guppie01

Who is your emergency contact

My mother is mine. I know she doesn't want to get 'the call' to hear that i've been injured (it's already happened), but I know she'd rather hear from a DZ then from someone else.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I don't understand why one would have their mom or dad before their SO.

That's a big step in a relationship, I'm not ready for that yet. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't understand why one would have their mom or dad before their SO.

That's a big step in a relationship, I'm not ready for that yet. :P

I'm with you on that, Andrea. Unless I'm living with someone and have made the decision that we have financial/legal ties, I still believe it's my family that should handle my affairs/decisions if it is necessary.

Additionally, I think of the Emergency Contact as someone that the legal/medical system will ALLOW to make decisions on my behalf if it is necessary. My parents meet that criteria, my SO does not and would not unless I drew up specific paperwork to indicate that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ariel and Flounder are my emergency contacts... Unda da sea ;)

Do we use a conk shell to make the call??? ;)

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

since the guy had his parent's name in his phone under their first names.

My parents are in my phone with their last name, but a stranger would never know who they were because I still use my married last name. ICE seems like a good solution, but only if everyone knows about it.

Well it doesn't hurt to use it and yes some emergency personnel and cops are well aware of it.

Here in IL there is even a campaign now that is advertised on the message boards on our toll roads.

My son.

Reading that affected me oddly. My daughter turned 18 last week. I've chit-chatted & joked with her about being responsible for herself now, and realize it's a big step. My grandmother died nearly two months ago, after four of her children and I voted to stop trying to fix things and just ease her passing. Somehow, reading your two words made me connect those two events in my mind in a way I hadn't before and it kinda floored me. I knew logically that someday my daughter may have to make decisions for me, but I didn't realize it "emotionally" if that makes sense. The thought of her making decisions for me instead of the other way around has me in awe.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Remember laying there 2 broken legs broken L5 broken tailbone saying don't call mom i will call her later from the hospital. Was sweet swoop till impact.
That was about 4 weeks ago and still getting hell from mom for not letting them call when it happen.

http://www.swoopstudios.com/videos/videos-rex.php

My husband. Although he's also a jumper, it's extemely rare that we are at the dz together (it's sad, but that's life with small kids) and even more rare that we are on the same load/jump. They may have my mom's # as well, if it asked for someone not living with you like some forms do, I can't remember.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=51

Read this.. after making the call twice its important to think about this. [:/]

That's a great article, and it reminded me that when I was traveling around to different DZs last summer, I used my brother as emergency contact (I normally use my parents) because my parents were also traveling (and don't really use their cell phone much).

I have a living will and my son and I have gone over it in depth so that he knows what my wishes are without question. He knows where everything is and is capable of handling emergency situations with a calm that comes from the experience of dealing with such. He also is NEVER far from the cell phone!

That's a big step in a relationship, I'm not ready for that yet.

That was the second time I mentioned it, the first time I specified "long-term SO".

It took me 4 years living with Billy before he became my beneficiary. I think I had him as an emergency contact after the 2nd year. But, we've lived together since dating only 8 months. We've been together almost 6 years now.

Hope that clarifies a bit.:)

I was under the impression some of those who answered "mom" were married or otherwise have been committed long-term.???
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I don't understand why one would have their mom or dad before their SO.[:/]

Another reason:

My SO is military and has been deployed or TDY for 13 months of the two years we've been together. While significantly better able to handle an emergecy than my parents, it's not feasible to list him as a contact if he's out of the country.

I didn't read the entire thread...how many said 911?
:D:D

No one really.... some close references, but no 911.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I was under the impression some of those who answered "mom" were married or otherwise have been committed long-term.???

What do you consider long-term? We've been together about 2 1/2 years, that's why I answered your question. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've always had my mother... however in disucssion last night I'm not so sure I'd like my mom to hear news from a DZ/DZO.

Your thoughts????

g

I used to put my parents, then decided on my attorney. My parents know him and like him - I'd rather they get a call from him if it ever came to that.

I suppose it's all relative---at 2 1/2 years I had been living with Billy for almost 2 years. I had him as my emergency contact at that point.

It just seemed strange to me at first, but a lot of good points/examples have been brought up.

I just think of who loves me most, who's easiest to get in touch with, and who'd show up first. Billy, Billy & Billy, no question.:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

None of my family lives close to where I am so I actually have my boss listed to make any and all decision medically for me (he is a good friend and also a doctor) so I know I am in good hands. The first family member who I have listed is my cousin Cathy. The two of us are closer then me and my sister. I know my mom would not be able to handle that type of call. There is no way I would ever list my dad for anything.

Pretty sad that I have a friend/boss as my emergency contact before a family member. I know it is the best choice though.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly