grue

Ok, so how many of you started jumping because you wanted to beat a fear of heights?

Nope didn't work for me...I can jump out of a plane at 14,000ft but I still get a small amount of vertigo when I climb up a ladder. Still can't lean over a one story rooftop.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

I started due to the fact I had broken my body so bad in other sports... to fling it from a plane seem to be the natural progression. That and I wanted to see how broke I can become from a sport.

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

I knew a guy with over 1000 jumps who hated planes. Scared him to death everytime we got a new pilot.

We of course, being kind people, would do things like turn on the stall alarm and shake the tail just after takeoff. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

My brother trains pilots and when he is taking them for their test he will pretend to drop his pen but actually take the key out - then sits back and watches how they react! Good training to become a jump pilot! :D
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Some of the things I've heard done to to Cesna jump pilots:

On your way out the door, turn off the engine and take the key. :o

Get a 3-way in the door. Have the outside person crawl under the plane and to the other side. Right after the others go knock on the pilots window and ask if he/she has seen your group. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I've never understood people who decided to cure a fear of hights by jumping. It, never seems to have worked in the cases I have observed. Frankly those people always seem so nervous, I worried that they would freeze up in the event of a mal.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I love telling whuffos that skydiving doesnt seem 'high' because you are sohigh. I can sit in the door and look out no prob (over 1000'). Put me on the edge of a building and I am petrified. Once you get abouve 1000' and for some reason the fact that you are in motion seems to ease the sense of how high you are.

I love telling whuffos that skydiving doesnt seem 'high' because you are sohigh. I can sit in the door and look out no prob (over 1000'). Put me on the edge of a building and I am petrified. Once you get abouve 1000' and for some reason the fact that you are in motion seems to ease the sense of how high you are.

True. I find being on a rock face much scarier than jumping; but for people who have an existing phobia of heights (not just a mild fear), the unreality of 10,000 won't make a difference. I have seen people in a jump plane hyperventilating looking like they were going to cry, or have an anxiety attack. Is it really worth it to go through all that? Yes I was scared my first time and I get some butterflies on the first jump of the season, but I would not force myself through something that was too traumatizing to be enjoyable just out of some fear facing issue. It is supposed to be fun, not a test of manhood. The fear is supposed to be an exciting fear (like a roller coaster only better). If a person is shitting his/her pants they are not likely going to cure anything and they are a hazard to themselves.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I've never understood people who decided to cure a fear of hights by jumping. It, never seems to have worked in the cases I have observed. Frankly those people always seem so nervous, I worried that they would freeze up in the event of a mal.

Richards

In psychology, it's called exposure therapy, but it's normally not so extreme. The skydiving thing also doesn't work because there's nothing to give a frame of reference, I reckon. You put someone on a 10,000' tall ledge and I bet some issues will come up... unless he's a BASE jumper :D
cavete terrae.

Well I don't actually know if it was a fear of hiegths I waned to beat. I went out to the DZ with a friend, he wanted me to jump but I was "It's all good bro, I hate hieghts". We enter the hangar and the BS begins, I'm a pussy etc, etc. I took it all in stride as I felt as though in a fight the majority of the folks in the hangar would be "right behind me!" if a fight broke out (this of course is with the exception of my buddy Jason, as he is someone I truely fear). Well the verbal jabs continued without effect, sissy this, chickenshit that and I was good. It was not until "Skykimer" ( all of 5 foot nothing, 110 lbs walked right up to me and called me a big PUSSY! Well pride got in the way and out the door I went (scared as hell I might add. Well, 14 months and 460 skydives later I thank Kim every day for calling me a PUSSY!!!:D

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

I disagree Richards - I'm terrified of heights. I went on one of those cable car things in New Zealand and was absolutely petrified! I was so scared I couldn't breathe properly and these things are at most about 100ft off the ground.

Yet I can easily get out of the plane at 12 grand. Yes I was sh*t scared on my first couple of jumps but it had nothing to do with the height factor (I think most normal people would be at least a little scared first time out?).

I'm semi afraid of heights. perhaps it is that basic 'born with fear of falling and loud noises' .. when i am in a plane, it is different though. weird. Maybe it has to do with the adreneline, or the fact that, when i am in a jump plane, i have a backpack on with possibly 2 good pieces of folded up and beaten material.. when i am on a tall building, looking over the edge, i lack this equipment on my back.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Did it work? I'm not personally acrophobic, but I've met quite a few people who are, and say skydiving didn't help a bit, they just have money problems because of it :D

Nope. Just wanted to. I already done a bungy jump, paraglide and parasail. A group of people from work went to do a tandem, so I said "I'm there!".

So I should stop jumping then?

Yes. I have an opening for a cabana boy;)

But to answer the original question... I don't feel like I have a real fear of heights. Tall buildings/platforms... no problem. But ladders and anything I have to climb scare the shit out of me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke