piisfish

Parachutes in airliners are a NO GO in England...

But what if you get the 350 pound woman whose fat overhangs your seat?

Lets see, what would other people do in that situation? Hmmm....Oh, yeah, they'd probably sue someone. It would be a chore for me, I wouldn't even know who to start sueing. Someone that has a hand in it, but not directly involved...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

BWOOOP BWOOOP! Shameless plug alert. BWOOOP BWOOOP!
;)

It's only a shameless plug if it didn't 100% fit into the context of what we were talking about. :)

So isthere a section for 350 lbs people? :ph34r:

In my perfect world, I see it as everyone would wind up finding like-minded/compatible people to sit with - people ranging from the large to the thin, the moms with kids to the businesmen who hate kids, the college kid looking to get laid, the 75-year-old gentleman looking for a companion to tour Italy...

It's all good. :)

I'm planning to call the airlines soon to clarify some of the banned items, but thought I'd also ask here. My family (baby included) are flying from Atlanta to Newport News, VA for the Labor Day weekend. I'm assuming we'll be okay with a carry-on bag of baby essentials including baby formula?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I am flying tomorrow on Southwest and even they are requiring no liquids and no gels including beverages, shampoo, lotions, creams, toothpaste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.

This is even for a flight from northern CA to southern CA.

They say this about baby formula: Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or small child is traveling, are exceptions subject to inspection at the checkpoint.

I would definitely check with whatever airline you are flying with even if it is a short in state flight.

I'm planning to call the airlines soon to clarify some of the banned items, but thought I'd also ask here. My family (baby included) are flying from Atlanta to Newport News, VA for the Labor Day weekend. I'm assuming we'll be okay with a carry-on bag of baby essentials including baby formula?

As long as you can lactate on demand, you'll be fine.

Seriously, though, you'll have to carry baby formula with you and be prepared to drink it in front of the screener.

No boxes of tissues.

No hand wipes.

It's so fucking stupid.

This is the US meno I got from our corporate travel agents

Travel Recommendations for Flights Originating in the United States

Arrive at the airport at least two hours prior to departure for domestic flights and 3.5 hours for international flights
NO LIQUIDS OR GELS OF ANY KIND WILL BE PERMITTED IN CARRY ON BAGGAGE. ITEMS MUST BE IN CHECKED BAGGAGE. This includes all beverages, shampoo, sun tan lotion, creams, tooth paste, perfume, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency. Exception: Baby formula and medicines must be presented for inspection at the checkpoint.
Beverages purchased in the boarding area (beyond the checkpoint) must be consumed before boarding because they will not be permitted on board the aircraft.
Passengers traveling from the U.K. to the U.S. will be subject to a more extensive screening process at the boarding gate.
International passengers be aware that although you may carry laptops, etc. from the United States to the UK, all carry-on luggage is prohibited on flights originating in the UK
Cooperate with security officials and be prepared for security screening
Pack lightly - use clear plastic bags to facilitate faster screening. Review the list of TSA banned items when packing.

Remster

I'm assuming we'll be okay with a carry-on bag of baby essentials including baby formula?

One reporter that I was watching suggested that you pre-measure the dry formula into the bottles and then ask the flight attendant for water once you get on the plane.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I work at Fort Detrick in Maryland. They have raised security here as well.

In addition to our NCI/Fort Detrick ID, we have to show a second form of ID as well. And we don't have anything to do with aviation here.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

How much longer until we can't travel with any luggage at all and have to fly nekid?

Its been a long time (nearly 10 years) since I've flown commercial, but I really wouldn't like to sit next to the folks that I had to sit next to last time, nekid.:o:|

Awwe Come On Dave - Lets fly to Eloy!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I used to carry my rig as hand luggage, cause i dont trust the bloody airlines with my checked in stuff (lost my bag twice already).

How much is it going to cost to insure your luggage if you have to stick your rig in it? Seeing as you can't keep an eye on it yourself anymore...
[:/]:|:S
Some dream of flying, i live the dream...

Yep, the TSA has now banned liquids and gels in carry-ons on domestic flights.

The UK has now banned the carry-on of electronic keyfobs, as they can be used to detonate explosives. I can see the problems now. "Sorry we lost your luggage. Oh, it had your car keys in it? And you can't disable your alarm to use your spare? Sorry...parking will be $35/day in addition to whatever you pay for a rental. Thanks for flying with us"

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The UK has now banned the carry-on of electronic keyfobs, as they can be used to detonate explosives. I can see the problems now. "Sorry we lost your luggage. Oh, it had your car keys in it? And you can't disable your alarm to use your spare? Sorry...parking will be $35/day in addition to whatever you pay for a rental. Thanks for flying with us"

Blues,
Dave

so then you drive and end up paying $5 a gallon for gas...:S Looks like I'll be staying home for awhile! My retirement/savings/kids college accounts are going to thank me!
Scars remind us that the past is real

Yeah, its going to suck flying for a while but good job on the Brits for catching the terrorists before they blew up several planes.

Knowing personally how difficult drug interdiction is it amazes me how many terrorist incidents they head off. Great job.:)
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Blues,
Dave

Exact-a-fucking-mundo! I travel constantly. In fact Im somewhere new every week for the next 5 weeks.
So here are my choices:
Check my luggage so it can be lost.
Pack no toiletries and have to buy them and throw them away at my destination.

I have developed my packing skills so that I can use a typical sized roll on and pack for 7 days. Now I'll run the risk of being without ANY clothes for multiple days and having to deal with someone (over the phone) in another country who can barely speak english, much less give a damn about the fact that my underwear smells like a 50 year old locker room. :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Yeah, its going to suck flying for a while but good job on the Brits for catching the terrorists before they blew up several planes.

still feels like a victory for the bastards. I mean, shit, the airlines have banned water!

Are the luggage screeners that much better than the security checkpoints? Or is this more BS window dressing?

same govt. cheese.
Ive got knives nail clippers, etc through security. Accidentally of course.
You spend enough time in airports and you hear how many (not all) of the TSA folks talk, see how they act, you get a bit of a feeling that we're not doing the best we can.
and I quote a TSA agent walking down the hall last week speaking to other TSA agents walkin with him.
" its a good day, back to work for 15 min and we get another 1/2 hour break." :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Are the luggage screeners that much better than the security checkpoints? Or is this more BS window dressing?

What's that line from "Evita?"

Oh what a circus, oh what a show?

It's all bullshit. There's NOTHING safer about air travel today than there was on 9/10/01, except for US - WE'RE smarter, and WE'RE being more aware. CERTAINLY not the TSA.

Take off your shoes, Grandpa.

Yeah, I feel secure.

Whatever.

But what if you get the 350 pound woman whose fat overhangs your seat?:o

Then you obviously haven't used AirTroductions.

Classic plug. btw, ran into someone on my flight home last week that also recognized me from the Houston interview.
big kid seats are cool. B| especially when the one next to you is hot and single. :P
------
Michael

It's all bullshit. There's NOTHING safer about air travel today than there was on 9/10/01, except for US - WE'RE smarter, and WE'RE being more aware. CERTAINLY not the TSA.

I'm looking for my eyewitness accounts of all the TSA 'eyebrow raisers' that I witnessed in 2005. I'm still compiling my list for this year. One thing I do have to say is that the security people have zero personality and don't take shit from anyone.
------
Michael

Can you imagine how fast it will now be to actually load and unload the plane itself? No more idiots taking 5 minutes each to pack their stuff away before finally getting their ass in the seat.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am