piisfish

Parachutes in airliners are a NO GO in England...

What the posts are saying here is that the security steps we see are nothing but window dressing.

No , according to some reports the explosive they had was some form of liquid that looked non descript. Maybe two lucozade bottles of ingredient x and y mixed together , then detonated with the batteries from your walkman. On one side it sounds far fetched , but on the other..

HA, traveling back from LP I noticed just before going through security that I'd left my hookknife on my rig.... TSA scanned it and one agent said "Oh, is this a sport parachute?" me, "yes." A manager was called over for a re-scan, and he said "yup, just like the last one, it's okay." WTF, how the hell did they not notice the hookknife??? :S

That's at least the second time your hook-knife has made it through such a scan, if not the third (I've carried your hook-knife through security too). I noticed recently when cleaning out my normal travel bag that I took this in my carry-on to Tahoe & back. :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

This reaction to this potential threat/plan will only inconvienience travelers. If anyone thinks that terrorists didnt realize that even if this worked, they wouldnt have to have a new plan, are foolish. Theyre already working on a way to get around the new restrictions.

Well done to the UK police, it was a reaction to a threat instead of a reaction to an incident.

This reaction to this potential threat/plan will only inconvienience travelers. If anyone thinks that terrorists didnt realize that even if this worked, they wouldnt have to have a new plan, are foolish. Theyre already working on a way to get around the new restrictions.

Well done to the UK police, it was a reaction to a threat instead of a reaction to an incident.

Dont get me wrong... I believe that the work that the forces around the world do to prevent such attach are applaudable and a reason for that attaboy.

I just hate how the TSA reacts and how the news agencys run around like the inflateable wacky waving arm guys everytime a new piece of news like this comes up.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Just got my upgrade to Phoenix. If nothing else, I'll get anally probed by security, and my butt will heal in a first class seat.

Woo! Big kid seat!!

Gotta love Continental's emails - I actually have Outlook programmed for a special email alert if it finds the word "Elite" within 10 words of "new" and "seat assignment."

I'm such a dork. But a dork sitting in the front of the bus! Yee-haa!!

Just got my upgrade to Phoenix. If nothing else, I'll get anally probed by security, and my butt will heal in a first class seat.

Woo! Big kid seat!!

Gotta love Continental's emails - I actually have Outlook programmed for a special email alert if it finds the word "Elite" within 10 words of "new" and "seat assignment."

3E is my seat. Sat there one day and someone had checked in before me and they moved me to 3B. He got pissed when I was in 'my' seat. The FA told him to calm down. That's normally where he sits.

It's scary that I'm starting to see the same flight crews over and over.
------
Michael

Woo! Big kid seat!!

3E is my seat. Sat there one day and someone had checked in before me and they moved me to 3B. He got pissed when I was in 'my' seat. The FA told him to calm down. That's normally where he sits.

It's scary that I'm starting to see the same flight crews over and over.

the workers at the President's Club at Newark ask me how my two cats are.

I really, really need a girlfriend and a life.

What do you suggest? Profiling? That may hurt too many feelings.

yes, god forbid we hurt the feelings of terrorists. i honestly don't think i could live with that. :S

exactly how many times have people of muslim religion blown up, crashed (or tried to) airplanes in the past?
compare that to number of times your grandma did any of those things.
now answer me this: why is your grandma the one that has to take of her shoes to get on a plane?
Padalcek - CCO, HF-17
http://www.theflyinghellfish.com
I'm not a real skydiver - but I do play one on dz.com.

What do you suggest? Profiling? That may hurt too many feelings.

yes, god forbid we hurt the feelings of terrorists. i honestly don't think i could live with that. :S

exactly how many times have people of muslim religion blown up, crashed (or tried to) airplanes in the past?
compare that to number of times your grandma did any of those things.
now answer me this: why is your grandma the one that has to take of her shoes to get on a plane?

So true. Political correctness is useless, just do what gets the job done.

Yes, there have been white hijackers. Yes, whitey has blown shit up before. But let's have a look and see who's doing what these days, and see what's more common.
cavete terrae.

So folks, what are your suggestions to stop terrorism? Let's be solution orientated. What do you suggest? Profiling? That may hurt too many feelings. Would you feel better if just the Muslim folks traveling were subjegated to these measures. No I'm sure not. We're all in this together. If there are better ideas lemme know. Let our Senators know. Let's bitch at them.

You want my honest suggestion? Be proactive, not reactive. Stop sticking our fucking noses in other peoples' business. Our involvement in the middle east is what brought this shit on.
cavete terrae.

I mean God forbid security try to do anything to stop any other terroristic threats at the cost of YOUR convenience.

What the posts are saying here is that the security steps we see are nothing but window dressing.

DING DING DING

I could teach a retarded monkey to get a dangerous item on an airplane. It's not exactly fucking rocket science, half of us have done it on accident.
cavete terrae.

Stop exagerating.

They havent perfected cryogenics for commercial applications yet. :|

Something else that really bugs me about air travel post 9-11. Stewardesses used to be there for customer satisfaction....

Oh don't get me started on that. I don't want someone who's got a doctorate in neurospecific ramifications of particle technology when serving a full can vs plastic cup with a lot of ice.

I want a hot young chick that's easy on the eyes. Stop hiring on qualifications for stewardesses, start hiring on looks. THAT will help customer opinion as much as anything. It doesn't take years of experience to roll a cart down the aisle and give me a can of mountain dew (no cup please, thank you miss. Or ma'am, these days), and whoever delivers that ambrosia to me would ideally be someone I can fantasize about taking into the tiny bathroom and having wild sex with to pass the time.
cavete terrae.

Grue, last time that fantasy of yours existed was on Southwest in the '70s ... and you weren't even alive yet!

Now, today, I expect some hot mens as flight attendants. :D Sadly I am usually disappointed... save for the strapping young Maori man on my Air New Zealand flight a few years back.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Grue, last time that fantasy of yours existed was on Southwest in the '70s ... and you weren't even alive yet!

Now, today, I expect some hot mens as flight attendants. :D Sadly I am usually disappointed... save for the strapping young Maori man on my Air New Zealand flight a few years back.

See? Both sides want the same thing! Hire on looks!
cavete terrae.

Grue, last time that fantasy of yours existed was on Southwest in the '70s ...

I remember the TV ads!

Somthing like: {close up on stewardess talking} Other airlines may have nice meals, more luxuurious seats, assigned seatings, alchool, and even pillows..... {pan camera out for full view of stewardess} But we have hotpants!

:ph34r:
Remster

I want a hot young chick that's easy on the eyes. Stop hiring on qualifications for stewardesses, start hiring on looks. THAT will help customer opinion as much as anything. It doesn't take years of experience to roll a cart down the aisle and give me a can of mountain dew (no cup please, thank you miss. Or ma'am, these days), and whoever delivers that ambrosia to me would ideally be someone I can fantasize about taking into the tiny bathroom and having wild sex with to pass the time.

Too bad Hooters Air stopped flying, huh?? :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So folks, what are your suggestions to stop terrorism? Let's be solution orientated. What do you suggest? Profiling? That may hurt too many feelings. Would you feel better if just the Muslim folks traveling were subjegated to these measures. No I'm sure not. We're all in this together. If there are better ideas lemme know. Let our Senators know. Let's bitch at them.

You want my honest suggestion? Be proactive, not reactive. Stop sticking our fucking noses in other peoples' business. Our involvement in the middle east is what brought this shit on.

Being proactive--yes let's try isolationism again please. Fuck everybody in the world whom is being opressed because we don't want to get involved. Let's forget that 9/11 ever happened and that there are people in this world that HATE us for who we are, what we stand for and our religious beliefs. Do you really believe at this point pulling our troops out and saying fend for yourself will stop terrorism. Nope--they want all of us dead.

So again, should we pull out of the middle east after we have blown up all of their shit, dissected and removed a gov't corrupt and genocidal system and leave their economy in shambles like we did after the Gulf War? Oh yes, that will help popular opinion of the people that we are actually trying to liberate.

