artistcalledian

wings container for a 170, now with a 190...any problem?

I hate to say it, but not likely. Packers were complaining about getting my Sabre 170 into my container ordered to hold a 170.

Is it too late to change the container order?

yeah, its too late :( i'm in England by the way

I'm fitting a Safinre 189 in my containter, cut for a 170. It even fits in the same D-Bag, although it took me weeks worth of taking at least two attempts to get it into the bag. By now, I've had enough practice that it's really no problem. Good luck!
Well, the door was open...

Ok, let me clarify something. Its not a question of if you can *make* it fit, but if you can make it fit safely. It is possible to damage grommets, mess up the rest of the pack tray or have it so tight that you get really bad PC hesitation to the point of being unsafe. Thus no matter who tells you what they fit into what, talk to the manufacture. End of story!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What year is that Safire? It might be more like a 174. And in response to Jarrett - Wings containers are known for having small pack trays.

Just a couple of points I felt were necessary. But overall, just listen to Dave. :)

Mine didn't seem too small, but then again I haven't packed a new canopy into it yet. B|

I will be soon though...:)

This won't help your situation any but I find this somewhat humorous. My caontainer has a had as big as a Mighty Mak 375 and as small ad a Navigator 280 in it. Come to think of it it has had a bunch of canopies in it. It was made for a PD340 but has had a Para Flight 370, Mighty Mak 375, Navigator 280, Silloutte 360, and of course the PD340 in it. The only issues were the Silloutte 360 was a tight as fit and the 280 was a tad loose. Now that is 95ft2 differences...sorry I find it kinda funny that 20ft2 is such a big deal with you "little" people:P
"GOT LEAD?"

I ordered a wings container and a Pilot 170, then i changed the order to the Pilot 190 but didn't change the container, will the 190 be fine in the wings?

I have a few mates at my local DZ and they have done exactly what you have done there. Conainters were bult for a 170 but have placed a 190 in. No problems. safe and not even that much of a tight fit! :)

Give Ankie a call, and discuss it. Most of thier containers will fit 2 sizes well, i.e. a W-7 will fit 120-135' main and a W-8 will fit 135-150. AggieDave hit the nail on the head when he mentioned it fitting your canopy safely. Sure, a good packer can fit 15 pounds if shit into a 5 pound sack, but weather it comes out as it should is a whole 'nuther story.

Easy Does It

I put a Sabre 190 for a few jumps into my Wings sized for a 170. BUT - the sabre had over 800 jumps on it and I was damn good at packing it up real small. I also had no cypres taking up space.

That said, I attribute a couple of very odd openings to doing this and it was a complete pig to pack. With a 170 in there now it's obvious I'll be able to downsize to a 150 without any problem in the future.

I only had it in there for a very short time while I was in the process of downsizing. I wouldn't say its a particularly good idea to do this as a long term plan.

I have a friend with a Wings, and he got a one-upsized main and I consider it to be over tight, at least from the perspective of damaging the container. As others said though, it depends on several factors, and if it is too late anyway, well you will find out. I caution you against over stuffing a container.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have a wings - had a new (25 jumps) sabre2 190 in it (now with 100 additional jumps on it).

The container fits a 190 - and its a bitch to pack because its SO tight in the container. If I understand correctly there aren't many packers in Europe - so you better get real good at packing if you plan on getting something bigger than the container.

Oh ya, and don't plan on doing many jumps a day.

If I were you, because the frustration is just not worth it, I'd alter your order to fit your canopy.

Jen
Arianna Frances

>will the 190 be fine in the wings?

Going up one size (to the Pilot 188) shouldn't be a big deal. It will also give the rig a longer 'life' if you will, since it will also hold a Pilot 168 and 150 if you downsize to those. It will be a bit tougher to pack.

IIRC a W-18 or a W-21 are both built for a 170-190 ZP main. A W-13 is built for a 170 ZP main, and a W-11 is built for a 150-170 ZP main.

What size reserve were you planning to use with the container? As one poster previously asked, did you decide to upsize the reserve as well?

no, i didn't upsize the reserve, its still a 170

thanks for the replies folks

Aren't containers generally built and "sized" around their reserves? Maybe things have changed some since I've ordered/purchased NEW gear (before many of you have even started jumping it seems :$).

That said, even if so, when you order a rig, it usually comes with a recommended main size (and different for F-111 or ZP) RANGE, that it should accept. If the rig were on the smaller side of that range (and the 170 was initially the MAX size that would fit in there) you might have a concern. If it was in the middle or the other-way around, I would think he would be okay.

What is it that made your decision to "upsize" artist? As someone else also "points out" in here, I'm surprised you did not consider your reserve relative to whatever that thought process, need/requirement, or decision factor was too. If it is wing loading/safety considerations, why would you be any more comfortable on a smaller reserve (and "last chance") than your main? Just something else to think about/consider is all.

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone