froggie

for the old timers....

Yep, I reckon Sis might be more experienced than me after all... ;)
I did lurk for quite a while (here and on rec.) before deciding which one I would *grace* with my presence...
I owe this site a lot, bought my first rig here, researched my new rig here and found a great place to buy from (Roy - Rigs n Things). I also made a lot of friends here, quite a few I have since met up with (remember the Texel Euro DZ.com boogie? - BenW, wingnut, mooose and myself all in hawaiin shirts). I remember getting really pissed off by all the anonymous posters (which was why I registered this nick, initially used it to have a go at them) and being advised back then already not to retaliate since it only spirals into a freakin mess.
/a (the not so anonymous /s)

Ditto

I was also starting to feel this way. I don't really consider myself a total newbie. I was on the forum back a while ago, but left for a few months...I came back and changed my user name, but I still feel unwelcome sometimes. I'm glad someone posted the question to the old timers and that the response from them was positive. I missed the forum while I was gone and am so happy to be back.

Still shedding whuffo-ness
Check out the Hardcore Whuffo pages

michele,
please dont think that! its soooooooooo not true. what i was trying to do was exactly what im sure i did... bring a smile to the faces of some folks here. I dont have anywhere near as much time to visit this site as i use to. with that in mind, i log on and feel lost. I dont have the PC abilities, or the time, to read every single thread. not when im home to sleep and shower and then im off to the dz. I havent even eaten a single meal here in 3 weeks. So when i log on, and see all these new people, new topics, stories im not familiar with.. well, that gets kinda weird. Ive followed your progression, and im damned proud of you!!! I even bragged about you the other week to one of our Instructors here at Xkeys.
Sis is right, it seems like so long ago i went thru ground school and began doing solos w/ one instructor. It was in march, not even 6 months ago! but it feels like such a long time. so much has happened, so much has changed. Im up to 25 jumps now.
To all my friends, sorry I havent been around much, skydiving has taken over my life, and the new found friends have been a big part of it. BUT I havent forgotten about you guys!
kel
PS- to all of our newer friends, dont stop sharing stuff about who you are... cant make good friends that way. WELCOME TO OUR LITTLE DEMENTED HOME!

Hey, Froggie.
I know you meant nothing other than to bring a smile to some faces. And after the recent mood here on the boards, it is needed, and I say thank you for that.
Because this was a benign post, I decided to respond the way I have. I figured it would be more appropriate to post my concerns as a response to this post, rather than possibly instigate some sort of - idunno - fight - by making it a stand alone post.
Unfortunately, thre were two folks who posted that they had been feeling and noticing similar things. I had sincerely hoped that I was being overly sensitive.
Fortunately, there were several really excellent responses from old timers who explained their views, and helped explain what has been happening. Thank you for that. I can see your position much clearer, and it has to be hard for you guys to not have that small town feeling any more.
But it's really hard for the new kids, too. At least for me. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I know that I have several times felt as if obscure references were made about me, or about other new kids. It's hard, coming into a community, hard to enter into the "circle" of friends that have been established. It is hard to talk about things which happen, because I am concerned that it will be seen as "intrusive", or violate some protocol that is unwritten but obeyed instictively.
It's hard, but no harder than jumping out of a plane. I suppose I am asking those folks who wish that it were the same to accept that is isn't the same, but it can be excellent for us and them, at the same time.
I know I have counted on the support from these boards and from friends, unmet and unseen, to help me through some of the rougher moments in my AFF, and after my AFF. I have made friends on these boards who I value highly, and who I respect totally. I guess it just hurts to see some of these same and respected people making reference to the good old days, and how the influx of new people was disrupting the stability of the boards.
THanks for making people smile, Froggie, and thanks for understanding that us new kids are struggling to feel at home here, too.
ciels-
Michele
(p.s.: did you really - really????- brag about me? How flattering! Thanks!:$)
"What of the dreams that never die? Turn to your left at the end of the sky".
~e e cummings~

Froggie,

Remember when the polar bear wasn't finished yet and we all waited intently for the finished pics of it?

Hon, I hate to tell you this but the bear is as finished as it will ever be (on my part. It is now up to someone else to spend money on him) and is now up for sale...I can't take it to Australia cause they don't allow left hand drive cars on their roads and I just don't have it in my heart to let him sit idly by while waiting on race days...he needs to be driven daily to keep him going strong...besides, somebody needs to feed victims to him every once in a while...he thrives on fresh blood...click on the "attachment" under my name to see him for the last time...
FFF

Sis,
I remember this time last year, when you'd just replied to one of the best posts ever, something like "Can a whuffo relationship ever work". There was no backstabing and backbiting then!! Just plain old, NON-pc fun!
YOU must pretty much be the ol' lady of this place! Along with Pammi that is...
Ahh, the good ol' days....
B.

Hi froggie --- I don't get on here too often these days either. Some of the "newbies" talk up stuff that I don't dig too much, so I stay away.

Remember when...
The battle of the sexs ran strong and ended with the girls winning?

That's not the way I remember it!!!!! I seem to remember me, skyhawk and the Wing Commander gettin' naked for the ladies, then not seeing any of what you gals promised! ;)
I've been around here longer than almost anyone... and I'll keep dropping by now and then just to visit. Hi there, all ya old timers. Froggie's right ... it's just not the same anymore... BUT, there are lots of good new people around! Yes, I DO remember all those things, Froggie -- I even remember when YOU were new! Love ya!
Anyway, Bossman ... the site is looking great, and workin' fine now that you've returned from your quest!
Frank

remember when the only frequent posters were Monk, Freaksis, Pammi, Merrick, SpeedRacer, and JKA. I lurked more than I posted. Sometimes I still do.
hey how bout me
That's not the way I remember it!!!!! I seem to remember me, skyhawk and the Wing Commander gettin' naked for the ladies, then not seeing any of what you gals promised!
he he he
Yer im not coming on much now time and also cause everthing on here has changed and i dont like alot of it you cant expect everyone to change thats just selfish so im just going to lurk occasionaly it was nice to meet you all
fff when you coming to aus and where are you going?

skyhawk
re: "fff when you coming to aus and where are you going?"
FFF will be in Melbourne for a month or two around Christmas, but you won't be able to see him because I will be holding him captive for my own pleasure (handcuffs, whips, leather, etc.) !!!!!!!!
When he moves here early next year I might let him out to see what other Australians are like, maybe even check out the country via various dropzones, if he is very good............
Kylie
(you know I love you FFF)

Whoa.... Its like déjà vu.... :|

...All Over Again?!:S

On the other hand, wouldn't it be 'cool' in a metaphysical kinda way to go back into time during your life....'click' on a subject and try to 'back paddle' on some of the comments ya made to someone?!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

On the other hand, wouldn't it be 'cool' in a metaphysical kinda way to go back into time during your life....'click' on a subject and try to 'back paddle' on some of the comments ya made to someone?!

Every now and then I turn on one piece of my "wayback" machine and go read this.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)