Icon134

Do you like or dislike Snakes...

Kill em all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kill them all the time here in australia

if I walk outside and accidentally step on a king brown I'll be dead before I know whats hit me.
if I see them first, they are dead, I prefer to attack on colder days they are slower then,
key is to come from the sides and work the body first,
work the body break them down then go for the head
if ya attack from directly behind they may swing back at ya
attack from the front and you'll find out what end bites,
attack from the side and make sure you take them by suprise and first shot will break there back
then keep breaking there back in as many places as possible and work ya way to the head,
you'll find out where the saying of "mad as a cut snake" comes from
cos nothing really is madder then a cut snake
man they get pissed, I think they know how deadly they are, and man they get pissed!!!!!

Snakes used to bother me, until I actually had to hold one...long story....after having to hold the snake, I really don't mind them...they are really, really neat creatures....now if I see one in the middle of the road and it is NOT poisonous, I will help it along...found one in the middle of the road sunning hisself and wouldn't move to save his life...I picked it up by the tail and my SO and kids were in the car...my SO just about pee'd himself because I would have never, ever done that before I got over my fear of snakes....my kids thought that I could move the world that day!;):$

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I'm not afraid of them. I don't love them. But, when I find a garter snake, I relocate it.

The funniest was trying to capture a black racer:D Actually, my hunny was trying to capture that one and I watched safely from behind the sliding glass door:D Seriously one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life, except when my hunny almost got bit on the thigh--yes, THIGH. The thing lunged so quickly, I'm surprised my hunny had time to think about backing up.

Anywho...I do NOT believe in killing things, so I've learned about snakes, b/c though they're not my favorite things, I want to be able to capture them safely when they invade our property and put them in a happier place.

I've never had to spray for bugs (except original termite bond) and we've never seen one in the house---seriously. I think it's due to the lizards and tree frogs we have outside. We have a lot of them. I enjoy having an abundance of these insect-eating reptiles so snakes are not welcome, but kindly removed:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Working in the Southwest, out in the boonies, I came across many rattlesnakes - all dead now - and once stepped on a bull snake. Screamed like a little school girl and didn't quit running for 1/2 mile...

:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Working in the Southwest, out in the boonies, I came across many rattlesnakes - all dead now - and once stepped on a bull snake. Screamed like a little school girl and didn't quit running for 1/2 mile...

:D:D:D

I'd be a bit more jumpy about poisonous snakes... :o but generally I realize that they are content leaving me alone if I do the same for them. :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

...I'd be a bit more jumpy about poisonous snakes...

Agreed. However, when you step on a snake and feel the wiggle knowing you are in rattlesnake country, you rarely take the time to see if it's poisonous or not before you SCREAM and run....:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Like them. I've raised snakes, lizzards, and the appropriate food sources (aka mice/rats) before. Do not have any now, but...no worries. They're cool! B|
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

A fellow jumper Eric Anderson (which some of you might know) who is stationed in Afghanistan just caught some kind of viper over there on a glue trap for rats.....I'll fwd his letter....

We found this cute little bugger on a sticky trap. A “sticky trap” is a piece of cardboard with some super adhesive the purpose of which is to trap rats and mice. We have an area of our tent that seems to be a superhighway for the furry bastards so we decided to take them on their own turf.

So did the snake. Sucks to be him.

We believe it to be a saw scaled viper based on our recognition cards. It is one of the deadlier vipers on the planet with venom that is haemotoxic and neurotoxic AND it has the added bonus of containing a powerful anticoagulant. So the tissue that the venom doesn’t kill bleeds profusely.

Oh, those are chunks of chocolate w/ peanut butter. Mice love them, we use them as bait. We’re up to about 50 mice in 6 months and now 1 snake (the camp’s first).

Take care,

v/r,

Eric Anderson, GS-12

73 EACS JR2 Site Lead

Lockheed Martin Information Technology

DSN 318-463-1005

(For some reason it won't let me post the pic he sent....perhaps I could email it to someone and they could post it.....if it's just me that can't attach pics)

Snakes are cool.
I don't like the poisonous ones, but I will leave them alone if they leave me alone. I killed a rattlesnake when I lived in CA for pretty much no reason and ever since then decided to leave them alone.

Ummm someone here said non poisonous snakes don't bite. I can tell you that is not true. I believe king snakes will bite you if you are not nice handling them. I hear it feels like a very strong pinch and that you really don't want it to happen.

It is actuall illegal in many states to kill any snake, poisonous or not. I know in GA it carries a nice fine.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Ummm someone here said non poisonous snakes don't bite. I can tell you that is not true.

As I pointed out to my friends on Sunday... Black Rat Snakes will bite but generally once you have them in hand and assuming that you handle them gently they are quite mellow and perfectly content to wrap themselves around you're hand or arm... B|

As a kid I was bitten by a garter snake or two... trying to catch them...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Ummm someone here said non poisonous snakes don't bite. I can tell you that is not true.

Anyone who has said that, has never encountered a green tree python or emerald tree boa :S:D

Maybe they just meant they don't bite for no reason. Not that poisonous ones will, but they tend to defend themselves a little more rapidly than a non poisonous one.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

The other day we had a couplr of unusally warm days an I found this snake outside the house.
As it come out of hibination to early it was very slow an couldnt find food, so I put it in the cellar an gave it some milk
but alas it died.

Here its called, White snake, not venomous an seldon attacks

Gone fishing

Anyone who has said that, has never encountered a green tree python or emerald tree boa :S:D

Maybe they just meant they don't bite for no reason. Not that poisonous ones will, but they tend to defend themselves a little more rapidly than a non poisonous one.

Possibly. No snake really bites without reason, though.

It's always either a feeding response, or self defense.