ltdiver

Perris Valley Skydiving's New Web Site

http://www.skydiveperris.com/expert.html

Did you notice what they say about the jet? That would be great if the jet is going to be at WFFC and jumpers are able to jump from it. I checked the WFFC's web site and didn't see the jet listed yet.

Keeping fingers crossed.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i cant find the "stop the music" button

It's located on the lower right side of your right-hand speaker.:P

Yeah, I don't like uninvited music on websites.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I don't have flash installed, so it won't let me look at it. They should have a link to the old site at the bottom for people on dial-up or who don't have flash.

agreed.. and it's kind of annoying

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I don't have flash installed, so it won't let me look at it. They should have a link to the old site at the bottom for people on dial-up or who don't have flash.

why is aerodyne-int in the source code?

why do they program browser dependant code?

why do they think I'll change OS's just for them?

why did they break my bookmarks?

why do they not realize search engines cannot follow flash?
(Geez - this one seems wierd because the old site had content link spamming)

Whenever I decide to reboot to a different os, I'll look at it. In the meantime, anyone have a sub-page url?
I use sub pages via google to see aerodyne's site.
All the indexed pages in google (that I tried) give a 404. At least they could have forwarded the old links.

I don't understand why people do this stuff. They complain about their search engine rank then completely obliterate it.

Why do I have to add empty tags to the word aerodyne to prevent content hijacking?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

why do they program brower dependant code?

Whenever I decide to reboot to a different os, I'll look at it. In the meantime, anyone have a sub-page url?
All the indexed pages in google (that I tried) give a 404. At least they could have forwarded the old links.

I don't understand why people do this stuff. They complain about their search engine rank then completely obliterate it.

Why do I have to add empty tags to the word aerodyne to prevent content hijacking?

because they can.
maybe they took some src code from aerod- y ne
but like i said, it's annoying to not search on a page or also bookmark one. hopefully they fix things and have a html version too!

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I do have Flash, and the website is plenty annoying.

Walt

I do have Flash, and the website is plenty annoying.

Walt

I have to agree with you. Unfortunately websites like this typically have lots of motion but it just makes it more distracting and harder to find the information you're really looking for. The value of the website is diminished when it doesn't help people get information fast.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

why do they program browser dependant code?

Unfortunately I don't think that the people that paid for the website understood what they were buying.
They got sold an expensive website by designers that want to make a lot of money and don't tell the customer about the problems they are going to cause. I've seen this so many times, i just makes me mad.

It's very hard to get a decision to build web pages like these un-done. No one wants to admit that a mistake was made and people start justifying a bad decision. The money is spent and the designer isn't going to give it back. Typically a lot of time has been invested by staff working the designer and friendships have begun, thus there is no motivation to believe what nay-sayers like me have to say about web pages like these.

I said basically the same thing about the aerod-yne pages when they first came out - nothing has changed. Smart talking web page designers make good money building slick looking pages.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

where are teh webcam links??

Scott

Yeah, that's one thing I miss from this new site. Perhaps they're working with the hardware/software to make them much better than before. Ya know...they had alot of problems with the old webcams after Jack left.

As for the navigation of the site. After quickly learning the new ropes, it's really an easy find. However, I -do- feel for those who are still on dial-up. Perhaps with the feedback that I'm sure they will be getting, they'll develop a simpler .html alternative. Don't want to leave anybody out (or force them to upgrade for their viewing pleasure. ;) )

All in all, I like this new site. Perhaps it's my Mac. Maybe it's my DSL. Or because I don't mind change. (really really hated that orange color the old web site had all over it anyway. :P )

Whatever your gripe (or pat on the back) is, there is a link on the site that welcomes comments. For those of you loathing downloading the new Flash (or those who walk with dial-up) who can't view the page, here is the e-mail that invites comments: [email protected] :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Thank you very much for all the feedback on Perri's new site.

We just launched the new website a few days ago with the intention of giving you an easy to navigate site where things are easy to find.

The new website structure will allow us to post fresh an good content constantly in a cool way…

The site is still under development and all your feedback will be considered to make all needed improvements.

In the case of this website the use of flash is an advantage to dial-up users thanks to how light all files are. The videos could be the only heavy thing and that won’t be a problem as you can continue to navigate the whole website while the videos are still downloading.

We will post an html only version as soon as possible, however, please note that only 0.2% of our users have flash problems, in fact many compliments have arrived from people that are really enjoying the new website.

Please stay tuned to the website. We will be posting more new content within the next couple of weeks.

Blue skies

Thank you very much for all the feedback on Perri's new site.

We just launched the new website a few days ago with the intention of giving you an easy to navigate site where things are easy to find.

The new website structure will allow us to post fresh an good content constantly in a cool way…

The site is still under development and all your feedback will be considered to make all needed improvements.

In the case of this website the use of flash is an advantage to dial-up users thanks to how light all files are. The videos could be the only heavy thing and that won’t be a problem as you can continue to navigate the whole website while the videos are still downloading.

We will post an html only version as soon as possible, however, please note that only 0.2% of our users have flash problems, in fact many compliments have arrived from people that are really enjoying the new website.

Please stay tuned to the website. We will be posting more new content within the next couple of weeks.

Blue skies

I'd look into the detection schemes you are using.
I can see skydiveperris.com/loader.swf just fine. It doesn't have the nav in it.
The flash for another project you sent me works just fine on NT.

only 0.2% of our users have flash problems,

These types of comments are so misleading. Users that have problems with your site don't hang around, so you may never get feedback from them. I have a multi-boot system, because I do the same thing you do, develop web sites. I need to check various OS and browser combinations. It's a pain to do, but multi-boot is better than dedicated systems.

I'll tell you what bugs me the most.
Two major things

1. usability. Your perris site has double vertical scroll bars. You cannot search for text or copy and paste text. If I wanted to copy the details of a FJC to my buddy, I couldn't do that with a flash site.

2. search engine friendliness. Disable flash, javascript and java to see how a search engine sees your site. Perris depends on referals from a search engine much more than a gear mfg. The search engine friendliness of an all-flash site is a big zero. I would never recomend an all-flash site to a DZO, no matter how 'cool' the site looked. As soon as google crawls the site, the existing links to any page on skydiveperris.com will show up as a 404. See attachment crawl.jpg

There are ways to create one site that integrates the 'wow-cool' factor of flash with search engine friendliness.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Jan,

From the .jpg attachment you provided.

If you go to the link that Google provided you see this: http://www.skydiveperris.com/pagenotfound.html?404;http://www.skydiveperris.com/home.asp

It then gives you the correct web page to go to. They've linked to it.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon