international ticket than each leg, and you can get off on the way... & the railpasses tend to need a lot of travelling to make them worthwhile

My best advice is to get the Rick Steves' travel guides for the areas you are interested in going to. His books are the best! We used it for hotel and restaurant recommendations and also followed his tours and suggestions of what to see if you are only in a town for a couple of days. He also sells a cool clothesline that doesn't require clips and concentracted travel wash on his website that we used to wash clothes in the sink at the hotels.

great Advice, he also has a Podcast you can subscribe too on his website, just google 'travel with Rick Steves'. The good thing about this guy is a lot of his stuff is tailored for americans traveling in europe.
If you go you gotta visit Berlin, that city rocks, full of history, architecture and awesome night life.

Citys for a must visit - London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Budapest

Okay... more info....

- I travel a lot and so I'm familiar with hostiles, getting to know locals, etc.

- I am definately not a been there/done that type.

- I am 28 and I am travelling alone.

- I think I'd be too nervous about the couchsurfing.com or whatever. You never know who the hell you would end up staying with.

- I am open to going anywhere cool.

- I have not decided whether or not to bring a rig. I guess that depends on how much moving around I'm going to do. If I move a lot, I will probably pack as light as possible.

- A month is not set in stone. I may go over there and never come back.

- I dig adventure sports. My favorite trip was to Peru to hike Machu Piccu (which I still can't spell).

So there. I just kinda decided on my drive into work this morning that this sounded like a good idea. But I still haven't made any decisions.

- A month is not set in stone. I may go over there and never come back.

Then you'd better take your rig!!

fwiw I agree with sneaky's list, if that is the side of europe you end up on (exc London/Amsterdam - you've already lived in London and say you've seen Amsterdam) ... would add Vienna though (we went for 3 days and ended up staying a week...) - you could easily spend a week in each of those cities mentioned. rail links between them (berlin/prague/budapest/vienna) are pretty easy too. tripadvisor.com should have feedback on the various hostels etc in those cities to help you choose

I took a backpack and my guitar and went to Europe on a 90-day visa and stayed 12 months...well, only 11 if you don't count the last month in jail for immigration violation. but WHAT a BLAST! Europe, I mean, not jail.

I was a "professional tourist" and traveled all over. The transit system over there is the greatest!

Hit Amsterdam, Hamburg, Frankfort, Heidelburg, Munich, Bern, Zurich, Luxembourg, Toulouse, Valencia, Gibraltar, Madrid, Bordeaux, Paris (sucks), and Brussels with side trips to Belgrade and Istanbul.

Favorites were Amsterdam and Heidelburg.

Worked odd jobs here and there and some black market for money.

Advice: Try to speak the local language wherever you go. They appreciate the effort however bad it is (except France) and will be much more likely to help you out or even acknowledge that they speak English.

Have fun! You are going to love it and probably, like me, be sad to have to come back.

Oh, if you want to travel cheap on the return flight, get busted for immigration violation in Germany; they will send you back to New York for free!

:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Advice: Try to speak the local language wherever you go. They appreciate the effort however bad it is

Second that, even if I had a kiosk owner in Budapest rolling in the aisles at my attempts at Hungarian :D If you can speak a bit of German it really helps in eastern europe too.

I travelled around Eurpope for 3 and a half months with a back pack, a train pass and a youth hostel card. It was about 20 years ago, a year after college and I'm so glad I did it. I haven't made it back and I'm not sure I would want to travel that way again- our accommodations were often "primitive", laundry and showers were always issues, and we usually didn't spend more than a day or two in any one place- but it was a great experience. "Let's Go Europe" was my bible- it was just loaded with information! Seems like now you get more current travel form the internet than guides like that, but the "Let's Go" series is still available.

hey did I forget Vienna ?? That is a rocking city, especially the Prater Stern when your full of beer. Or the Danube in the summer with all the skaters and outdoor bars & restaurants. If you get to Vienna maybe include a trip to Melk which is on the edge of Nieder Osterriech with its monestry and forested hills.

hey did I forget Vienna ?? That is a rocking city, especially the Prater Stern when your full of beer. Or the Danube in the summer with all the skaters and outdoor bars & restaurants. If you get to Vienna maybe include a trip to Melk which is on the edge of Nieder Osterriech with its monestry and forested hills.

And if you're into art it's got some great museums. And don't miss the catacombs :o

You don't specify when you plan on travelling. I have never heard anything but praise for Copenhagen in the summer and I would be only all too happy to show you around, but if we're talking right now... well, Danish weather can really suck at times.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I wondered around Europe for 3+ months a while ago. In a month by eurail, you could probably do Spain (Toledo -- Alahambra), Southern Portugal (Lagos -- beach) and Italy (Cinque Terra -- hike, Venice, San Gimignano, Amalfi, Rome). Parenthesis are the places I'd return to.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt