Elisha

Etiquette Question for Riggers

This is mostly for Riggers.

I have a question regarding etiquette. Here is/was my situation:

My reserve was up for it's regular repack. I was initially planning on taking my rig to to the rigging loft at my usual location, but the weather at this location (DZ#1) was unsuitable for jumping on the particular day I wanted to take my rig in for repack. I decided to go to a different DZ where the weather was suitable for jumping and then left my rig with the Rigger at this DZ (DZ#2) for a repack.

The rigging loft at DZ#1 has a fair amount of business and I'm sure they would not have noticed my lack of business for this repack. I trust both riggers, so quality is not an issue in my book.

I realize that I'm the customer and can take my business where I want to, but at the same time have a slightly feeling of "disloyalty" for my decision, even though my decision was based on one of 1) where I was able to jump on this particular day before a needed repack and 3) convenience of location.

What are your thoughts on this as to both "customer loyalty" and "hurt feelings"/etiquette. Thanks.

FWIW it doesn't bother me and I know several people that like to use two different riggers. I think it is helpful to have a different set of eyes look over the gear from time to time.

Of course I don't get my feelings hurt to easy:)

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I'm a rigger, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone were to go to another rigger. Then again, rigging isn't my primary income.

But really... rigging is a service and a buisiness like anything else. Would you feel disloyal if you went to a different auto mechanic, hair dresser, or grocery store than your usual? I see no difference. If the rigger is hurt or angry, my opinion of them would be reduced.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

that would not have hurt my feelings, and I am a full-time rigger.

Some people from Vancouver Island or the interior even bring their rigs to me for a detailed inspection (reserve, main, etc.) every second year.
Maybe that is because I am one of the few FAA Master Riggers (CSPA Rigger B and German Prufur Classe A) in Canada, or maybe it is because I have a reputation as a narrow-minded, anal-retentive, control-freak, dozen sewing machines, plenty of fabric for repairs, .... do you get the picture?

On a similar note, John DeSantis used to take is rig to a different rigger every time, so he ended up rotating between four or five different lofts in southern California. Either john was trying to spread the work around, or he was trying to buy votes ????
Tee! Hee!

Shouldn't be an issue. Many jumpers use whoever is available, closest, fastest, cheapest, etc. All they want is a valid signature (some don't even care about that) and don't care who packs their last chance to live. Other jumpers chose a rigger and will use nobody but them unless it's very unusuall circumstances. I have one customer who drives two 4 hour round trips to drop off and pick up her rig.

Both are extreme positions. You should care about who packs your reserve, but more than one rigger should be acceptable. I used to have several customers who would go to the easiest guy most of the time and come to me once in a while to have it "really" inspected.

When I was a newbie I had a couple of different people pack my reserve. One almost killed me. Later, as I became a rigger, I realized that niether should have been doing it. At least one if not both were master riggers. Not all riggers are created equally. I suggest being somewhat choosey. Now, if I didn't pack it there are only about 5 riggers in the world I'd let do it. That's a little extreme but what can I say.:P There are a whole lot more than 5 riggers better than me. I just don't know them.;)

I never care whether a customer goes somewhere else. But, I do take special care of my loyal customers who need a quick turnaround, need extra repairs, etc. Just like the mechanic or hair dresser/barber you've been going to for years may make a special effort to fit you in.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'm not a rigger but I am a mech and as such, I can understand where there could be advantages to having a history with and familiarity of whatever it is you're working on. On the other hand, I can attest to the fact that on occasion, a fresh set of eyes can be a plus. Personally, I prefer to have my gear maintained by one rigger, since I have one that I feel I know very well personally. He knows me, my gear and all my skydiving and gear preferences so it works out well. BTW...don't forget to tip your rigger! ;)

Completely different.

Riggers in a small industry where many people know each other and Large Fast Food chains are not comparable.

Wendy is pretty upset and she is talking about cutting off her red pigtails for good! And that freak'n little talking rodent dog will not shut up......I think you need to re-think what you just said!:P:P:P:D:D:D

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Go wherever you want to go. If a rigger is pissed because you took your service elsewhere, they are insanely insecure. It's your gear, your money, you are the one in control. One of the people I pack for just had his repack done somewhere else for the same reasons you did. Not a problem. As long as his repack is in date and he's jumping safely, I'm happy ;)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

BTW...don't forget to tip your rigger!

...and tip early to avoid mistakes. :P

Riggers are professionals. The concept of 'tipping' your rigger really sounds abhorent and demeaning.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I leave my rig for a repack wherever it's most convenient for me.

You should feel guilty for leaving it for a repack the week before the Byron Boogie. I'm sure a lot of local riggers have a ton of work this week. The polite thing would have been to drop it off the weekend before last.

Hmm, not sure its "abhorent and demeaning" to tip riggers. In fact it's often a thankless job with skydivers constantly bemoaning costs, times, and the encouragement to spend the time and money maintaining their gear.

I can't think of a rigger that wouldn't appreciate the added kindness that comes with a tip in the form of cash, a cold (or hot depending on where you live) beverage, or just a kind word.

Then again, I can't think of any other professional I've worked with that didn't appreciate that same thing. Doctors were once medical students, entrepreneurs know what it means to be broke from time to time, and most any other professional went through a period of training where the hours were long, the pay was small, and the respect was minimal. I don't think anyone ever graduates from the enjoyment of a 'tip'.

But that's my $0.02.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

I leave my rig for a repack wherever it's most convenient for me.

You should feel guilty for leaving it for a repack the week before the Byron Boogie. I'm sure a lot of local riggers have a ton of work this week. The polite thing would have been to drop it off the weekend before last.

Hey - I can't help it if my repack cycles always coincide with the American and Byron boogies - they need to change the dates! Matter of fact, the Byron Boogie should have been the FOLLOWING weekend so I could actually go this year! Arrrrrggggghhh! I'm going to be in St. Louis for a conference that has been planned for over 6 months...for which almost all my expenses have been paid. Have fun and be safe for me.

BTW...don't forget to tip your rigger!

...and tip early to avoid mistakes. :P

Riggers are professionals. The concept of 'tipping' your rigger really sounds abhorent and demeaning.

No idea where you're gettin' that! Some of us gladly offer a tip for what it is, a gratuity...i.e. a monetary expression of appreciation and gratitude. Paying the "charge" is expected...a little extra thrown in, as a show of appreciation for being so "professional", is hardly demeaning. Some of us also consider the fact that without riggers, we're screwed. We understand and appreciate the great amount of pressure and responsibility that riggers willingly accept, so that the rest of us can jump with safety and confidence. I haven't seen a rigger yet, that charges what they are truly worth....just tryin' to make up the difference. ;)

I am a rigger and it would not bother me. In fact it may at times be great to have another person do it,. Just in case I miss something (fat chance),.. but you never know...

If someone gets hurt over somthing so minor if that... maybe you should not deal with them in giving them business....

I totally feel that you the customer and owner can take your rig where ever you need to.. after all you are basincally saying that I trust you and you and you. ...

So dont worrry about it.... I would not....:)

Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith