Darius11

If skydiving was not dangerous. Do you think it would still be as fun.

I don't skydive because it's dangerous; I do it because it's fun. I could care less that there is danger involved in it.

I don't get off on the danger either. But the danger has the effect of weeding out the couch potatoes. We are a self selected bunch of people who are willing to accept the risks for the exceptional beauty. And that's why we like hanging out with each other, whether we're old or young, men or women, liberal or conservative, gay or straight, you name it. We're people who are okay with leaving an airplane behind in the name of a good time and there are damn few people like us in this world.

If just any nitwit could do it, I'd probably quit.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

If somebody who'd never jumped could just strap on a camera helmet, a BirdMan suit, and a skysurfing board, all at the same time, and jump out of a plane without fear of death or dismemberment, most of the accomplishments in our sport would be seriously diminished.

Just because it wouldn't be dangerous (hypothetically speaking), doesn't mean that anyone can just put on a birdman suit or grab a board and jump out of the plane and skysurf, or even stay stable or control their flight motions....

Accomplishment comes from building skydiving skills, and that takes time and effort.

I like the sense of accomplishment and learning I get with each jump....as well as the other factors everyone has mentioned here.....

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Imagine if you could jump out of the plane and just hit the ground and get up and walk away. There was absolutely no risk of getting hurt or killed.

Would you think it was still fun?

I don’t think so.

Since my health insurance got cancelled, I think it would be a lot more fun if skydiving weren't dangerous....because I would get to participate...:S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I don't skydive for the "danger." I skydive because of who I have become since I started. I have mentally and physically gotten younger since my 1'st jump. I like me now. :ph34r:

I get a great sense of self worth when I make a dock or stand a landing up.

If I really sat down and thought about how dangerous it supposedly is, I would probably stop doing it.

As it is, I'm a conservative jumper who is just now, after 3 years, just starting to do some more unusual stuff.
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Since my health insurance got cancelled, I think it would be a lot more fun if skydiving weren't dangerous....because I would get to participate...:S

So you're willing to risk death or serious injury by jumping out of an airplane, but you're not willing to risk having to pay for it?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Take, for instance, the upcoming attempt to land a wing suit. What would be the significance without the danger factor? It's like climbing Mt. Everest--Who would care, if there were no danger?
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Take, for instance, the upcoming attempt to land a wing suit. What would be the significance without the danger factor? It's like climbing Mt. Everest--Who would care, if there were no danger?

I do not believe that there is One Reason for skydiving. There are many facets of the sport, many disciplines, and many levels of participation.

Examples - CReW, BASE, and freeflying have widely different goals and reasons for their choice of discipline.

Danger is the reason for some people, but not everyone.

I do not believe that there is One Reason for skydiving. There are many facets of the sport, many disciplines, and many levels of participation.

Examples - CReW, BASE, and freeflying have widely different goals and reasons for their choice of discipline.

Danger is the reason for some people, but not everyone.

The question wasn't whether danger is the only reason to skydive; the question was whether or not skydiving would be as much fun without the danger factor. I maintain that a lot of the satisfaction of skydiving would be diminished without having to overcome the danger factor.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

The question wasn't whether danger is the only reason to skydive; the question was whether or not skydiving would be as much fun without the danger factor. I maintain that a lot of the satisfaction of skydiving would be diminished without having to overcome the danger factor.

Original question:

Imagine if you could jump out of the plane and just hit the ground and get up and walk away. There was absolutely no risk of getting hurt or killed.

The question is phrased as "...still fun".
However, the title and actual poll is phrased as "...as fun" as you said. We were answering different questions, sorry.

how bout it just does it Grand Theft Auto style where if u hit the ground u do "die" and are respawned by the hospital :ph34r: that away u can have ur no death thing, but if u stupid enough to try it, u have to walk ur lazy ass back to the dz, since stealing a car to get back would still be bad... Im sorry too many video games for me... but seriously if u've ever played that game who hasnt drove a bike off a building, or on the new one jumped off and see how low u could pull... u should definatly not try that in real skydiving ok...:D
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

There are people who go to the wind tunnels and never want to go skydiving. They are enjoying a limited part of that aspect without risking the danger.

Don't assume wind tunnels are "safe".
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Original question:

The question is phrased as "...still fun".
However, the title and actual poll is phrased as "...as fun" as you said. We were answering different questions, sorry.

I should have read more carefully. The heading and body of the message ask two different questions.

There are people who go to the wind tunnels and never want to go skydiving. They are enjoying a limited part of that aspect without risking the danger.

Don't assume wind tunnels are "safe".

sure they are. That's what you're there for, silly :P

I don't skydive because it's dangerous; I do it because it's fun. I could care less that there is danger involved in it.

Without even reading the rest of the thread i can tell you that's exactly what i would have answered.

Skydiving's not about "cheating death". It's about having a 360 deg playground to play in. It's about being a bird. It's about being free.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I'm very willing to pay for it. Just until this divorce is final and I'm not paying every extra penny (and then some) for my attorney, then I'll not be able to skydive or buy insurance. I'll do both once the finances are lookin' better...

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I think it would be much _more_ fun...

The danger aspect of it never had anything to do with why I liked it. I could accept the danger that was involved, but I don't think it was ever part of the attraction.

Exactly:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

it's the people in the hanger.

I've always enjoyed being around skydivers, since my first weekend jumping. They're my kind of people. I also enjoy jumping out of an airplane. Especially with people I like. It makes me feel alive, very alive.
We are all engines of karma

I love skydiving and I think it is one of the grandest feelings ever. It isnt the I wonder if it is going to be my turn to go factor that makes it fun it is the "willies " in your belly.-Caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

When I did my first jump I was somewhat motivated by a sense of machismo but the thing that got me interested in staying with the sport had nothing to do with anything so silly. I loved the feel of jumping just for the fun of it, and I enjoyed the comraderie.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.