I don't know what the solution is at this point.

Can't we all just get along? :S

As for the safety issues and "window dressing" we are doing by all the measures being taken with carry on luggage, we have got to do something better to be more secure. The terrorists will always be looking for weaknesses in our security system--it is up to us to strengthen it. Let's throw $$ at improving the technology to detect bombs. The question is, is the American gov't willing to lay out the $$ for the technology for our safety--or is it easier to just do a risk analysis and pay for damages after people are blown up? Bottom line--our gov't is way too reactionary like Grue said. But proactive doesn't mean giving up on the idea that every human being deserves the right to live a good life.

But we have hotpants!

Wait, wait, where's my airline with men in hot pants?

Actually, no, I don't think even I want to see that. But some nice shirtless boys bringing me cockatillios would make air travel *much* more pleasant.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

But we have hotpants!

Wait, wait, where's my airline with men in hot pants?

Bla bla bla...

http://www.southwest.com/multimedia/PLANEOVR.MOV

http://www.southwest.com/multimedia/hotpants.mov

With Southwest's reputation for employee longevity and loyalty, I'm willing to bet those young ladies are still working for Southwest today. Wonder if they'd still be willing to wear those hot pants now? :)

I gotta Jump to Dave’s Defense here..

I noticed recently when cleaning out my normal travel bag that I took this in my carry-on to Tahoe & back.

Blues,
Dave

Followed by this:

teach a retarded monkey to get a dangerous item on an airplane.

There is a difference between "a retarded monkey" and a "Poor Misunderstood Ape"!!:P:D

Not sure what it is.. But I am sure that there is a difference somewhere.:P:D

:D

Our involvement in the MIDDLE EAST is not what brought on the hatred to the West. My young Grue, apparently you've been listening to your college professors a little too much. Listen to somebody with "real world" experience for once. Europe is not neck deep in Middle East affairs and they are paying the price as well. Denmark found that out a coupla years ago when VanGogh (the author) was assassinated by Muslisms because he wrote a book that didn't jibe with the beliefs of Muslims. Look at France, perhaps THE biggest supporters of the Middle East economically and in culture. You saw what happened to them back in October/November. How many cars were burned? 15,000 (close to that). France tried telling the world its because of an employment policy. When is the last time you saw somebody in any of our states go out and torch the town because of an unpopular "employment policy"?
What about the Austrailian resort town blown up a couple of years ago? What did those tourists that got their shit blown to the wind do to deserve that? There are major differences. We go after terrorists and have collateral damage. The terrorists go after civilian targets and its just a bonus if the U.S. military gets hit at the same time. Why does everybody boohoo about the terrorists? When your family gets blown to the sky while shopping or eating lunch and minding their own business, I suppose you will have a different tune. THe only reason Radical Islam is here is to destroy the infidels at any cost. It doesn't matter if we pulled everybody back into the u.s. and we became isolationists. They will not stop until we are dead. And the answer is "yes, I do have REAL WORLD experience". My college was the world. It wasn't some small town in Iowa where a professor tells his class how bad the United States is. If he/she hates it so much, leave.
Back to the subject at hand. It is a pain in the ass going through the airports as I have posted just 1 week ago. But if they are telling us to leave everything in the basket, I will have to suffer that inconvenience like everybody else. I would rather make it to my destination rather than blow up over British Columbia. I too am a firm believer in profiling. You shouldn't strip search granny while you let 3 Muslim men walk on board an aircraft because you don't want to offend them. Political correctness is the American downfall. I speak my mind. Nobody ever has to second guess me because I tell you right up front what my opinion is. Your opinion may not coincide with mine, but we can respectfully disagree.

HEY! >:(

Krisanne and I have tried our hardest to keep this from going Speaker's Cornerish... Try to keep up!

Remi, maybe you should post a photo of you in hot pants. :ph34r:

HEY! >:(

Krisanne and I have tried our hardest to keep this from going Speaker's Cornerish... Try to keep up!

Remi, maybe you should post a photo of you in hot pants. :ph34r:

lets not do that.... or I'll post somthing...
something terrible!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865